PDA

View Full Version : Idiots guide please

HornetUK
20-03-2004, 11:28
Hi

My BB is very slow but used to be solved by having a setting in LAN settings and figures is ADDRESS & PORT which I just ticked the box and got speedy surfing again. Between ticking & unticking the box all was always fine. But the box settings no longer work.

Can someone please tell me an address and port entry that will speed things up again.

Thanks very much

Stuartbe
20-03-2004, 11:30
Hi m8...

What area are you in ? I will find the best proxy for your area for you !

There are a few very poorly proxy servers out there ATM !

Neil
20-03-2004, 11:35
Hi m8...

HornetUK
nthw.addict

Just down the road from you Stu! :D

Stuartbe
20-03-2004, 11:37
That explains things.... * plays funeral durge in the background - followed by the last post * What proxy server are you using at the moment... Nearly all of the luton proxy servers are pants !

HornetUK
20-03-2004, 11:44
I have nothing in the address / port boxes now as it stopped working, don't know how I see the default one.

downquark1
20-03-2004, 11:48
Hi m8...

Is there a test for finding the best proxy, or is it just a matter of using each one?

Stuartbe
20-03-2004, 11:50
Try this one first - cache6-lutn.server.ntli.net IP = 62.252.64.9 port 8080

If that does not work then I find that the watford ones work well most of the time.

This one - cache2-wtfd.server.ntli.net 80.3.0.42 port 8080 usualy works well...

It sounds like you may be stuck on the luton 1 cache...

Go here - www.all-nettools.com and click on proxy test... This will tell you the proxy you are currently on...

HTH

Stuartbe
20-03-2004, 11:51
Is there a test for finding the best proxy, or is it just a matter of using each one?

I have a proxy speed tester.. Most of the faster proxy servers are miles from here but I try not to use them unless I have no choice as it can unbalance the network.

Paul
20-03-2004, 15:24
Lutons proxy servers are awful - I have been monitoring them for a few weeks now and they are always dropping out - In fact cache 2 has been regularly dropping out between 9am and 2:30pm today.

Every evening Luton's cache 2 & cache 7 are always failing - with odd dropouts by 4 & 8. You would have thought that NTL must be aware of this - even with the most rudimentary monitoring such as what I use it's obvious they have problems.

Chrysalis
20-03-2004, 17:16
/me scratches head why not just turn of all proxies sell the hardware and save on staffing costs to maintain them, external bandwidth is not very expensive now days, unless ntl have a poorly negotiated deal with their peers.

Neil
20-03-2004, 17:42
Lutons proxy servers are awful - I have been monitoring them for a few weeks now and they are always dropping out - In fact cache 2 has been regularly dropping out between 9am and 2:30pm today.

Every evening Luton's cache 2 & cache 7 are always failing - with odd dropouts by 4 & 8. You would have thought that NTL must be aware of this - even with the most rudimentary monitoring such as what I use it's obvious they have problems.

Pem-they have been aware of it since last summer, when Ben & I presented about 30 pages of posts about it to Aizad.

Nice to see he did something about it eh? :rolleyes:

HornetUK
20-03-2004, 20:08
Cheers stuartbe all sorted now.

Stuartbe
20-03-2004, 20:22
Cheers stuartbe all sorted now.

NP m8... Glad I could help :)