Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   What have you fixed lately? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33694731)

Osem 09-03-2014 17:20

Re: What have you fixed lately?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 (Post 35679004)
My mudguard strut to my bike frame with a zip tie. Whoever invented them deserves a medal.

Agree. He/she has probably made more than enough money to mint their own medals.

Pauls9 10-03-2014 10:29

Saturday morning, visitors due...

Vacuum cleaner stops working; food processor motor running, but rotor stops turning.

Vacuum cleaner: speed control board had died. Followed friend's suggestion ("what's the worst that could happen?") and bypassed it. Now OK.

Food processor: cooling fan had come loose and shifted the drive belt gear wheel up the shaft. Levered things apart, glued the fan to the gear wheel and hammered it back together. All good again.

And in a separate thread: Found and tested a cheap way to upgrade my oldish XP machine to Win 8.

Tinky 12-03-2014 18:54

Painted outside window cills (10), brushed down garage outside walls with Jeyes fluid, cut the back lawn, raked up debris, hung out washing. My to do list is finally getting smaller. Now enjoying a large glass of wine.

Osem 12-03-2014 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinky (Post 35679949)
Painted outside window cills (10), brushed down garage outside walls with Jeyes fluid, cut the back lawn, raked up debris, hung out washing. My to do list is finally getting smaller. Now enjoying a large glass of wine.

Well done that lady! Enjoy.

richard s 04-04-2014 15:41

Just replaced the main headlight bulb on a Renault Modus... 1 hour..

Loosening the bumper only on the side you are replacing the bulb x4 screws.

Remove inner wheel arch lining x4 plastic press studs button type.

Bend the plastic wing away a fraction.

Remove inner plastic light unit holder x2 screws

Unscrew headlight unit x2 bolts. Remove headlight unit ... pull off bulb holder.

Replace new bulb. Plug in the connector.

Reverse assembly. GO UP THE PUB AND HAVE A COUPLE OF PINTS.

The smaller the car bonnet length the harder it is to replace a bulb!!!!

Osem 04-04-2014 16:06

Fixed our faulty outside PIR/halogen security light. Well when I say 'fixed', I replaced it with an LED version which isn't as bright but still does the trick. Running and fixing the conduit was the hardest part.

Uncle Peter 08-04-2014 19:00

Not exactly fixing but just finished cutting and working the body for my new guitar project (Telecaster/Strat Frankenstein jobby)

It's ready now for routing of the pickup cavities and drilling. I made the pickup templates ages ago for a different guitar... sod buying them from Stewmac.

Osem 12-04-2014 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Peter (Post 35687100)
Not exactly fixing but just finished cutting and working the body for my new guitar project (Telecaster/Strat Frankenstein jobby)

It's ready now for routing of the pickup cavities and drilling. I made the pickup templates ages ago for a different guitar... sod buying them from Stewmac.

You should post some piccies.

I just fixed the wife's car. Well replaced the battery anyway. It failed a few months back but after an overnight charge seemed to be working ok until a few days ago when the car wouldn't start even after an overnight charge. £60 battery from Halfords with 4 years warranty seems to have done the trick even if it was a pain to fit.

richard s 15-04-2014 14:33

What car is it Osem.

Taf 15-04-2014 14:52

Solar LED strings in the garden. They are marked as "outdoor" but corrode very quickly (especially the battery contacts and the switches). Luckily I have fibreglass cleaning sticks.

rhyds 15-04-2014 15:48

Is that on the metro? If so I can guess which bit it is (centre section to back box).

With firegum/gungum the best thing to do is once it dries a bit (say an hour) run the engine at idle for a while to heat the exhaust up and dry the paste out. If you managed to get shot of any loose rust and the rest of the pipe is good then it should last a while.

Uncle Peter 15-04-2014 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35688113)
You should post some piccies.

I sure will over the weekend, just had a prep coat of Wudtone and drying in the workshop (my big shed where the wine lives ;))

dilli-theclaw 15-04-2014 20:51

A moto g phone.... Nice

richard s 16-04-2014 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35689000)
Solar LED strings in the garden. They are marked as "outdoor" but corrode very quickly (especially the battery contacts and the switches). Luckily I have fibreglass cleaning sticks.

One good tip I have discovered is to use silicon spray on the solar panel, this keeps it clean, algae free and more water resistant.

Osem 16-04-2014 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Peter (Post 35689203)
I sure will over the weekend, just had a prep coat of Wudtone and drying in the workshop (my big shed where the wine lives ;))

That sounds a very pleasant place... :)

---------- Post added at 09:49 ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilli-theclaw (Post 35689204)
A moto g phone.... Nice

You fixed one?? What was wrong with it?