PDA

View Full Version : Memory problems

Captain_caveman
12-07-2003, 00:03
I'm using win xp and it seems to be running slow.
I press ctrl/alt/del/ to find that there are 4 processes by the same programme (svchost.exe) which seem to be taking up a hell of a lot of memory.
One, the "user" name is Local service, and 2 with the "user" name System are using between 3000K and 5000K of memory but one with the user (network servive) takes up 18500K of memory.
Is it ok to end the processes, or will xp "blow up"?

Also when I was using IE i got the message a few times that there was not enough virtual memory to open the page, even though I only had programmes running (Outlook and IE)

Any help much appriciated.

Cheers

Chris
12-07-2003, 00:12
Go on, live dangerously and find out ... just save your stuff first. The worst you can do is crash it.

:D

Bifta
12-07-2003, 00:15
Originally posted by Captain_caveman
I press ctrl/alt/del/ to find that there are 4 processes by the same programme (svchost.exe) which seem to be taking up a hell of a lot of memory.
One, the "user" name is Local service, and 2 with the "user" name System are using between 3000K and 5000K of memory but one with the user (network servive) takes up 18500K of memory.

Also when I was using IE i got the message a few times that there was not enough virtual memory to open the page, even though I only had programmes running (Outlook and IE)

Cheers

It's quite normal, see my processes below. Stopping any of them will probably cause your machine to shut down.

Ramrod
12-07-2003, 00:15

Cheers
I seem to remember that there was a windows xp update to fix the 'Not enough virtual memory' problem....

danielf
12-07-2003, 00:16
Why don't you reboot...

Ramrod
12-07-2003, 00:18
Originally posted by Bifta
It's quite normal Same here, on my 'puter.
Can you run ad-aware or spybot? Might be something to do with spyware....?

Captain_caveman
12-07-2003, 00:31
Originally posted by danielf
Why don't you reboot...
Tried it several times but still the same.

I've had update running for about 3 weeks flat and installing everything they've been throwing at me and the problem still occurs. I first thought it was the memory sticks but they have been changed since and I still have the problem.

Ramrod: Do you have a link to where I could get adware/spybot, just in case someone has manged to get through zone alarm.

Cheers

danielf
12-07-2003, 00:35

Ramrod: Do you have a link to where I could get adware/spybot, just in case someone has manged to get through zone alarm.

Cheers

adaware: www.lavasoft.com
spybot: can't find it this instant, but google throws up pcworld downloads. I'm sure you can find it from there

Bifta
12-07-2003, 00:38
Like I said, it's normal, you don't need to run spyware removers to get rid of essential system processes, that's just plain mad.

Ramrod
12-07-2003, 00:39
Like I said, it's normal, you don't need to run spyware removers to get rid of essential system processes, that's just plain mad. Yes but it might help with his slowdown.
..........btw, have you done a defrag?
..........and spybot is here (http://beam.to/spybotsd)
...........maby you've got a trojan or summat like that?

Bifta
12-07-2003, 00:43
It sounds more like a fragmented pagefile, try removing it (set it to 0 and 0), defragging, rebooting then letting windows rechoose the swap file size.

danielf
12-07-2003, 00:55
It sounds more like a fragmented pagefile, try removing it (set it to 0 and 0)

Errrm, I'm not the one with the problem, but could you translate that into English?

Captain_caveman
12-07-2003, 00:57
Doh
Now why didn't I think of that!
A defrag may be the way to go the drive is 45% fragmented.
:dunce:
I may check out the ad and spyware after anyway if the problems persist.

I'm off to find a cave to crawl in.

Thanks for the help.

Cavey!

P.S an english version might be a good idea.

kronas
12-07-2003, 02:36
another program thats handy for spyware in xp itself and also has other options like clearing your page file at shutdown is xp antispy

http://www.xp-antispy.de/Eng/setup.exe

Bifta
12-07-2003, 02:40
Originally posted by danielf
Errrm, I'm not the one with the problem, but could you translate that into English?

It wasn't really aimed at you, more at the person with the problem, anyhoo, for example ... in Windows XP

Start/control panel/system/advanced/performance settings/advanced/change/select custom size/put 0 in for initial size and 0 in for maximum size (or select "no paging file)/reboot/go back into the same options and either pick another initial and max size or select "System Managed Size".

Interesting it is not ...

Swapfiles tend to mess up when there's not enough contigious disk space to support the size specified, swap file = virtual memory.

BubbleGum
12-07-2003, 02:45
Originally posted by kronas
another program thats handy for spyware in xp itself and also has other options like clearing your page file at shutdown is xp antispy

http://www.xp-antispy.de/Eng/setup.exe
Well done on posting something useful http://www.masterlymayhem.com/page/page2/369.gif

I might even look at that myself - thankyou :)

Lord Nikon
12-07-2003, 02:51
don't forget to periodically wipe the prefetch folder...

start / run / cmd

cd \windows\prefetch

(make sure your prompt at this time says c:\windows\prefetch>)

del .

you will be asked "Are you sure? (y/n)"

answer Y then hit enter
it will wipe the prefetch folder which can help

then type EXIT and hit enter

Tricky
12-07-2003, 08:55
Might have missed it but can you post your "Total memory (real not virtual) & What size you have your pagefile set to"

martinell
16-07-2003, 04:04
save ram and gain performance by tweaking ure services in xp and w2k by checking out the services and processes that are running. fantastic guide written here www.blackviper.com get the os u want an read carefully!! :)
all those svchost.exe that suck u dry are explained. saved me 24mb of ram even with a "safe" config :) :)