Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Netflix/Streaming Services (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33695779)

muppetman11 18-11-2014 09:57

Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Vodafone in talks with Sky to sell Now TV with broadband

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...broadband.html

muppetman11 20-11-2014 10:47

Apple's plan to beat Spotify: push Beats Music to every iPhone and iPad

Quote:

Apple will make its Beats Music subscription service part of its iOS software from early in 2015, pushing its app to every iPhone and iPad, according to a report.

The Financial Times claims that Beats will be part of iOS as early as March in an effort to encourage Apple’s iTunes music buyers to try the streaming service, and that it could also use the Apple Pay payments technology to charge for monthly subscriptions.

Apple paid $3bn for Beats Music’s parent company Beats Electronics earlier in 2014, acquiring its lucrative headphones business as well as Beats Music, which launched in the US in January as a rival to Spotify, Rhapsody and other streaming services.
Link

OLD BOY 20-11-2014 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35741661)
Vodafone in talks with Sky to sell Now TV with broadband

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...broadband.html

Interesting that Vodaphone customers can get Sky Atlantic! :mad:

muppetman11 20-11-2014 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35742109)
Interesting that Vodaphone customers can get Sky Atlantic! :mad:

They can't yet !!!!

They both have something the other is interested in
Quote:

The pair are already working on co-marketing of their services and it is rumoured that the network operator will soon provide the basis of a Sky-branded mobile network. If the Now TV talks also succeed, such a ‘virtual network’ contra-deal could allow both companies to offer a full ‘quad-play’ of broadband, home phone, mobile and pay-TV services.

OLD BOY 20-11-2014 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35742112)
They can't yet !!!!

They both have something the other is interested in

On their mobiles they can!

Vodafone already offers the Sky Sports channels on mobile devices as part of its 4G bundles. The mobile operator also recently introduced Now TV as an alternative, granting access to Sky Movies and Sky Atlantic on the move.

muppetman11 20-11-2014 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35742114)
On their mobiles they can!

Vodafone already offers the Sky Sports channels on mobile devices as part of its 4G bundles. The mobile operator also recently introduced Now TV as an alternative, granting access to Sky Movies and Sky Atlantic on the move.

Fair point however I can't see many wanting to consume full series of shows on their mobiles/tablets this deal would enable them to consume the content on TV.

andy_m 20-11-2014 17:03

Virgin customers can use Now tv on their mobiles. So can I with o2. It doesn't make the point you think it does.

cimt 20-11-2014 19:47

Netflix has picked up a fourth season of the recently cancelled Longmire. It's only for certain countries though...

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...etflix/329726/

Quote:

Beverly Hills, Calif., November 19, 2014-- Netflix, the world’s leading Internet TV network, has ordered a fourth season of the hit drama Longmire, from Warner Horizon Television. Ten new episodes of the series will premiere exclusively in the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand in 2015.

muppetman11 21-11-2014 11:23

For those who've watched the previous Seasons Netflix has today added all episodes of Lilyhammer Season 3

theone2k10 21-11-2014 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35742296)
For those who've watched the previous Seasons Netflix has today added all episodes of Lilyhammer Season 3

I'm still making my way through the fantastic Sons of Anarchy all seasons why the hell i never watched this when it was broadcast i don't know lol.

passingbat 21-11-2014 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35742307)
I'm still making my way through the fantastic Sons of Anarchy all seasons why the hell i never watched this when it was broadcast i don't know lol.

And when you get to the season 6 finale, you will be desperate for the final, seventh season, which currently is only available to purchase because the numptys at Channel Five dropped the show :rolleyes:

theone2k10 21-11-2014 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35742320)
And when you get to the season 6 finale, you will be desperate for the final, seventh season, which currently is only available to purchase because the numptys at Channel Five dropped the show :rolleyes:

Looks like season 7 is going to arrive on netflix usa soon, it'll probably show up on amazon instant video too at some point but it was a bit silly of 5 to drop it.

passingbat 21-11-2014 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35742325)
Looks like season 7 is going to arrive on netflix usa soon, it'll probably show up on amazon instant video too at some point but it was a bit silly of 5 to drop it.

Season 6 was only added to Netflix a couple of months ago and the S7 UK DVD release date isn't until March (can't find a US DVD release date), so It my be a while before season 7 hits Netflix.

I must admit, after the S6 finale, I paid for the first episode of S7 from Amazon UK, but resisted buying more, as it works out very expensive buying in HD at £2.50 per episode.

vincerooney 21-11-2014 16:52

Anyone heard any rumours about wwe network?? i read something off twitter saying it was coming in january. It was going to be the same over the top service as USA. The reason why it was delayed was due to sky having advertised pay per views already up till december and it breach of contract??

It doesnt sound very realistic to be honest?? I'll try to find the link.

theone2k10 21-11-2014 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35742389)
Anyone heard any rumours about wwe network?? i read something off twitter saying it was coming in january. It was going to be the same over the top service as USA. The reason why it was delayed was due to sky having advertised pay per views already up till december and it breach of contract??

It doesnt sound very realistic to be honest?? I'll try to find the link.

Nothing yet mate just rumours floating arounf it'll be January 2015 a lot of people are like "don't bother telling us WWE because we won't believe you now"

Rumour also TLC may now be on Skysports1 not box office.

---------- Post added at 17:50 ---------- Previous post was at 17:49 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35742373)
Season 6 was only added to Netflix a couple of months ago and the S7 UK DVD release date isn't until March (can't find a US DVD release date), so It my be a while before season 7 hits Netflix.

I must admit, after the S6 finale, I paid for the first episode of S7 from Amazon UK, but resisted buying more, as it works out very expensive buying in HD at £2.50 per episode.

I got loads to get through lol i have all seasons of SOA then i have Dexter all seasons then hell on wheels all seasons so quite a few months worth there lol.

vincerooney 21-11-2014 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35742405)
Nothing yet mate just rumours floating arounf it'll be January 2015 a lot of people are like "don't bother telling us WWE because we won't believe you now"

Rumour also TLC may now be on Skysports1 not box office.[COLOR="Silver"]

Apparently geoblock on network is off? So you can't sign up in the U.K. but if you're already signed up you can log in and watch without using unblockus. Is that true?

muppetman11 21-11-2014 19:01

Amazon possible ad-supported video streaming service ?

Link

theone2k10 21-11-2014 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35742411)
Apparently geoblock on network is off? So you can't sign up in the U.K. but if you're already signed up you can log in and watch without using unblockus. Is that true?

A vpn is your friend on geoblocks ;) cyberghost free will be enough to get you signed up, wouldn't use it for streaming though as free version is very slow the premium version is only $19.99 for the year though about £12 and that is quite good.

---------- Post added at 19:12 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35742419)
Amazon possible ad-supported video streaming service ?

Link

They would be better off going back to the $7.99p/m monthly option i think.

harry_hitch 21-11-2014 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35742373)

I can't find s6 on Netflix. Are you watching via the US version or am I missing something?

passingbat 21-11-2014 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry_hitch (Post 35742432)
I can't find s6 on Netflix. Are you watching via the US version or am I missing something?

Yes Harry, US Netflix.

harry_hitch 21-11-2014 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35742434)
Yes Harry, US Netflix.

OK, cheers.:(

---------- Post added at 21:46 ---------- Previous post was at 21:43 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35742296)

Gonna be a bit of binge watching tonight. I love this show.:)

vincerooney 21-11-2014 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35742420)
A vpn is your friend on geoblocks ;) cyberghost free will be enough to get you signed up, wouldn't use it for streaming though as free version is very slow the premium version is only $19.99 for the year though about £12 and that is quite good.

---------- Post added at 19:12 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

They would be better off going back to the $7.99p/m monthly option i think.

Have you noticed you can watch the network currently without your vpn turned on?? uk lock was turned off a few hours ago apparently??

theone2k10 21-11-2014 23:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35742441)
Have you noticed you can watch the network currently without your vpn turned on?? uk lock was turned off a few hours ago apparently??

Tbh mate i've given up on WWE completely my sub expires just after Survivor series and i have no intention of continuing it, my vpn is always on as it runs in my router as it comes in use when i switch netflix or amazon instant video regions (for amazon you do need a uk and a seperate usa prime membership) as before i got a vpn router i was forever forgetting to switch my vpn on then cussing at my pc when in fact it was my fault haha, i do use a smart dns too as a backup.

martyh 22-11-2014 10:55

I use a Chrome cast to access Netflix on my tv but if I use a VPN to get the US content I cannot cast the screen , the icon to select my tv or other device is gone ,is there any way around this ?

theone2k10 22-11-2014 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35742490)
I use a Chrome cast to access Netflix on my tv but if I use a VPN to get the US content I cannot cast the screen , the icon to select my tv or other device is gone ,is there any way around this ?

You need a router you can set up a vpn on or a router you can change dns settings and use a smart dns service such as unblock-us.
This is why i went for the firetv as you can change dns settings on that, you can on appletv and androidtv too.

martyh 22-11-2014 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35742497)
You need a router you can set up a vpn on or a router you can change dns settings and use a smart dns service such as unblock-us.
This is why i went for the firetv as you can change dns settings on that, you can on appletv and androidtv too.

Cheers mate ,that answered that then :) i'm using a sky hub so not possible then ?

theone2k10 22-11-2014 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35742503)
Cheers mate ,that answered that then :) i'm using a sky hub so not possible then ?

No Sky lockdown their routers they also lockdown their network too preventing you from using your own router, you could try popping to currys or maplin pick up a cheap router tplink allow dns changes and connect that router via ethernet to your skyhub and use your new router for chromecast ect.
I know a few people who do this with various networks i did it with my plusnet router it works fine.

martyh 22-11-2014 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35742516)
No Sky lockdown their routers they also lockdown their network too preventing you from using your own router, you could try popping to currys or maplin pick up a cheap router tplink allow dns changes and connect that router via ethernet to your skyhub and use your new router for chromecast ect.
I know a few people who do this with various networks i did it with my plusnet router it works fine.

I may give it a go ,and by 'I' I mean my IT proficient son :D

theone2k10 22-11-2014 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35742546)
I may give it a go ,and by 'I' I mean my IT proficient son :D

Haha good luck mate hope it works for you.

johnathome 23-11-2014 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35742550)
Haha good luck mate hope it works for you.

I've PM'd you ;)

trickytree 24-11-2014 15:02

Challenging question regarding the 6 months free deal with Virgin.

I already had the 1 month free Netflix while Virgin messed about sending me the email with the 6 month code on it.
I never got the email but the code they told me over the phone I then added to my account and it added a credit of £35.94.
I had activated option 2 out of the 3 choices as that is the cheapest with HD at £6.99 a month.
So based on that the £35.94 added by applying the Virgin code will only last me 5 months if I remain on the HD option.

Is this correct?
Is this how it will work or is it a true 6 months so I can stay on the option I have chosen to get HD and get my 6 months I thought I was getting.
Otherwise to get 6 months I have to change my option down to option 1 and get the SD only package?

Anyone know please?
Thanks

RobboEdin 24-11-2014 17:59

It's a money credit so it will not last 6 months at your charge rate of £6.99 per month.

trickytree 26-11-2014 12:46

Thanks.
Seems a bit of a con when the advert says watch Netflix in HD etc.
I suppose they don't say we are giving it you for 6 months in HD quality though.

muppetman11 28-11-2014 19:40

Anyone after a decent streaming device , Amazon have the Roku 3 about to start in 20 mins on the lightning deals.

theone2k10 28-11-2014 21:03

Netflix CEO says broadcast tv dead by 2030 http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/11...n_6237752.html

johnathome 28-11-2014 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35743835)
Anyone after a decent streaming device , Amazon have the Roku 3 about to start in 20 mins on the lightning deals.

£69 for a Roku 3 is pretty good. I've just bought a Chromecast for £18, couldn't turn it down :)

Hugh 28-11-2014 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathome (Post 35743871)
£69 for a Roku 3 is pretty good. I've just bought a Chromecast for £18, couldn't turn it down :)

Thanks for the heads-up - just bought 2 (one for our bedroom tv, one for my lad).

muppetman11 28-11-2014 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathome (Post 35743871)

It was £59 then went back to £69.

theone2k10 28-11-2014 22:51

Anyone wanting a Firetv box they are down to £69 at the moment at Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-CL113.../dp/B00KQEJBSW With Amazon link you'll also get free £10 credit to spend on instant video.

Or you can get it for £59 by using this code at Tesco Direct must be first time customer http://www.tesco.com/direct/amazon-f...questid=201040 use code TDX-7KPG

passingbat 28-11-2014 23:22

Waiting for Amazon to launch the Fire TV Stick in the UK. When it launched in the US it was only $19 for a short time for Prime members.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-W87CUN-...rds=fire+stick

theone2k10 28-11-2014 23:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35743899)
Waiting for Amazon to launch the Fire TV Stick in the UK. When it launched in the US it was only $19 for a short time for Prime members.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-W87CUN-...rds=fire+stick

I personally recommend either both are great devices with the stick however you won't get the voice remote which you get with the firetv box.
Also the stick has lower specs than the box.

passingbat 28-11-2014 23:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35743903)
I personally recommend either both are great devices with the stick however you won't get the voice remote which you get with the firetv box.
Also the stick has lower specs than the box.

The lack of a voice remote doesn't bother me; in fact the remote is one thing that puts me off the Fire TV products, as it's a Bluetooth remote and to make it work with my Harmony Touch, I'd have to spend another £70 on a Hub (which aint gonna happen).

But if it launches at the same cheap price as the US, I reckon it's worth a punt anyway.

theone2k10 29-11-2014 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35743910)
The lack of a voice remote doesn't bother me; in fact the remote is one thing that puts me off the Fire TV products, as it's a Bluetooth remote and to make it work with my Harmony Touch, I'd have to spend another £70 on a Hub (which aint gonna happen).

But if it launches at the same cheap price as the US, I reckon it's worth a punt anyway.

Defo mate it'll do the same as firetv box not sure if xbmc can be sideloaded onto the fire stick though but i imagine it can but may be glitchy as it only has 1gb ram compared to 2gb with the box.
You can download a app for the stick to your android phone and use that as a voice remote too.

RichardCoulter 29-11-2014 17:40

It's all very well enjoying these streaming services, but you're all slowly killing off linear TV by doing so (according to the CEO of Netflix).

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11...l#post35744021

Hugh 29-11-2014 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35744024)
It's all very well enjoying these streaming services, but you're all slowly killing off linear TV by doing so (according to the CEO of Netflix).

And, of course, he has nothing to gain by saying that..... :dozey:

OLD BOY 30-11-2014 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35744024)

Linear TV will slowly die on the vine, Richard, because time is precious, and people will just tire of wasting their time watching stuff they don't want to see and sitting through the commercials.

Things will look quite different by 2030!

theone2k10 30-11-2014 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35744169)
Linear TV will slowly die on the vine, Richard, because time is precious, and people will just tire of wasting their time watching stuff they don't want to see and sitting through the commercials.

Agree.

Hugh 30-11-2014 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35744169)

I wonder how the programmes will be funded, as advertising revenue is the current model (mostly)....

theone2k10 30-11-2014 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35744207)
I wonder how the programmes will be funded, as advertising revenue is the current model (mostly)....

Amazon are rumoured to be hinting at launching a free version of instant video that will be funded by advertisements http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/21/a...reaming-rumor/ , i imagine netflix may offer 2 tiers type subscription say £6.99p/m for advert free and maybe a free ad supported version too.
Hulu+ do charge about £5.20p/m and have adverts during programming i think hulus method will be the way most broadcasters will operate with Netflix and Amazon both offering two tier type subscriptions, also worth noting Hulu do offer a free service too that's ad funded.

RichardCoulter 30-11-2014 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35744207)

I would imagine that they will insert adverts into VOD content in the same way as they do now.

harry_hitch 01-12-2014 19:37

For anyone who is not aware....

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=42877

Mad Max 01-12-2014 23:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry_hitch (Post 35744487)

Can't wait.......

MalteseFalcon 02-12-2014 14:14

Is Breaking Bad good? Been recommended to me by 3 people this week.

andy_m 02-12-2014 14:25

Starts brilliantly, slows down considerably, I haven't been able to get past the third season.

cimt 02-12-2014 14:38

I thought the show sped up if anything. You should really continue watching it. The fourth season is excellent as well as the second half of five. Not that the first half is bad but they knocked it out of the park with the last 8 episodes.

MalteseFalcon 02-12-2014 16:18

Thanks, that is my Christmas viewing sorted then.

muppetman11 02-12-2014 16:26

Dallas Buyers Club available from today on Netflix UK.

theone2k10 02-12-2014 17:14

I'm just waiting for the "why isn't Netflix free on Virgin media" comments :D

anap 02-12-2014 17:30

Why isn't Netflix free on Virginmedia?

theone2k10 02-12-2014 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by anap (Post 35744649)

:D:D:D

andy_m 02-12-2014 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 35744600)
I thought the show sped up if anything. You should really continue watching it. The fourth season is excellent as well as the second half of five. Not that the first half is bad but they knocked it out of the park with the last 8 episodes.

Yeah I haven't given up on it completely, it's just not a priority at the moment. I'm going to resubscribe to Netflix over Christmas because I'll have time to watch the new series of Lillyhammer so we'll probably finish it off then.

heero_yuy 02-12-2014 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by anap (Post 35744649)

Well why? We pay enough for the service with the useless land line. Least they could do is provide complementary Netflix on the lower tiers.

Our smart TV has Netflix built in so no need for a Tivo. :)

theone2k10 02-12-2014 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35744661)
Well why? We pay enough for the service with the useless land line. Least they could do is provide complementary Netflix on the lower tiers.

Our smart TV has Netflix built in so no need for a Tivo. :)

Why should they? Netflix is a completely independant service.

heero_yuy 02-12-2014 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35744669)
Why should they? Netflix is a completely independant service.

I did say complimentary as in an extra for no charge.

theone2k10 02-12-2014 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35744671)
I did say complimentary as in an extra for no charge.

They won't though mate vm are starting to get greedy just lately i think, personally i'm glad i left them i just heard a lot of people are being hit with a 11% price hike :shocked: i just use netflix, and my USA services now.

denphone 02-12-2014 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35744624)
Dallas Buyers Club available from today on Netflix UK.

Excellent MM.

Chad 02-12-2014 22:59

The first season of The Following and Ray Donovan have been added to Amazon Instant Video. The first 4 episodes of season 3 of Ripper Street are also available to watch, with new episodes added every Friday. I use Netflix and Amazon Instant and for me the Amazon content is so much better. Only £5.99 per month. If you've never tried it you should seriously try their free months trial.

theone2k10 02-12-2014 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35744723)
The first season of The Following and Ray Donovan have been added to Amazon Instant Video. The first 4 episodes of season 3 of Ripper Street are also available to watch, with new episodes added every Friday. I use Netflix and Amazon Instant and for me the Amazon content is so much better. Only £5.99 per month. If you've never tried it you should seriously try their free months trial.

It is certainly improving but for me Netflix is better i do however use both now due to my firetv box showing amazon instant video recommendations, searches etc i thought what the hell might aswell give it a go lol.
So far so good will probably subscribe for a few months.

passingbat 02-12-2014 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35744723)
The first season of The Following and Ray Donovan have been added to Amazon Instant Video. l.

They're also available on Netflix if you use a smart DNS service.

For me, Netflix + Smart DNS service massively beets Amazon. But having them both covers more bases.

steveh 03-12-2014 08:34

Finally gave into temptation and got a Fire TV box and it really is a lovely little unit.

Upsides: iPlayer loads almost instantaneously and is the new adaptive bandwidth version, so no stuttering and buffering plus not having to select the HD option every time. Netflix loads and is responsive in under ten seconds compared to the three minutes of three load indicators, blank screens, slow-loading images and initial sluggishness of the TiVo version. Still light on other apps but Vimeo is a good addition and Viewster has improved lately. Picture is crisper than the TiVo too.

Downside: the refresh rate is locked to either 50Hz or 60Hz across the whole device. That means there currently isn't the option for smooth 24fps movies like the TiVo offers or to show 60Hz US / 50Hz UK TV shows in their native rates. Hopefully they can fix that but as it's an Android system limitation that isn't exactly straightforward to do.

Think Virgin Media need to up their game if they're going to retain people for more than broadband.

heavyside 03-12-2014 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveh (Post 35744751)
Think Virgin Media need to up their game if they're going to retain people for more than broadband.

I have to agree. Virgin Media seem to have taken their corporate eye off the ball recently on the TV side of things. Not so long ago it was the best of the bunch. It's no longer such an easy choice. I believe Virgin Media have the technology but have lost the will to compete. I hope I'm proved wrong in the new year and a wealth of innovations appear on my TiVo.

theone2k10 03-12-2014 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveh (Post 35744751)
Finally gave into temptation and got a Fire TV box and it really is a lovely little unit.

Upsides: iPlayer loads almost instantaneously and is the new adaptive bandwidth version, so no stuttering and buffering plus not having to select the HD option every time. Netflix loads and is responsive in under ten seconds compared to the three minutes of three load indicators, blank screens, slow-loading images and initial sluggishness of the TiVo version. Still light on other apps but Vimeo is a good addition and Viewster has improved lately. Picture is crisper than the TiVo too.

Downside: the refresh rate is locked to either 50Hz or 60Hz across the whole device. That means there currently isn't the option for smooth 24fps movies like the TiVo offers or to show 60Hz US / 50Hz UK TV shows in their native rates. Hopefully they can fix that but as it's an Android system limitation that isn't exactly straightforward to do.

It's a amazing box look around on google there are ways you can sideload android apps and XBMC too.
I highly recommend Frequency from the firetv app store it is basically all your news sources in one app has videos from BBC,SKY,RT etc amongst others, also has a lot of entertaining and relaxing videos too.

OLD BOY 03-12-2014 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35744677)
They won't though mate vm are starting to get greedy just lately i think, personally i'm glad i left them i just heard a lot of people are being hit with a 11% price hike :shocked: i just use netflix, and my USA services now.

Well VM do have to cover their costs. All those additional linear channels don't come cheap, and you have to ask yourself whether the channel packages are good value for money. So much junk and so few good channels worth having!

As discussed earlier, I think linear channels will not last, because streaming is going to be a cheaper option. We could get such a better choice with at less cost if we had:

A wholesale deal with Netflix and Amazon
Options to subscribe to HBO and other providers as they become available
Further options to get other providers on a PPV basis
A better 'on demand' choice with quality shows
Film and Sports channels as now
Freeview channels
Virgin Movies

This might well do the trick for a lot of people, providing better programmes at less cost. Although it would mean the loss of Sky basics and the Fox channel, the number of watchable programmes from there in a week you can count on one hand!

muppetman11 03-12-2014 13:09

Wouldn't a Youview box already nearly box that off ?

Youview already offers PVR functionality , Freeview channels , Sky Store (PPV) , Netflix , Now TV Movies , all the terrestrial players (including new iPlayer) , search across linear and all On Demand players.

OLD BOY 03-12-2014 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35744811)

Youview already offers PVR functionality , Freeview channels , Sky Store (PPV) , Netflix , Now TV Movies , all the terrestrial players (including new iPlayer) , search across linear and all On Demand players.

Well, it's certainly getting there, MM, and I think that public demand will do the rest.

There will always be diehards who can't change or think differently, but my guess is that our viewing habits will be changed beyond recognition within a decade, let alone by 2030.

paultrademark 05-12-2014 05:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by trickytree (Post 35742907)
Challenging question regarding the 6 months free deal with Virgin.

I already had the 1 month free Netflix while Virgin messed about sending me the email with the 6 month code on it.
I never got the email but the code they told me over the phone I then added to my account and it added a credit of £35.94.
I had activated option 2 out of the 3 choices as that is the cheapest with HD at £6.99 a month.
So based on that the £35.94 added by applying the Virgin code will only last me 5 months if I remain on the HD option.

Is this correct?
Is this how it will work or is it a true 6 months so I can stay on the option I have chosen to get HD and get my 6 months I thought I was getting.
Otherwise to get 6 months I have to change my option down to option 1 and get the SD only package?

Anyone know please?
Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35742927)
It's a money credit so it will not last 6 months at your charge rate of £6.99 per month.

I thought this would be the case, but I got my code today so just entered it.

My billing date was next due on 17/12/14, and am on the £6.99 package.

My account now says

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2014/12/15.png

Now to me, that isn't a money credit and will roll on for 6 months and then go back to charging me at the end of the 6th month.

RobboEdin 05-12-2014 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by paultrademark (Post 35745119)
I thought this would be the case, but I got my code today so just entered it.

My billing date was next due on 17/12/14, and am on the £6.99 package.

My account now says

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2014/12/15.png

Now to me, that isn't a money credit and will roll on for 6 months and then go back to charging me at the end of the 6th month.

That's excellent news and a change from the previous method which was a monetary credit.

Bobby Dazzler 06-12-2014 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35744811)

Im thinking of ditching TiVo in favour of one of these youview boxes now that they've added Netflix, does anyone know if you can change the DNS settings on the box to access USA Netflix?

theone2k10 06-12-2014 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Dazzler (Post 35745303)
Im thinking of ditching TiVo in favour of one of these youview boxes now that they've added Netflix, does anyone know if you can change the DNS settings on the box to access USA Netflix?

No you can't sadly.

muppetman11 06-12-2014 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35745327)
No you can't sadly.

Yes you can ;)

RobboEdin 06-12-2014 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35745327)
No you can't sadly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35745328)
Yes you can ;)

So 1-1.

Would the Yes candidate please elaborate.

muppetman11 06-12-2014 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35745329)
So 1-1.

Would the Yes candidate please elaborate.

What's to elaborate on ? The question was can you adjust the DNS settings manually to which the wrong answer of no was given , I wasn't advocating you should change them merely correcting that yes it can be done in the settings menu.

theone2k10 06-12-2014 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35745328)
Yes you can ;)

I had the Talktalk Humax one from the trials no way of changing dns, unless you mean the router dns change?

Edit: i stand corrected it appears the dns can indeed be changed, google is your friend on that one.

RichardCoulter 06-12-2014 17:44

Do users of services that stream over the internet experience stuttering and/or buffering issues?

That's one of my reservations about using them.

theone2k10 06-12-2014 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35745360)
Do users of services that stream over the internet experience stuttering and/or buffering issues?

Never had any stuttering or buffering on any of the services i use/used wich are nowtv,netflix,amazon instant video, iplayer,demand5, american ones i used/use nbcsports,fios verizon, xfinity,hbogo.

passingbat 06-12-2014 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35745360)

There is no problem with that these days.

Almost everything I watch these days is streamed and it works perfectly.

alwaysabear 06-12-2014 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35745381)
There is no problem with that these days.

Almost everything I watch these days is streamed and it works perfectly.

Sadly since getting TiVo we have has buffering on BBC iPlayer and ITV player and not at peak times. Never had had a problem on my old VHD box. Luckily we have a smart blue ray player and use of that.

theone2k10 06-12-2014 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35745405)
Sadly since getting TiVo we have has buffering on BBC iPlayer and ITV player and not at peak times. Never had had a problem on my old VHD box. Luckily we have a smart blue ray player and use of that.

This is just my opinion but Tivo is a pile of steaming manure.
I was glad to see the back off it.

passingbat 06-12-2014 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35745405)

I assumed Richard was talking about video services via general broadband not Tivo (maybe incorrectly?)

With 3 recordable tuners, I don't get why people use the catchup services on Tivo so much and not just on the odd occasion.

---------- Post added at 22:57 ---------- Previous post was at 22:49 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35745418)

I respectfully disagree.

Speed may not be the best compared with other PVRs, but it's functionality leaves them standing. And I personally have no issue with the speed of Tivo when accessing and moving between the different menus that I use.

I rarely use it for catchup, but on the odd occasion that I have, it has worked without issues.

tassiekev 06-12-2014 23:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35745420)
With 3 recordable tuners, I don't get why people use the catchup services on Tivo so much and not just on the odd occasion.

---------- Post added at 22:57 ---------- Previous post was at 22:49 ----------

I respectfully disagree.

Speed may not be the best compared with other PVRs, but it's functionality leaves them standing. And I personally have no issue with the speed of Tivo when accessing and moving between the different menus that I use.

I rarely use it for catchup, but on the odd occasion that I have, it has worked without issues.

Much prefer catchup/on demand for two reasons:
1. No/Considerably fewer ads
2. With the exception of Fox (there may be others) no digital logos. This form of penis envy amongst providers really annoys me - that's the grumpy old man coming out, and I've often considered forming the TWADL society (Television Watchers Against Digital Logos).

Tivo has annoyed me to the extent that I re-enroled with ole Rupe. Problems are numerous but include:
  • Speed (lack of)
  • Poorly organized interface, I often can't find something which (logically) should be in Catch Up but a search finds it
  • Unable to set recordings when I want them to record - not when Tivo thinks its appropriate
  • Recording conflicts - I don't feel I should have to prioitize series links etc, the box should be smart enough
  • Lack of 5.1 - both transmitted and On Demand. Last week I recorded Criminal Minds S10E07 on the Tivo, it was in stereo - tried OD, it was in stereo. The same program on Sky is transmitted in 5.1 and available OD in 5.1. Just one example.

theone2k10 07-12-2014 02:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by tassiekev (Post 35745424)
Much prefer catchup/on demand for two reasons:
1. No/Considerably fewer ads
2. With the exception of Fox (there may be others) no digital logos. This form of penis envy amongst providers really annoys me - that's the grumpy old man coming out, and I've often considered forming the TWADL society (Television Watchers Against Digital Logos).

Tivo has annoyed me to the extent that I re-enroled with ole Rupe. Problems are numerous but include:
  • Speed (lack of)
  • Poorly organized interface, I often can't find something which (logically) should be in Catch Up but a search finds it
  • Unable to set recordings when I want them to record - not when Tivo thinks its appropriate
  • Recording conflicts - I don't feel I should have to prioitize series links etc, the box should be smart enough
  • Lack of 5.1 - both transmitted and On Demand. Last week I recorded Criminal Minds S10E07 on the Tivo, it was in stereo - tried OD, it was in stereo. The same program on Sky is transmitted in 5.1 and available OD in 5.1. Just one example.

You think uk channels are bad for DOGs you should see the USA ones they get DOGS and huge banners with adverts on or programme info, ontop of that some next to the dog get huge letters reading "24 days of Christmas" the on demand isn't too bad it's just the dogs.

muppetman11 10-12-2014 16:04

The Telegraph are reporting Sky may consider withdrawing Now TV from Youview.

Story

theone2k10 10-12-2014 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35746061)
The Telegraph are reporting Sky may consider withdrawing Now TV from Youview.

Story

Such a move, which has not been settled upon, would cut off BT and TalkTalk customers from Sky Movies and entertainment box-sets, such as Game of Thrones. <--- taken from Telegraph article

They really need to get their facts right Talktalk customers have access to Sky movies anyway and anyone with a decent broadband connection can get nowtv anyway.
Bit ironic sky moaning about costs really after they just hiked the prices of Nowtv passes.

passingbat 10-12-2014 16:26

Is the Now TV Entertainment pack available via Youview, or is it just the film pack?

And is it just BT and Talk Talk Youview boxes that have Now TV, or do generic Youview boxes also have it?

muppetman11 10-12-2014 16:34

Only the Now TV Movie pass is available on Youview across Retail , BT and Talk Talk boxes

I believe an update is needed to support the live channels , certain movies can't be shown on Youview although not many as the contract with the rightsholders stipulates the movie must also been shown live.

passingbat 10-12-2014 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35746069)
Only the Now TV Movie pass is available on Youview across Retail , BT and Talk Talk boxes

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure.

So the Telegraph really aren't doing too well on facts!

andy_m 10-12-2014 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35746069)

I believe an update is needed to support the live channels , certain movies can't be shown on Youview although not many as the contract with the rightsholders stipulates the movie must also been show live.

Talk Talk also allows the day pass for sport. You sign in then access them through the epg.

denphone 10-12-2014 17:04

Quote:

That's your opinion but many others think differently.:nono:

theone2k10 10-12-2014 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35746074)
That's your opinion but many others think differently.:nono:

Ofcourse mate everyone has their own preferences.

Derekb108 10-12-2014 17:28

Quote:

The tivo Neftflix app has been updated with access user profiles and now takes 1 Minute and 20 seconds to load....