Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   SD : TV price rises (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33685160)

andy_m 02-02-2012 14:36

Re: TV price rises

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35374130)
I currently have Sky+HD with Sky World , ESPN , 9mb unlimited BB , Sky Talk with free evening and weekend calls totalling £92.00 on Sky site during the NFL/NCAA offseason I save 9.00 dropping to £83.00 included with this I get Sky 3D , Sky Anytime+ , Sky Sports F1 HD and Sky Go.

Building a bundle of 10mb BB , XL TV , L Phone , Sky Sports and Movies with Premium HD currently quotes me 97.50 but that's with TIVO fee still saying £3.00 so will rise to £99.50

In fairness, if you take the premium Sky channels then Sky are the cheaper option - and what I posted earlier should refer to some, and not all cases. Each company offers a slightly different product and each is capable of coming out on top depending on the individual needs of the customer.

You are, however, lucky enough to get decent speeds from your exchange, whereas I need cable to get anything remotely approaching decent, and I'm much more interested in on demand content than I am in paying for premium channels. Even with the price increases I'm still paying less than I would with Sky, and more to the point I'm getting exactly what I want rather than an approximation of it.

howardmicks 02-02-2012 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35374054)
erm, Sky prices will be rising in September, I am sure.

No doubt but least they see something for they dont bt+skys services are moving forward and vm's seems to be going backward

---------- Post added at 14:57 ---------- Previous post was at 14:53 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35374141)
Interesting but then that has to be weighed against a far superior VOD service from Virgin and a superior and faster broadband network and and on top of that there is also the yet to be fulfilled potential of the Tivo which hopefully soon will start fulfilling its huge potential.

Was a far superior vod service,thats starting to look old and worn.sky's is catching up rapid

denphone 02-02-2012 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by howardmicks (Post 35374160)
No doubt but least they see something for they dont bt+skys services are moving forward and vm's seems to be going backward

Sorry howard but l think Virgins offerings has improved beyond all recognition compared to 3 years ago and l expect it to improve again in fthe coming months.

---------- Post added at 14:59 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by howardmicks (Post 35374160)

---------- Post added at 14:57 ---------- Previous post was at 14:53 ----------

Was a far superior vod service,thats starting to look old and worn.sky's is catching up rapid

No Sky's VOD still a lap behind.

howardmicks 02-02-2012 15:07

Really hope yer right denphone,i would hate to have to go back to sky but tv needs a vast improvement and tivo needs some backing and more reliability

m419 02-02-2012 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35374109)
Cable & Wireless split into Cable & Wireless Communications (Intenational Telecom provider) and Cable & Wirless Worldwide (communication networks and services)

Cable & Wireless Communications (which provides Telecom services in Panama, Macau, Caribbean, Maldives the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) is doing well

Cable & Wirless Worldwide (who provide communication networks and services to businesses worldwide) is not doing so well

They were in the Telcoms/Cable business (Mercury Communications/Cable & Wirless Communications) form 1984 to the late 1990s (when it was bought by NTL)

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:59 ----------

What about Canal Plus for the Channel Islands, or even Virgin Media and UPC!

There is no Virgin Media or Cable tv on the islands. There was something called Newtel in Jersey but dunno if that is still going.

But it's up to people in those countries to do something about it. Like I said those islands are like Canada to the UK, nothing but the queens head on the money.

passingbat 02-02-2012 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35374141)
and on top of that there is also the yet to be fulfilled potential of the Tivo which hopefully soon will start fulfilling its huge potential.

They have had a long time since launch to do that, and all we've got is a few paltry apps.

Why is it taking so long to enable multi room streaming, which will be a big USP over Sky.

Alan Fry 02-02-2012 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by m419 (Post 35374175)
There is no Virgin Media or Cable tv on the islands. There was something called Newtel in Jersey but dunno if that is still going.

I am suggesting that Virgin Media should launch on the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man to compete with Sky

BenMcr 02-02-2012 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35374177)
Why is it taking so long to enable multi room streaming, which will be a big USP over Sky.

At a guess, it's because the technical aspect on the TiVo STB is only one part. Virgin Media also need to be able to support it, and if it's an official product, provide appropriate hardware

Alan Fry 02-02-2012 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35374179)
At a guess, it's because the technical aspect on the TiVo STB is only one part. Virgin Media also need to be able to support it, and if it's an official product, provide appropriate hardware

The sooner we get multi-room streaming the better

muppetman11 02-02-2012 15:49

Quote:

They have had a long time since launch to do that, and all we've got is a few paltry apps.

Already in testing I believe
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...6&postcount=13

Alan Fry 02-02-2012 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35374191)

Any news on Virgin TIVO multi-streaming?

m419 02-02-2012 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35374178)
I am suggesting that Virgin Media should launch on the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man to compete with Sky

haha Virgin Media can't dig up in Westminster, I very much doubt they will be able to dig up a small island like Guernsey and it will never make a profit, Cable and Wireless could make it worthwhile though by using existing telegraph poles ect.... Alderney has a very small population and would be quite costly.

And the subject of this thread is about TV prices going up, If they expand to those islands, then we will have even more price increases to pay for that, like we don't already support them countries enough as it is, and they are not part of the UK, so you might as well say, why doesn't Virgin Media expand into France or Spain? All those Islands seem more foreign to me than the Republic of Ireland to me

denphone 02-02-2012 16:00

Quote:

Yes l agree that multi room streaming will be a great function to have and the sooner it comes the more it will be to Virgins advantage and to the detriment of Sky.

Rivva 02-02-2012 16:03

If we weren't to have the extra BB speed that's been recently announced/promised, I don't think there'd have been a TV price increase. But that's just my opinion.

Digital Fanatic 02-02-2012 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rivva (Post 35374198)
If we weren't to have the extra BB speed that's been recently announced/promised, I don't think there'd have been a TV price increase. But that's just my opinion.

The sale of Virgin Media Television channels (Bravo Virgin 1 etc) is paying for the upgrades according to VM.