PDA

View Full Version : Nottingham Server Problem

squealy
18-03-2004, 11:16
Hi, I just wondered whether anyone had any info re the server problem in Nottingham. I spoke to Technical Support last night, after two days of no cable modem connection and it appears that "Server 6" is down. Luckily for me, that's the server my CM connects to. It's quite frustrating when all your mates on NTL in Nottingham have connections and you don't. Also it's making it very difficult to manage my Fantasy Football League team (for some reason they object to me doing this at work). I didn't have time to check whether things had been fixed this morning before leaving the house.

Any info would be much appreciated.

jizz
18-03-2004, 12:26
would this problem also affect the rugby and coventry areas, as i have had no cable modem now for 18hours odd. (Cable light on modem is dead, with the occasional brief spurt of flashing).

Paul
18-03-2004, 13:19
Hi, I just wondered whether anyone had any info re the server problem in Nottingham. I spoke to Technical Support last night, after two days of no cable modem connection and it appears that "Server 6" is down. Luckily for me, that's the server my CM connects to. It's quite frustrating when all your mates on NTL in Nottingham have connections and you don't. Also it's making it very difficult to manage my Fantasy Football League team (for some reason they object to me doing this at work). I didn't have time to check whether things had been fixed this morning before leaving the house.

Any info would be much appreciated.

That reply makes very little sense. Your cable modem does not connect to a "server".

Is it just your web browing that is not working - in which case it could be Nottingham Cache 6 which is faulty (I monitor them and have no indication of it being down here). You could try manually specifying a different proxy (cache) server to see if that works.

If it's not working tonight then ask them to explain properly what the problem is.

Edit:

Actually I found this in my logs ;

18-Mar-2004-01:40:19 : CX37429U : Connect to NOTT-CACHE6 on port 8080 failed : Error code = [10060] Connection timed out.

Which may indicate they re-booted it last night.

squealy
18-03-2004, 14:09
Excuse my ignorance. I was only quoting what I was told by Technical Support.

squealy
18-03-2004, 17:20
All appears to be well now. Fingers crossed. :)

It wasn't just web browsing. Email too. Cable modem lights not on except the d/s one flashing. I must have misunderstood what the TS bloke said.

Now, what chance me getting compensation for the two day outage? Yes, I thought as much.

iain_herts
18-03-2004, 19:03
count ur self lucky i was with out 4 days last week end

Paul
18-03-2004, 21:50
Excuse my ignorance. I was only quoting what I was told by Technical Support.

and I was only telling you that what they said didn't make much sense. :)

squealy
19-03-2004, 11:33
Sorry pem, I tend to get a bit touchy when my internet access is jeopardised.

Anyway, it looks like I spoke too soon about things being fixed with Cache 6 in Nottingham. It was working from about 5pm to 9pm (and maybe longer but I was at work before that). However, when I got home from the pub at 11.45pm it was down again.

I didn't have time to even switch my pc on this morning but from the lights on the CM it looked like it was up and running again, possibly because there'd been another reboot? I've reported last night's outage to Tech Support this morning, but they said they could only make a note of it, if it seemed the service was working.

I'm concerned that a pattern is emerging where Nottingham Cache 6 is failing during the evening and then not being fixed, just rebooted the next morning. Somehow I doubt this will happen over the weekend if it fails again tonight.

Please, can someone sort it out? I'm getting very stressed.