Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Brexit discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705369)

Damien 02-01-2018 21:09

Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35930756)
Churchill was one of the instigators behind the European Convention on Human Rights. Unlike Chamberlain, he was not afraid to confront difficult situations. It's a bitter coincidence that the country (Poland) whose invasion led to the start of World war II should be breaching the Convention now. Well done to the EU for continuing Churchill's good work when evidently, some would prefer it to adopt Chamberlain's approach.

Chamberlain reputation is unfair IMO. The late 1930s was not that long after the First World War, just 20 years separate the Munich Agreement and the armistice. He was personally scared from that war as was the country. He was really motivated to avoid another war in Europe, as was the country, as were his military advisors who said we weren't ready.

Chamberlain wasn't an idiot. He knew Hitler couldn't really be trusted although it wasn't yet the Hitler we know of today. He also knew war would probably happen. He kept trying to avoid it or, at least, postpone it until we were ready. Towards the later stages Britain and France were building up their armies all the while Chamberlain 'negotiated' with Hitler. He had the country preparing for the war he tried to avoid.

History just wasn't kind to him and in part because of the image of Churchill (who also portrayed Chamberlain poorly) as the lone voice against Germany when in reality plenty in Government knew what they were dealing with. It's only after more papers were declassified that the more balanced stuff come out.

1andrew1 02-01-2018 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonbxx (Post 35930770)
The writing was led by David Maxwell-Fyffe, the British prosecutor in the Nuremberg trials of course.

Agreed. When people criticise these courts, they are in danger of forgetting the very circumstances that made and make them necessary.

denphone 03-01-2018 06:13

Britain in talks to join the TPP to boost trade after Brexit.

Quote:

The government is exploring becoming a member of the Trans-Pacific Partnership to stimulate exports after Brexit next March and has held informal discussions with the group. If the proposals go ahead Britain would be the first member of the trade agreement which does not have borders on the Pacific Ocean or the South China Sea.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...e-after-brexit

Sirius 03-01-2018 07:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35930749)
Brexiters had better get used to the current situation as we'll being obeying EU legislation and the ECJ until the end of 2020 and possibly beyond. People who believed the empty promises from the likes of David Davis will just have to grin and bear it.

We have had to put up with the bully boy tactics from Brussels for a long time, i can handle it till 2020. Then the bully can go do one. All bully's get their just deserts in the end :)

1andrew1 03-01-2018 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35930803)
Britain in talks to join the TPP to boost trade after Brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...e-after-brexit

A good negotiating tactic in my book.

jonbxx 03-01-2018 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35930804)
We have had to put up with the bully boy tactics from Brussels for a long time, i can handle it till 2020. Then the bully can go do one. All bully's get their just deserts in the end :)

What bully boy tactics have we had to put up with? Do you have examples?

Bircho 04-01-2018 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonbxx (Post 35930809)
What bully boy tactics have we had to put up with? Do you have examples?

Yeah they insisted that we couldn't have blue passp...... oh.

Mr K 04-01-2018 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bircho (Post 35930996)

Having a blue passport and being in the EU isn't a problem. Croatia have a blue passport. If that was the sole reason for Brexit, I really do despair.

Hugh 04-01-2018 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35931038)
Having a blue passport and being in the EU isn't a problem. Croatia have a blue passport. If that was the sole reason for Brexit, I really do despair.

I think Mr Irony was visiting.... ;)

Dave42 04-01-2018 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bircho (Post 35930996)

another blatant lie

denphone 05-01-2018 04:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35931038)

It does not matter what colour it is for me as whether its orange with black spots , pink with blue spots or even al the colours of the rainbow it matters diddly squat.:)

Mick 05-01-2018 15:28

I think Remainers are the ones getting a bit precious at what colour the passport is over us Brexiteers, who don't care either way because it is NOT an issue when it comes to the corrupt EU.

Dave42 05-01-2018 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35931130)
I think Remainers are the ones getting a bit precious at what colour the passport is over us Brexiteers, who don't care either way because it is NOT an issue when it comes to the corrupt EU.

eh it the brexiteers that keep going on about blue passports like make no difference at all what colour there are and also the brexiteers that sport the blatant lie that EU made uk change colour of them when they could have kept it blue all along

jonbxx 05-01-2018 16:58

Yougov surgery on passport colour - https://mobile.twitter.com/YouGov/st...185924/photo/1

It’s a leave thing

1andrew1 05-01-2018 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35931130)

How can you speak on behalf of Brexiters?