PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Network Adaptor help

inny
20-03-2004, 16:47
hi, ive just brought a PS2 Network adaptor and im wondering if i need to subscirbe to the ntl PS2 thing im currently runnin 1Mbs broadband do i need to do anything else?
thanks for you help:)

inny
20-03-2004, 18:01
every time i try and connect it says DNS Error Can some one help with installation of this bloody thing?

paulyoung666
20-03-2004, 18:39
every time i try and connect it says DNS Error Can some one help with installation of this bloody thing?

hi and :welcome: to the site , may i be so bold as to point you here (http://www.playstationpro2.com/misc/ps2_online_faq.html) , hopefully you will find your answer , hope you enjoy your stay here btw :D :D :D :D

browneggsandham
01-04-2004, 12:33
OK, I have looked at that site but just want to clarify a couple of things:

1) I connect to BB using USB. My PC is too far away from the PS2 to unplug the ethernet cable directly from the Ethernet-to-USB Adaptor. Would it work the same if I used the ethernet cable directly from the modem (which is built into the STB)????

2) And just to make sure, will it still work without paying that £5p/m extra to ntl, albeit getting no technical support or the like??

Thanks in advance,
Browneggsandham :)

Stuart W
01-04-2004, 12:38
1) yes. (you may need to power cycle your STB)
2) yes.

FYI, if you use USB to connect to broadband, here's something to think about...
Your PC (worth hundreds of pounds) is spending some of it's valuable time 'emulating' a nework card (worth under five pounds).
It is WELL WORTH forking out a few quid on a network card & long enough patch cable for our needs. (patch cables can run to 150M, so distance shouldn't be a problem unless you live in a palace;) )

browneggsandham
01-04-2004, 13:27
1) yes. (you may need to power cycle your STB)
2) yes.

FYI, if you use USB to connect to broadband, here's something to think about...
Your PC (worth hundreds of pounds) is spending some of it's valuable time 'emulating' a nework card (worth under five pounds).
It is WELL WORTH forking out a few quid on a network card & long enough patch cable for our needs. (patch cables can run to 150M, so distance shouldn't be a problem unless you live in a palace;) )

OK cheers mate. So if I was to go out and buy a Network Adaptor today, I
shouldn't have have any problems getting it working?? And by power cycle, do you just mean reboot???

And just out of interest, what you were saying about ethernet, I'm sure I've read before that it's best to connect to BB through USB where possible. What really is the difference between the two??

Thanks for the help,
Browneggsandham :)

poolking
01-04-2004, 13:53
Ethernet is always best for connecting to BB, I do not have a clue why NTL recommend USB.

For starters USB uses power from the motherboard to work, if it uses too much then In my experience the computer will shut down or blue screen.

USB is ideally meant for connecting peripherals to your PC and was never intended for network usage.

Trust me and others, always connect to BB via ethernet, let no one persuade you otherwise.

hatrick
01-04-2004, 16:10
have to agree, best bet is to use patch cable instead of USB. NTL probably used USB as a means of connecting as it is far easier for user to set up and plus nearly all machines will have USB ports compared to Network cards (though onboard NICS are becoming standard on mobo's now).