PDA

View Full Version : Do NTL stick to schedule?

td444
23-03-2004, 00:48
Just wondering if there's any truth / accuracy to this :

http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/lookup/default.asp

Coventry is due to be resegmented according to this. Do NTL actually stick to these times/dates? I was told on the phone that it was the 8th last time, but mentioned nothing on this site.

Its 12:47am and my connection still hasnt dropped out. Admittedly downstream/upstream is fine, just occasional gaming is crap for obvious reasons.

Chris W
23-03-2004, 11:35
As far as i have seen, if work is published on the public server status page that means it is scheduled and going to go ahead. However, there are sometimes problems/ reasons that it won't.

Have things improved today?

td444
23-03-2004, 21:42
Seems good pinging 4u-servers, downstream and upstream excellent as per usual. Only the occasional jitter every 10/15 icmp packets otherwise excellent too, but I do know that ICMP doesnt get priority so ill game some later and see if its playable :-)

I have done a dosdiag earlier, numbers for users were the same which makes me think maybe docsdiag is wrong or NTL did something else.

td444
24-03-2004, 21:21
I spoke way too soon, its gone down the shoot again. Luckily downstream and upstream are both good which is my priority so its not all too bad.

Im not suprised myself that upstream isnt effected, I did some reading up on DOCSIS 1.1 earlier, in short, NTL's upstream channels are running out of smaller "burst" channels for small one off packets (like a ICMP ping).

MetaWraith
25-03-2004, 10:46
Well there was time when NTL could well have stood for "Not Today, Love" but just lately they do seem to have keeping to schedule pretty well, at least in my area.

td444
25-03-2004, 16:02
Between the times 5:30pm - 9:30pm, upstream latency is a bit jumpy, which is fine as its about the time im studying for my A2 levels :D

I dont mind really, its a nice connection for what I mainly use it for, just like to have that upstream fixed some time soon before it starts affecting general use.