Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686670)

carlwaring 02-04-2012 20:56

Re: Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Then you shouldn't be using a home consumer service for business use.

(Yes, I know you're not a business yourself, but I am technically correct; if not 100% serious ;))

greeninferno 02-04-2012 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35408499)
Just one dam minute these measure affect those who

Stream video
Stream Music
Use Spotify
Download from Origin
Download from Steam
Stream from Iplayer
Stream from Netflixs
Stream from Lovefilms
Stream from ITV player
Upload to my FTP
Backup to Cloud including VM's own backup system that they give to every user who wants it.
Upload to my website
Play online gaming
Be a server for an online game
Voip calls
Stream tv to my Ipad when away from home

The list is longer and i am sure others could add to that

When you have a family who use the above ALL the time STM becomes the biggest pain in the arse of any ISP

So what is this normal activity you talk about

you could add in Sky Anytime + as they are now allowing any Broadband provider to stream their stuff including HD films.

Anyone know what the average size of an HD film would be on Sky Anytime+?

BenMcr 02-04-2012 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by greeninferno (Post 35408771)
Anyone know what the average size of an HD film would be on Sky Anytime+?

You can't get HD films via Anytime+. They still get downloaded via the satellite

broadbandking 02-04-2012 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35408679)
I work for them and i don't like the new limits, So whats your answer to that ?

Indeed if you do any of these you will suffer

Stream video
Stream Music
Use Spotify
Download from Origin
Download from Steam
Stream from Iplayer
Stream from Netflixs
Stream from Lovefilms
Stream from ITV player
Upload to my FTP
Backup to Cloud including VM's own backup system that they give to every user who wants it.
Upload to my website
Play online gaming
Voip calls

The list is longer and i am sure others could add to that

When you have a family who use the above ALL the time STM becomes the biggest pain in the arse of any ISP

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 19:52 ----------

I take it you dont have a big family doing any of these

Stream video
Stream Music
Use Spotify
Download from Origin
Download from Steam
Stream from Iplayer
Stream from Netflixs
Stream from Lovefilms
Stream from ITV player
Upload to my FTP
Upload to my website
Play online gaming
Voip calls

Use Workaway

So your saying ever night or most nights you watch films TV shows play online games upload data to an FTP a website all at the same time surely not plus "Stream tv to my Ipad when away from home" won't use your VM broadband.

I admit families now use more bandwidth but you got 12Gb worth to upload I am sure you'll be between 5-9

Sigma 02-04-2012 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyronnie (Post 35408634)
I'm not surprised that your happy with the new STM. You work for VM after all.

I don't work for VM but I am happy with the new STM limits, simply because there is no situation where I am worse off than I was before.

Perhaps I'm just not understanding the nature of the gripes though. I do understand why people who have not yet been upgraded are unhappy, but post-upgrade everyone will be better off than they were previously, won't they?

Risco 02-04-2012 23:00

It better fix this crap!!

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

jcm193 02-04-2012 23:02

I would be happy with the stm if i actually downloaded enough to trigger it my 100 meg connection has been painfully slow since 5pm and downloading from newsgroups is now a total joke well done virgin in destroying any faith i ever had in you.How can it be acceptable for virgin to keep on charging full price for a now sub standard service there is nothing quite like having your cake and eating it.

Chrysalis 03-04-2012 00:32

only time will tell, as the top 2 tiers will now get download stm when they previously didnt and the top 1 tier will get upload stm when it previously didnt, I suspect the prime cause of your messy graph is upstream congestion. There is also rumoured 2nd US channels coming, and if its truly new capacity (not bonding existing 2nd channel) then that will improve things.

babis3g 03-04-2012 05:02

found this from a board with complains about new traffic from VM
http://www.cap.org.uk/Media-Centre/2...20%282%29.ashx

Sirius 03-04-2012 06:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadbandking (Post 35408792)
So your saying ever night or most nights you watch films TV shows play online games upload data to an FTP a website all at the same time surely not plus "Stream tv to my Ipad when away from home" won't use your VM broadband.

I admit families now use more bandwidth but you got 12Gb worth to upload I am sure you'll be between 5-9

Its not the upload i am worried about, Its the download in the evening that worries me and its affect on my connection. It will get reduced because i dared to use it for anything other than browsing or checking my mail.

kwikbreaks 03-04-2012 07:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35408859)
Its not the upload i am worried about, Its the download in the evening that worries me and its affect on my connection. It will get reduced because i dared to use it for anything other than browsing or checking my mail.

If you do 10GB of an evening browsing and reading email you must be a very very fast reader. Even if you hit STM then the 50Mbps you'll be restricted to is plenty good enough for a very large family to browse and read email.

To avoid the growing problem of oversubscription VM would need a much more draconian STM. That means it will still be a post code lottery on whether or not you get close to the headline speeds.

Blackened 03-04-2012 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35408653)
were the old 30meg STM limits the same as the new one? cant remember.

Yeah.

Old: http://www.virginmedia.com/images/tm-table-fu-large.jpg

You just go down to 50% speed instead of 75% speed when STM'd.

I'm sure someone said the threshold's were changing too. I Must have misunderstood.

broadbandking 03-04-2012 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35408859)

Some of the things you listed can surely be done after before the STM windows kick in, plus 50Mb could handle a few family members steaming.

I am not trying too nit pick Sirius but why not test it then see if it really does affect you that much.

carlwaring 03-04-2012 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by babis3g (Post 35408851)
found this from a board with complains about new traffic from VM
http://www.cap.org.uk/Media-Centre/2...20%282%29.ashx

Thanks for that. Although I have only glanced through the document, it certainly seems to prove that VM are working within the rules when advertising their service as "unlimited". Though I'm sure this fact will annoy a certain number of people. Wish I'd found it myself years ago back in the days of the VM newsgroups :)

Sirius 03-04-2012 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadbandking (Post 35408886)
Some of the things you listed can surely be done after before the STM windows kick in, plus 50Mb could handle a few family members steaming.

I am not trying too nit pick Sirius but why not test it then see if it really does affect you that much.

I will be testing it and if its affecting me drastically then i am willing to pay for infinity.