PDA

View Full Version : Default Gateway..

JonPlatt
19-03-2004, 14:22
Every so often i get a red-cross over the correct connect symbol at the bottom of the screen, and when i click on this is comes up with a list of monitored servers and the one for Default Gateway has a red cross over it. It doesnt do it all the time, just maybe once or twice every 2 weeks. I am just wondering if anyone knows what this means?

Cheers :tu:

paulyoung666
19-03-2004, 14:48
correct connect is a pain , bin it i say :D :D :D

Stuartbe
19-03-2004, 15:00
Every so often i get a red-cross over the correct connect symbol at the bottom of the screen, and when i click on this is comes up with a list of monitored servers and the one for Default Gateway has a red cross over it. It doesnt do it all the time, just maybe once or twice every 2 weeks. I am just wondering if anyone knows what this means?

Cheers :tu:

Its telling you that it cant ping your gateway ! The gateway is the device that connects you to the internet - Like the front door to your house.

It could just be a bad network connection. If this keeps hapening then you should report it to NTL.

Chris W
19-03-2004, 15:06
i agree with binning correct connect!

I have spoken to people at work who have had the same problem, but found you if try to ping the default gateway from the command prompt, it is fine.

If you are behind a router, the gateway will be the router's ip address, and if not it will normally be your ip address with 254 at the end, eg if my ip was 81.109.111.113, the default gateway would be 81.111.113.254.

To check your ip address/ gateway- start -> run -> cmd (or command for win98/me) -> ipconfig
then to ping the gateway in the dos window, type ping youripadress, eg 81.109.111.113

hth