PDA

View Full Version : Quick basic install question....

YOUWIN
20-03-2004, 16:58
lo all,

my father in law has ordered NTL 150k service and its being installed at the end of the month.

He has a NTL phone line but no longer uses NTL for his digital TV (got rid of it and now uses sky+).

He was told that the price per month £17.99 includes the cable modem.
What i would like to know is how the cable modem connects to the ntl line - is it wired to the box on the outside of his house, or does it just connect into a phone socket?

If it is just to a phone socket, then does it have to be the master socket, or can it be to any phone extension? - i'd like to know this because i can easily run an extension into the bedroom where the PC is located, however the master socket is @ the opposite end of the house and downstairs, which would be a problem :Yikes:

Is there anything else that i should make him aware of before the bloke turns up at the end of the month?

Much obliged,:)
YW

Kneebs
20-03-2004, 17:02
It will connect to the same box that the set tob box used to connect to - the installer can/will install another box wherever you want it to be, if necessary

Stuartbe
20-03-2004, 17:03
Hi YOUWIN and a great big :welcome: to the site m8 :)

The cable modem connects to the outside box via a wall box that in turn is connected to the outside box. It has noting to do with the phoneline and will not affect it. The connection is by coax and not telephone/copper pair.

HTH

YOUWIN
21-03-2004, 11:46
thx for the swift reply fellas :)
from your posts i take it that the coax is used between the outside box and the wall box, and that the cable modem has a set length of cable provided to reach the wall box?

I think this will awkward for the installer, he'll have to run coax around the the outside of the house, up to the first floor into the bedroom before fitting the wall box.
There's no way my father in law will allow coax being run inside the house and upstairs.

cheers,
YW

paulyoung666
21-03-2004, 11:49
thats about it , should be fun trying to persuad the installer that he is not going run coax up the stairs and around the skirting boards :Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes: , mind you , get the choccy biccies out and you never know ;)

Death Jester
21-03-2004, 14:45
Actually, when I first had BB installed, the installer didn't do either of those. He drilled a hole in my floor. Through my carpet. Without asking me first.

Ah, ain't ntl great :dozey:

abailey152
21-03-2004, 14:59
Can't complain about my installer. He seemed quite switched on, was polite, and did the job the way I asked. The spotty faced moron (so called technician) who followed him to commission the STB was the problem. He was a right pillock with a big mouth on him. Kept ****ging of the installer guy, although it was patently obvious the installer knew more than him.

MovedGoalPosts
21-03-2004, 15:34
Actually, when I first had BB installed, the installer didn't do either of those. He drilled a hole in my floor. Through my carpet. Without asking me first.

Ah, ain't ntl great :dozey:

He would have been "dicing with death" if he'd done that in my house. Parts of my floors have so many wires and pipes just under the floorboards (the combination of my own and previous owners DIY bodges). Drilling without looking first is really risky.