PDA

View Full Version : Icons

tomw
12-07-2003, 11:02
Could anybody please help by telling me how to make your own icons for the desktop the reason i ask is my young chid has started usingthe computor and i would like to put the icons he will reconise Ie CBB,s as a link to there internet site
Regards

Tricky
12-07-2003, 11:10
Right Click your Icon and select properties
On the screen there should be a [change icon] button
Should default to %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll for non-executables normal executables should have icons associated with them (in resources within the compiled exe).

tomw
12-07-2003, 11:13
I have managed to get that far cheers but how do i insert my own icon ie a giff ir bitmap image

Tricky
12-07-2003, 11:17
In the same place select the browse button.
This will allow you to select your .ICO files or another EXE etc to select the ICONS within that file. On the browse change the file type to be all files, this way you can select BMP's etc.

There are a number of apps that allow you to extract ICO's from EXE if you want to keep them in a single place.

bopdude
12-07-2003, 11:51
You can save any picture you want and then resize and convert to a windows icon format ( .ico ) using infranview, download it here (http://www.sew-and-sews.com/Tutorials/InstallingIView.htm)

Good luck and let us know if you have trouble using it :)

EDIT:- be sure to save them somewhere safe so as not to delete them, you could always put them in the icon's folder when you have converted them :)