Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   VM General News Thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703061)

Media Boy UK 13-03-2017 15:42

Re: John Malone/Liberty/VM General News Thread

Liberty Media owner on track for more motorsport acquisitions

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...-acquisitions/

Media Boy UK 15-03-2017 12:00

Telefonica taps Liberty Global over O2 UK merger

https://www.mobileworldlive.com/feat...-o2-uk-merger/

Pierre 15-03-2017 12:25

Also been knocking around for a while.

Makes more sense than a deal with Vodafone

Horizon 15-03-2017 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35890071)
Also been knocking around for a while.

Makes more sense than a deal with Vodafone

02 is small fry and I don't see why Liberty would bother with it.

Vodafone is global and although it doesn't own half of Verizon now (America's biggest mobile co) it makes sense for a tie up between Liberty and Vodafone which I expect would then lead to a tie up with Verizon too.

Travelstar 16-03-2017 15:18

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03...afone_liberty/

Pierre 16-03-2017 21:05

Vodafone are currently crapping themselves. They've completely missed the boat. They have no TV offering, no content, no fixed lined access network.

In the UK, Vodafone have little to offer Virgin Media, all Vodafone can offer VM is their mobile market. VM have a thin MVNO deal with EE, just renewed, better broadband, TV, and Wifi.

And Vodafone are expensive. If VM wanted their own mobile network O2 would be the better option.

I've said on here for a lng time that A VM/Vodafone tie up is not impossible but it's extremely improbable.

Vodafone need it way more than VM/LG. Vodafone are behind the curve and they'll pay for it.

1andrew1 16-03-2017 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35890383)
Vodafone are currently crapping themselves. They've completely missed the boat. They have no TV offering, no content, no fixed lined access network.

In the UK, Vodafone have little to offer Virgin Media, all Vodafone can offer VM is their mobile market. VM have a thin MVNO deal with EE, just renewed, better broadband, TV, and Wifi.

And Vodafone are expensive. If VM wanted their own mobile network O2 would be the better option.

I've said on here for a lng time that A VM/Vodafone tie up is not impossible but it's extremely improbable.

Vodafone need it way more than VM/LG. Vodafone are behind the curve and they'll pay for it.

I guess that the debate is would it be a merger just in the UK or globally or an exchange of assets? Vodafone has a bigger global presence than Liberty Global and is strong in TV in Spain and Germany.

Travelstar 16-03-2017 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35890383)

Telefonica O2 are missing a very important asset: spectrum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35890387)
I guess that the debate is would it be a merger just in the UK or globally or an exchange of assets? Vodafone has a bigger global presence than Liberty Global and is strong in TV in Spain and Germany.

Let's see what happens. Personally I'm not really a betting man, but at the end of the day it will come down to the regulators, and not just the boardroom. If the Reg is right, we could be seeing the exit of VF from the UK market. HQ will probably move too.

Pierre 17-03-2017 06:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelstar (Post 35890396)
Telefonica O2 are missing a very important asset: spectrum.

Let's see what happens. Personally I'm not really a betting man, but at the end of the day it will come down to the regulators, and not just the boardroom. If the Reg is right, we could be seeing the exit of VF from the UK market. HQ will probably move too.

Or they may just hive off the mobile side. Vodafone has a massive fibre optic backbone network and sub-sea cable portfolio that they acquired from C&W, both of which are no use to VM.

Travelstar 17-03-2017 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35890414)
Or they may just hive off the mobile side. Vodafone has a massive fibre optic backbone network and sub-sea cable portfolio that they acquired from C&W, both of which are no use to VM.

I'm not sure they are of no use to VM, especially as VM charge a lot for their phone service.

Anyhow, let's see what happens. Whilst I don't want to bet on the outcome, I feel that this time something will happen (however large or small that may be).

Pierre 17-03-2017 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelstar (Post 35890470)
I'm not sure they are of no use to VM, especially as VM charge a lot for their phone service.

What's that got to do with it?

Travelstar 17-03-2017 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35890486)
What's that got to do with it?

They do offer a phone service and that includes international calls. Using their own cables can offer a reduction in price in some circumstances.

Pierre 17-03-2017 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelstar (Post 35890515)
They do offer a phone service and that includes international calls. Using their own cables can offer a reduction in price in some circumstances.

Nope, sorry but you obviously don't have a grasp of the industry. Which is fine.

"Phone calls" is a fraction of international traffic, plus you don't differentiate between voice/ data/IP at that level it is all transported the same way.

Trust me, Vodafones fibre network and subsea cables are of no interest to LG ( well maybe one) they are more of a liability.

Travelstar 17-03-2017 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35890522)
Nope, sorry but you obviously don't have a grasp of the industry. Which is fine.

"Phone calls" is a fraction of international traffic, plus you don't differentiate between voice/ data/IP at that level it is all transported the same way.

Trust me, Vodafones fibre network and subsea cables are of no interest to LG ( well maybe one) they are more of a liability.

I should not have said calls. My fault! A few wines on a Friday.

Anyhow I personally don't believe that is a likely outcome of any asset swap anyhow. If LG buys VF assets, in the UK only mobile makes sense. This of course assumes that an asset swap is what eventuates.

weesteev 18-03-2017 10:18

Coming from someone in the industry... I dont see how this deal works. Its been talked up by media sources that don't understand how these companies operate. The VF spectrum is of little use at its current value to LG when other operators like O2 offer a much better return of investment for mobile spectrum. VF has a single asset that LG/VM could utilise while farming off the other elements of their fixed line networks, there is no strategic benefit to a merger/buyout from LG's perspective IMO.

The talks and rumours of talks have boosted share price, that may be as much action as you see from this deal.