Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33702913)

Spaceboyo 06-11-2016 10:22

Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Well now I've had time to play with the box, been busy!

First bug is that Netflix doesn't currently work on V6 box, apparently due to be fixed (new code written) by 09/11/16

TAZMANUK 06-11-2016 10:44

And whats the extra cost for this box

denphone 06-11-2016 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAZMANUK (Post 35867957)

l suppose we will have to wait until the 30th of November for that news ones suspects.

Mr K 06-11-2016 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35867975)
l suppose we will have to wait until the 30th of November for that news ones suspects.

It will be 'free' of course to replace the not fit for purpose TiVo box. No end of updates have failed to solve its speed problem, so presumably a box replacement is the only solution. Have faith on VM, like what I do ;)

denphone 06-11-2016 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35867988)
It will be 'free' of course to replace the not fit for purpose TiVo box. No end of updates have failed to solve its speed problem, so presumably a box replacement is the only solution. Have faith on VM, like what I do ;)

l have faith in a good many things Mr K unlike your good self.;)

southlad 06-11-2016 13:19

A quick search on Twitter for 'Virgin V6' and I found this tweet...

https://twitter.com/qasimsaleem321/s...14244549558272

RichardCoulter 06-11-2016 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceboyo (Post 35867942)
I can confirm that I'm in the South West and had the V6 installed.

Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vm_tech (Post 35867944)
Here come the accusations of being lied to, and probably a threat of legal action...

I obviously was given incorrect information. Explain what you mean by "legal action" as it makes no sense.

The only reference that i've made to "legal action" is if VM refuse to pick up my equipment and then charge me for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35867945)
As night turns to day and day turns to night one imagines.;)

Hasn't another member already pulled you up for your "vacuous posts"?

martyh 06-11-2016 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by southlad (Post 35867994)
A quick search on Twitter for 'Virgin V6' and I found this tweet...

https://twitter.com/qasimsaleem321/s...14244549558272

That's the ugliest box i ever saw

RichardCoulter 06-11-2016 13:23

Quote:

This is what i'm currently pushing for as a minimum to retain my personal/business custom.

Mr K 06-11-2016 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35867990)
l have faith in a good many things Mr K unlike your good self.;)

I have faith in many things Den:-
- The NHS coping this winter,
- England's batting resistance against Indian spinners next week
- Donald Trump bring peace an harmony to the world
- VM producing a decent TV box
And many other things, but must sign off as Matron is doing lock up soon....

RichardCoulter 06-11-2016 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35867997)
That's the ugliest box i ever saw

It is ugly, but you can hide it as it has Bluetooth.

---------- Post added at 13:40 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35867950)
It appears the new box needs to be connected to your Hub according to this link , what will happen for those who have their TV service located a great distance from the Hub. Surely using Netflix 4K and YouTube 4K will rely on a decent enough connection to your hub and most will try wifi.
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...s/td-p/3248075

AIUI Home plugs will be made available.

AndyCambs 06-11-2016 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAZMANUK (Post 35867957)

As I've currently got a TiVo plus a V+ box, I guess even if there's no additional charge for the V6 box, I'll have to pay extra to upgrade the V+ box to a TiVo...

Ddonald2016 06-11-2016 14:18

Quote:

Hi it will be free of course it will no doubt but there will come a installation charge

Stephen 06-11-2016 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35867996)
Thank you.

I obviously was given incorrect information. Explain what you mean by "legal action" as it makes no sense.

The only reference that i've made to "legal action" is if VM refuse to pick up my equipment and then charge me for it.

Hasn't another member already pulled you up for your "vacuous posts"?

As I stated before VM are perfectly entitled to charge you for non returned equipment. The T&Cs do state it belongs to them

Ifthey bow to your demands then they would have to do so for others all customers are giv3n the same returns pack when leaving

Relative got installed yesterday but just got the current TiVo

RichardCoulter 06-11-2016 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35868022)
As I stated before VM are perfectly entitled to charge you for non returned equipment. The T&Cs do state it belongs to them

Ifthey bow to your demands then they would have to do so for others all customers are giv3n the same returns pack when leaving

Relative got installed yesterday but just got the current TiVo

As I explained, if they do not make adjustments for disabled customers as per the requirements of the Equality Act ie pick the equipment up and then go on to try and charge me for it, this would make a very interesting court case.

I doubt an old slow TiVo has any market value, but that's beside the point.

If I end up staying (it's looking promising so far), do you know if the courier will pick up the old box when they deliver the new one?

Whether I stay or leave, the old box will need to be picked up and taken back.

Stephen 06-11-2016 16:17

Put it in the bag and get a friend or family member to take it to one of the many collect+ locations.

Unless you are totally house bound then VM don't need to make any changes to their equipment collection process. The courier wouldn't collect it as that isn't what he will be asked to do.

It may be old but VM still have value in it as it will be recycled for new customers.

RichardCoulter 06-11-2016 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35868042)
Put it in the bag and get a friend or family member to take it to one of the many collect+ locations.

Unless you are totally house bound then VM don't need to make any changes to their equipment collection process. The courier wouldn't collect it as that isn't what he will be asked to do.

It may be old but VM still have value in it as it will be recycled for new customers.

I suggest that you have a read of the 2010 Equality Act. VM have already said that they will accommodate my various requests to retain our custom, but the sticking point is that at the moment they say they cannot let me have a new box.

If this isn't sorted out soon, they will be too late and the cancellations will begin.

If correct, it beggars belief that these useless boxes will be palmed off on new customers.

I'm not blaming any new customers for this, but it also beggars belief that customers of many years are expected to put up with the old TiVo, whilst some new customers are getting a new one!

I suppose it's down to them putting their own convenience before that of their customers ie an installer would probably have to attend anyway.

vm_tech 06-11-2016 17:52

Or it could be that VM doesn't have 2m (roughly) set top boxes and the man power to swap them all out in one hit?

blackthorn 06-11-2016 17:58

Sounds like you`re trying to hold them to ransom and saying give me one of the new boxes or I`m going. Good job I dont work in customer services for vm I`d just say bye bye

OLD BOY 06-11-2016 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35868058)
I suggest that you have a read of the 2010 Equality Act. VM have already said that they will accommodate my various requests to retain our custom, but the sticking point is that at the moment they say they cannot let me have a new box.

If this isn't sorted out soon, they will be too late and the cancellations will begin.

If correct, it beggars belief that these useless boxes will be palmed off on new customers.

I'm not blaming any new customers for this, but it also beggars belief that customers of many years are expected to put up with the old TiVo, whilst some new customers are getting a new one!

I suppose it's down to them putting their own convenience before that of their customers ie an installer would probably have to attend anyway.

Maybe they are worried that you will pound the life out of the box and start providing negative reviews before it is even launched!

They are advertising the new V6 from 30 November, and no-one has the right to take possession of one until VM make it generally available. So I guess you will be leaving, then...

RichardCoulter 06-11-2016 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackthorn (Post 35868069)
Sounds like you`re trying to hold them to ransom and saying give me one of the new boxes or I`m going. Good job I dont work in customer services for vm I`d just say bye bye

I'm saying to them treat me properly and provide me with an acceptable service as a customer or I will leave, which is my right.

I don't see why customers should be subject to the whims of somebody in a call centre; shareholders and Directors deserve better than this.

CS did did exactly as you say, which is why the matter has been escalated.

However, to be fair, I received a phone call last week to apologise and most matters of discontent have now been resolved to mutual satisfaction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vm_tech (Post 35868068)
Or it could be that VM doesn't have 2m (roughly) set top boxes and the man power to swap them all out in one hit?

I'm sure this is the case, but thats not my problem. They should run their business in a more professional manner.

If other people are prepared to pay a premium price for a sub standard product, that is entirely their business, but after about six months I will no longer tolerate it, nor the cheek of a price rise on top!

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35868072)
Maybe they are worried that you will pound the life out of the box and start providing negative reviews before it is even launched!

They are advertising the new V6 from 30 November, and no-one has the right to take possession of one until VM make it generally available. So I guess you will be leaving, then...

Why do you think that they will be worried about that?

Nobody has a "right" to have a box in any circumstances and nobody has ever suggested otherwise, but if they don't provide one the various contracts will be allowed to expire and not renewed.

They are free to choose either option.

GrimUpNorth 06-11-2016 19:41

Sometimes it's just better to let a customer leave.

Cheers

Grim

RichardCoulter 06-11-2016 20:12

Some people wouldn't last five minutes in business.

vm_tech 06-11-2016 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35868110)

VM should make you CEO, I'm sure they can do with your expert knowledge

Hugh 06-11-2016 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35868110)

Yes - people who keep customers that lose them money...

Mr Banana 06-11-2016 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by vm_tech (Post 35868123)

Nah, people who are so self opiniated seldom make good CEO's

Anypermitedroute 06-11-2016 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Banana (Post 35868140)

I don't know, many CEO have been known not to tell the truth

dodgem22 06-11-2016 22:15

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/camp...-v6-about.html

just come across this page dont know if its been posted elsewhere on here

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/camp...soon-faqs.html

blue666666 06-11-2016 22:50

in the small print the cost for a v6 box not to bad

Installation: An engineer installation fee applies (starting from £40 for standard install).
Activation Fee: There is an activation fee of £14.99.

RichardCoulter 06-11-2016 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by vm_tech (Post 35868123)

I wouldn't want to be the VM CEO, I'm getting to that time of life where I'm slowing down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35868136)
Yes - people who keep customers that lose them money...

We've gone over this already in another thread Hugh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Banana (Post 35868140)

I won't put up with a price increase for a poor product, if that makes me "self opinionated"; so be it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anypermitedroute (Post 35868156)
I don't know, many CEO have been known not to tell the truth

Who isn't telling the truth and what aren't they telling the truth about?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgem22 (Post 35868157)
http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/camp...-v6-about.html

just come across this page dont know if its been posted elsewhere on here

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/camp...soon-faqs.html

I'm not sure Dodgem, but thank you anyway, it's been a while since anything was posted that's pertinent to the subject of the V6 box.

paultrademark 06-11-2016 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35868163)
I'm not sure Dodgem, but thank you anyway, it's been a while since anything was posted that's pertinent to the subject of the V6 box.

Correct, it's just full of your own self-importance and how VM should pander to you :erm:

Ddonald2016 06-11-2016 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue666666 (Post 35868162)
in the small print the cost for a v6 box not to bad

Installation: An engineer installation fee applies (starting from £40 for standard install).
Activation Fee: There is an activation fee of £14.99.

Look at the wording - starting from £40 -

blue666666 07-11-2016 00:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 (Post 35868167)

fair point it could be more.

1andrew1 07-11-2016 00:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue666666 (Post 35868171)
fair point it could be more.

£40 is standard installation cost. I guess they need to add the "from" bit for unusual installations.

blue666666 07-11-2016 01:05

also there is a activation fee too so it 55 pound all together. if the cost is at 55 pound for a v6 box then i would go for it. the only problem for me is that my 4k tv has netflix and youtube already.hopefully virgin get BT sport 4k.sky sport 4k or some vod content from sky or some other network.

RichardCoulter 07-11-2016 04:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by paultrademark (Post 35868164)
Correct, it's just full of your own self-importance and how VM should pander to you :erm:

No, it's full of some individuals trying to derail the thread whilst trying to be clever.

VM should provide good customer service & quality products (or pandering as you call it) to every customer- me included.

Let's move on now please.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 (Post 35868167)

How one word can change the meaning of something so much :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35868172)
£40 is standard installation cost. I guess they need to add the "from" bit for unusual installations.

Let's hope that's what it is.

Hugh 07-11-2016 07:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35868163)
I wouldn't want to be the VM CEO, I'm getting to that time of life where I'm slowing down. There are probably a lot more relevant reasons than that, such as you've never run a multi-billion pound company with 10s of thousands of employees....

We've gone over this already in another thread Hugh.
Doesn't make it any less true...

I won't put up with a price increase for a poor product, if that makes me "self opinionated"; so be it. That's not what makes you 'self opinionated'... ;)

Who isn't telling the truth and what aren't they telling the truth about?

OLD BOY 07-11-2016 08:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue666666 (Post 35868175)
also there is a activation fee too so it 55 pound all together. if the cost is at 55 pound for a v6 box then i would go for it. the only problem for me is that my 4k tv has netflix and youtube already.hopefully virgin get BT sport 4k.sky sport 4k or some vod content from sky or some other network.

From what I have been able to gleen, the premium Sky UHD channels will be exclusive to Sky's satellite customers for the first year.

We should be getting Amazon as well later this week, and there are other apps coming too, hopefully.

I am disappointed that there is no confirmation of a 2TB box. I really need more recording space!

---------- Post added at 08:06 ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35868178)
No, it's full of some individuals trying to derail the thread whilst trying to be clever.

But to be fair, Richard, you have made this thread all about you. We all want to get on and discuss the V6, so let's now concentrate on that, rather than how you say Virgin Media are treating you.

Ddonald2016 07-11-2016 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35868172)

I think the £40 will be for the 1tb and more for 2tb then any box cost if they add one on top, I'm sure we find out in 3 weeks

---------- Post added at 09:25 ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35868205)
From what I have been able to gleen, the premium Sky UHD channels will be exclusive to Sky's satellite customers for the first year.

We should be getting Amazon as well later this week, and there are other apps coming too, hopefully.

I am disappointed that there is no confirmation of a 2TB box. I really need more recording space!

---------- Post added at 08:06 ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 ----------

But to be fair, Richard, you have made this thread all about you. We all want to get on and discuss the V6, so let's now concentrate on that, rather than how you say Virgin Media are treating you.

No need to gang up on Richard, it's a bit childish and he is only talking

OLD BOY 07-11-2016 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 (Post 35868220)

No need to gang up on Richard, it's a bit childish and he is only talking

I was not ganging up on Richard, simply explaining to him that if he (as the rest of us) want to talk about the V6, his issues regarding the way he has been treated are not relevant to this thread.

Ddonald2016 07-11-2016 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35868226)
I was not ganging up on Richard, simply explaining to him that if he (as the rest of us) want to talk about the V6, his issues regarding the way he has been treated are not relevant to this thread.

No I get that totally. But to say he is making the thread about him is not right and yes this isn't the correct forum. Could there not be a gripe forum set up

---------- Post added at 09:56 ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35868178)

VM should provide good customer service & quality products (or pandering as you call it) to every customer- me included.

Let's move on now please.

How one word can change the meaning of something so much :D

Let's hope that's what it is.

Easy £40 means £40 from means other charges are possible like more than one box

Ultimate.Conj 07-11-2016 10:02

There also didn't seem to be any mention of an additional monthly cost for the V6 like the Tivo had over the V+ box.

Maybe that will be revealed on the 30th?
Or maybe one of you guys have spotted it already?

Ddonald2016 07-11-2016 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj (Post 35868235)
There also didn't seem to be any mention of an additional monthly cost for the V6 like the Tivo had over the V+ box.

Maybe that will be revealed on the 30th?
Or maybe one of you guys have spotted it already?

Media boy informed us due to information in august there was a £10 and £15 a month charge for using the box m

1andrew1 07-11-2016 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 (Post 35868239)
Media boy informed us due to information in august there was a £10 and £15 a month charge for using the box m

he also said this information was liable to change...which it has so I would wait for further news and the official reveal.

dodgem22 07-11-2016 10:51

TiVo: The monthly TiVo charge is £5 per TiVo box (on top of your Player TV, Mix TV, Fun TV or Full House TV package’). Content available to view depends on your TV package. TiVo box remains property of Virgin Media.

Taken from page in link from the small print. However that small print does refer to recording 3 shows while watching a forth and still mentions the 500gig tivo so these could be the terms regarding the current Tivo not the v6 so may not be fully updated yet

muppetman11 07-11-2016 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35868205)

What Sky UHD channels ? There isn't any.

Gavin-D 07-11-2016 11:14

Unless Virgin were to get some 4K content like BT sport or other channels I have no reason to get the new box my TV already has Netflix and Youtube in 4K

passingbat 07-11-2016 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35868247)
Unless Virgin were to get some 4K content like BT sport or other channels I have no reason to get the new box my TV already has Netflix and Youtube in 4K

I would like it just for speed and the 6 tuners.

Ultimate.Conj 07-11-2016 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35868244)
What Sky UHD channels ? There isn't any.

The have the football accessed via the red button in 4K on Sky Sports. The F1 will be the same I imagine for next season. They have 4K movies on demand, but also 30 movies in UHD for those with Sky Cinema

At the time of writing, 30 films are available in UHD to anyone with a Sky Cinema subscription. These are: Amistad, Angels & Demons, Annie, Captive, Chappie, Everest, Forrest Gump, Fury, The Godfather, The Godfather Part II, Groundhog Day, The Guns Of Navarone, Lawrence of Arabia, The Martian, Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation, No Good Deed, The Patriot, Mall Cop 2, Pixels, Project Almanac, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse, Spectre, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3, The Spongebob Movie, Talladega Nights, Terminator Genisys, Think Like A Man Too, Top Five and The Wedding Ringer

They may not have a dedicated channel, but they have a dedicated service...you are trying to pick things apart when you know what OB means.

muppetman11 07-11-2016 11:48

I'm not trying to pick anything apart they do not have any UHD channels. A few events a week doesn't make it a channel. You've said it On Demand with several UHD sporting events a week.

1andrew1 07-11-2016 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35868247)

Has your TV got Amazon? I suspect that Virgin Movies will offer 4K content too making four sources in total, maybe some commissioned content will be announced making five.

Ultimate.Conj 07-11-2016 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35868256)
I'm not trying to pick anything apart they do not have any UHD channels. A few events a week doesn't make it a channel. You've said it On Demand with several UHD sporting events a week.

I'm not arguing with you.
You know, I know, OB knows and everyone else on here knows there are no Sky UHD channels.

But when OB uses the phrase "Premium UHD channels", I took it to mean the 4K football and 4K movies that only sky customers would have exclusive access too.

You just tried to make a smart ass comment to make it look like you know everything :mad::td:

muppetman11 07-11-2016 12:11

No smart ass comment at all , simply confirmed to him there are no UHD channels. Simple really.

I'm not arguing yeah right your last paragraph says otherwise , since when has it become a crime to deal in facts on a forum ?

Just because you know there's no UHD channels don't assume everyone does.

OLD BOY 07-11-2016 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35868265)
No smart ass comment at all , simply confirmed to him there are no UHD channels. Simple really.

I'm not arguing yeah right your last paragraph says otherwise , since when has it become a crime to deal in facts on a forum ?

Just because you know there's no UHD channels don't assume everyone does.

Ok,ok...yes there are no UHD broadcast channels yet on Sky. But you realise that the word 'channel' has a wider meaning than you have interpreted here, right?

I do understand that confusion, so no criticism from me. However, you do assume that there will not ever be a Sky Cinema UHD or a Sky Sports UHD. I dare say there will be!

Kabaal 07-11-2016 13:38

So if i'm reading this right the new box doesn't offer anything more in the way of 4K content than an Amazon Fire TV 4K does? I really hope they have scrapped the idea of having a monthly cost then as it seems to me we'd be paying that fee (for the time being at least) solely for the privilege of running the UI at a decent speed instead of brokenly slow on the Tivo.

RichardCoulter 07-11-2016 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35868254)
I would like it just for speed and the 6 tuners.

Agreed, until I get a 4K TV, that's all i'll be using my new box for anyway.

Had a phone call this morning and i'm pleased to say that VM have been very accommodating in all areas.

1andrew1 07-11-2016 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabaal (Post 35868288)
So if i'm reading this right the new box doesn't offer anything more in the way of 4K content than an Amazon Fire TV 4K does? I really hope they have scrapped the idea of having a monthly cost then as it seems to me we'd be paying that fee (for the time being at least) solely for the privilege of running the UI at a decent speed instead of brokenly slow on the Tivo.

Presumably it will offer the ability for live 4K TV when channels are launched and VM signs contracts with them. Until then, it will be on-demand, maybe some exclusive content. Amazon does not offer live 4K content at the moment.

muppetman11 07-11-2016 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35868285)
Ok,ok...yes there are no UHD broadcast channels yet on Sky. But you realise that the word 'channel' has a wider meaning than you have interpreted here, right?

I do understand that confusion, so no criticism from me. However, you do assume that there will not ever be a Sky Cinema UHD or a Sky Sports UHD. I dare say there will bd!

Who knows what the future holds channel wise , I never for one minute thought there would be criticism , I guess someone just got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.:D

UHD is very costly to broadcast hence why early doors it's On Demand and selected football.

RichardCoulter 07-11-2016 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35868293)
Who knows what the future holds channel wise , I never for one minute thought there would be criticism , I guess someone just got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.:D

UHD is very costly to broadcast hence why early doors it's On Demand and selected football.

Was reading about this yesterday and the general consensus was that the most efficient way to broadcast UHD is via IPTV anyway.

Ultimate.Conj 07-11-2016 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35868293)

Yeah I read that in an article somewhere too. Don't think we'll see too many UHD channels just yet

Gavin-D 07-11-2016 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35868261)
Has your TV got Amazon? I suspect that Virgin Movies will offer 4K content too making four sources in total, maybe some commissioned content will be announced making five.

It has indeed it's a Samsung curved 4K TV so it has all the latest apps

Netflix, Youtube, BBC iplayer, 5OD etc

kingdaveontour 07-11-2016 14:11

http://mediaboyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2...to-launch.html

OLD BOY 07-11-2016 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabaal (Post 35868288)

There will be UHD material on Netflix as well. I would imagine that more and more UHD will be available on demand before much longer.

---------- Post added at 15:30 ---------- Previous post was at 15:28 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35868292)
Presumably it will offer the ability for live 4K TV when channels are launched and VM signs contracts with them. Until then, it will be on-demand, maybe some exclusive content. Amazon does not offer live 4K content at the moment.

I am sure that Amazon will be following Netflix's lead in the very near future.

Kabaal 07-11-2016 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35868318)
There will be UHD material on Netflix as well. I would imagine that more and more UHD will be available on demand before much longer.

I can already get 4K Netflix on my Amazon Fire TV, it's just an app that most of us already have on other devices. That was exactly my point, it's not adding anything in the way of 4K that we can't already get on a £70 box so until some indeterminate point in the future when 4K channels eventually appear any monthly fee will essentially just be for a faster Tivo UI and 2 extra tuners. It will be nice to have but not monthly fee nice to have.

OLD BOY 07-11-2016 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabaal (Post 35868331)
I can already get 4K Netflix on my Amazon Fire TV, it's just an app that most of us already have on other devices. That was exactly my point, it's not adding anything in the way of 4K that we can't already get on a £70 box so until some indeterminate point in the future when 4K channels eventually appear any monthly fee will essentially just be for a faster Tivo UI and 2 extra tuners. It will be nice to have but not monthly fee nice to have.

Kabaal, you are forgetting that most do not have additional gadgets enabling them to watch Amazon and other streaming services on their TVs.

However, whether they do or not, this enables you to watch all these on demand services from one box. If Virgin add a good quantity of streaming services on their new V6, the need for all these boxes to get maximum TV choice will be unnecessary.

Not only do multiple boxes clutter up your lounge but it can work out quite expensive.

Kabaal 07-11-2016 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35868334)
Kabaal, you are forgetting that most do not have additional gadgets enabling them to watch Amazon and other streaming services on their TVs.

However, whether they do or not, this enables you to watch all these on demand services from one box. If Virgin add a good quantity of streaming services on their new V6, the need for all these boxes to get maximum TV choice will be unnecessary.

Not only do multiple boxes clutter up your lounge but it can work out quite expensive.

You are talking as though it takes multiple boxes to get the different streaming apps, it doesn't. You can get 4k Netflix, 4k Amazon, Now TV and all the usual catch ups on a single box that fit's in the palm of your hand costs half the price of what a monthly fee for the V6 would over a year.

If it doesn't have a monthly fee then great, none of this matters and i'd be happy to replace my tivo with one, but if you are trying to convince me that £10 a month (or however much) is better than paying £70 for a tiny box that can do all that anyway you are wasting your time. In a years time if Virgin has exclusive 4K content then that would be a different matter, but right now they don't.

OLD BOY 07-11-2016 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabaal (Post 35868344)
You are talking as though it takes multiple boxes to get the different streaming apps, it doesn't. You can get 4k Netflix, 4k Amazon, Now TV and all the usual catch ups on a single box that fit's in the palm of your hand costs half the price of what a monthly fee for the V6 would over a year.

If it doesn't have a monthly fee then great, none of this matters and i'd be happy to replace my tivo with one, but if you are trying to convince me that £10 a month (or however much) is better than paying £70 for a tiny box that can do all that anyway you are wasting your time. In a years time if Virgin has exclusive 4K content then that would be a different matter, but right now they don't.

We don't yet have any information from Virgin that an additional monthly fee will apply. Just an installation fee and an activation fee.

By the way, what 'tiny box' are you referring to? With Now TV on it?

scollie 07-11-2016 18:01

I've seen a few posts asking whether the V6 needs the superhub 3 to work but I haven't seen anyone confirm this - can anyone who has had one installed confirm this?

I currently have the superhub 2, does anyone know whether VM will update this automatically to SH3 if I get a V6 or will I have to pay to have it upgraded? (Assuming it is required for the V6 to work!).

RobboEdin 07-11-2016 18:08

I doubt you will need a Hub 3.0 as it is likely that the V6 can be used with other broadband suppliers product.

Andy C 07-11-2016 18:28

I've just called faults as every recording is corrupt now and the agent checked and confirmed the drive had many bad sectors. I'm booked in for a replacement on Friday but pretty certain it'll be another TiVo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35868037)
As I explained, if they do not make adjustments for disabled customers as per the requirements of the Equality Act ie pick the equipment up and then go on to try and charge me for it, this would make a very interesting court case.

Not being funny but I'm tetraplegic, wheelchair bound with no finger and limited arm movement. I still go out either by myself, with a friend or with a carer so a box could easily dropped off. Do you never go out?

Unless you are totally housebound or so severely disabled you physically can't take a box out of the house I doubt there would be any court case.

RichardCoulter 07-11-2016 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy C (Post 35868361)
I've just called faults as every recording is corrupt now and the agent checked and confirmed the drive had many bad sectors. I'm booked in for a replacement on Friday but pretty certain it'll be another TiVo.

Not being funny but I'm tetraplegic, wheelchair bound with no finger and limited arm movement. I still go out either by myself, with a friend or with a carer so a box could easily dropped off. Do you never go out?

Unless you are totally housebound or so severely disabled you physically can't take a box out of the house I doubt there would be any court case.

Everyone else has managed to move on from the off topic comments.

It was a non issue anyway as VM had agreed to collect my box, but I'm staying now in any case.

Paddy63 07-11-2016 22:02

The V6 will work with the shub2 as a minimum. If you want a V6 and have a shub1 you will be upgraded to a shub3.

passingbat 08-11-2016 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35868354)

By the way, what 'tiny box' are you referring to? With Now TV on it?

I'm guessing the one you have, a Roku stick, costing ATM £27.

1andrew1 08-11-2016 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35868472)
I'm guessing the one you have, a Roku stick, costing ATM £27.

That's not 4k though. The new PlayStation can do 4k and has Now TV on it but is not a tiny box. And you can't put Now TV on Amazon devices or Android devices so they're ruled out too. Apple TV is not 4k. What else is left?

Stephen 08-11-2016 08:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35868475)
That's not 4k though. The new PlayStation can do 4k and has Now TV on it but is not a tiny box. And you can't put Now TV on Amazon devices or Android devices so they're ruled out too. Apple TV is not 4k. What else is left?

What do you mean? I have now tv on my phone and tablet, both android.

Kabaal 08-11-2016 09:10

I actually thought you could have it on the AFTV but turns out you can't.

1andrew1 08-11-2016 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35868476)

Agreed. Sorry for my poor wording, I was talking in the context of TV boxes. As I understand it, you can't get Now TV on Android TV boxes.

passingbat 08-11-2016 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabaal (Post 35868478)
I actually thought you could have it on the AFTV but turns out you can't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35868480)
Agreed. Sorry for my poor wording, I was talking in the context of TV boxes. As I understand it, you can't get Now TV on Android TV boxes.

There is a way to load Now TV onto the AFTV, but it is the phone app and thus low quality.

Given that a Now TV box is fifteen quid, I don't get what the fuss is about. it is also available via LG bluray players.

dodgem22 08-11-2016 16:51

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...d/td-p/3251600

New board regarding the V6 on the Virgin community.

We're currently running a technical pilot which is why some of you very lucky people will have one installed at the moment.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...p/Virgin_TV_V6

Khenryashley 08-11-2016 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgem22 (Post 35868571)
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...d/td-p/3251600

New board regarding the V6 on the Virgin community.

We're currently running a technical pilot which is why some of you very lucky people will have one installed at the moment.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...p/Virgin_TV_V6

So all we know from this info is it's UHD and a bit faster.:o::zzz:

dodgem22 08-11-2016 18:56

yep theyre not giving much away are they. The questions and comments from those who have one though are snippets of information but not a lot granted.

passingbat 08-11-2016 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khenryashley (Post 35868592)
So all we know from this info is it's UHD and a bit faster.:o::zzz:

What source are you using for the 'bit' aspect of the bit faster comment?

Are you guessing, moaning for the sake of it, or actually have evidence?

OLD BOY 08-11-2016 19:09

Well, what we do know is that the new box has more tuners (6 altogether is likely); it is much more responsive; the basic box will be 1TB (but there may be another available at 2 TB); it is UHD ready. We may or may not have a new UI.

That alone is pretty exciting to me and I can't wait to hear about all the other features.

Bananaman_007 08-11-2016 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35868356)
I doubt you will need a Hub 3.0 as it is likely that the V6 can be used with other broadband suppliers product.

I was told by VM last month when i arranged my new contract i would need a hub 3 to get all the functions on the new box. This was from a VM employee who was testing the box. He sold me a new hub 3 for £14.99 (VM never took the money), so i was wondering if it was just sales patter.

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35868600)

That alone is pretty exciting to me and I can't wait to hear about all the other features.

There is a lot of talk about a new app which will let you watch recordings through it. I wonder if this has something to do with the possible hub 3 requirements.

RichardCoulter 08-11-2016 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35868476)

Now you have moved to Sky you could cancel this as I think they have their own version of VM's TV Anywhere.

RobboEdin 08-11-2016 20:13

The latest version of the iOS TV Anywhere app allows you to watch recordings from My Shows for V6 and to download one to the iPad or iPhone for offline viewing.
This can be done on V6 because V6 uses your home network whereas TiVo had only its own 10Mb internet connection with its feeble upload capability.

Stephen 08-11-2016 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35868624)
Now you have moved to Sky you could cancel this as I think they have their own version of VM's TV Anywhere.

Yes it's Sky Go, or I can use the Sky Q app for most things too.

I have nothing to cancel as I get Now TV free from another service provider.

OhReally 09-11-2016 00:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35868600)
Well, what we do know is that the new box has more tuners (6 altogether is likely); it is much more responsive; the basic box will be 1TB (but there may be another available at 2 TB); it is UHD ready. We may or may not have a new UI.

Given that hard drives cost about thruppence nowadays, should this come with 4TB as a minimum?

RobboEdin 09-11-2016 10:20

I'm really at a loss to understand why people want huge disks.

Even my elderly TiVo has a 1TB disk and, with only paltry MPEG2 encoding, it can store 120 hours of HD programs.

If, and I don't, have it full, when could I ever get round to watching all that material? Never and I'm retired and don't have to go to work 8 hours a day.

Why do people want to archive loads of material that they'll never, ever get round to watching?

OhReally 09-11-2016 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35868701)

Even my elderly TiVo has a 1TB disk and, with only paltry MPEG2 encoding, it can store 120 hours of HD programs.

If, and I don't, have it full, when could I ever get round to watching all that material? Never and I'm retired and don't have to go to work 8 hours a day.

Why do people want to archive loads of material that they'll never, ever get round to watching?

Because...

1. When there are 4 people in a house who all like to record and watch different things
2. Storing stuff up to watch an entire series at once over a weekend - multiple series
3. How much space will UHD take

1andrew1 09-11-2016 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhReally (Post 35868704)
Because...

1. When there are 4 people in a house who all like to record and watch different things
2. Storing stuff up to watch an entire series at once over a weekend - multiple series
3. How much space will UHD take

I guess the real debate is how many of these programmes are:
a) available on demand in the first place.
b) available on demand for a sufficient length of time for most people.

OLD BOY 09-11-2016 11:53

Quote:

Well, I have a 1 TB box and I had to stop recording in HD because it was taking up too much space.

My hard drive is almost full, with a good number of dramas, entertainment, science and history programmes, all in SD. I do not archive them. Once watched, they are deleted.

A 2TB box is essential for me so that I can record most of my programmes in HD.

---------- Post added at 11:53 ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35868715)
I guess the real debate is how many of these programmes are:
a) available on demand in the first place.
b) available on demand for a sufficient length of time for most people.

I would certainly make more use of on demand if the programmes were on there for a decent period of time. Deletion of shows on catch up after a week just doesn't do anything for me, I'm afraid. I only make use of catch up in emergencies!

muppetman11 09-11-2016 13:21

Most catchup is 30 days isn't it ?

1andrew1 09-11-2016 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35868750)

Some is a lot longer; ad-funded 4OD is there forever. Are films available for a shorter time?

nialli 09-11-2016 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35868753)
Some is a lot longer; ad-funded 4OD is there forever. Are films available for a shorter time?

But not in HD of course. In fact 4OD's picture quality is lamentable - even Five's SD looks superior.

heavyside 09-11-2016 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35868750)

I believe ITV catch-up is only seven days although I may be wrong.

denphone 09-11-2016 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyside (Post 35868766)

Yes it is 7 days sadly.

muppetman11 09-11-2016 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyside (Post 35868766)

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35868767)
Yes it is 7 days sadly.

On all the devices I use ITV Catchup is 30 days.

fixerman 09-11-2016 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35868774)
On all the devices I use ITV Catchup is 30 days.

Interesting! On my Tivo and Freesat devices ITV is only for 7 days. You are not confusing "catchup" with "on demand" are you?

passingbat 09-11-2016 15:53

Quote:

People watch TV in different ways. Netflix, in particular has changed the way people consume TV; i.e. via watching whole seasons/series consecutively. Given that, especially at this time of year, when many new series/seasons start, which takes a lot of disc space if you are keeping each of them to watch from beginning to end.

Many people want more disc space for the above reasons. Just because it doesn't suit your viewing habits, doesn't make it invalid for the many other users who's viewing habits do fit that model and therefore require more space.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35868720)
I would certainly make more use of on demand if the programmes were on there for a decent period of time. Deletion of shows on catch up after a week just doesn't do anything for me, I'm afraid. I only make use of catch up in emergencies!

Again, another reason for more disc space; who want's to sit through 'on demand' with enforced, adds that you can't skip, just because you don't have enough space to record them?