PDA

View Full Version : Yo-yo Ping

Death Jester
16-03-2004, 18:26
Firsty, let me say nice forums!

Now then, about July of 2003, I had bad ping problems. It was usually very good, around 20-30 on BF1942, but then around 8pm onwards, it would shoot up to well over 5000.

I contacted ntl, and after a lot of fobbing-off, they finally let an engineer come round to check on it.

He checked my connections, but he also let in on a fact: ntl was not paying the engy's to fix the problems, just to come round and check the wires. He also said that they were over-subscribing the servers, which is why the bad ping.

I went back to ntl with this information, and they told me that they were fixing it. 3 months later, my ping seemed ok.

But recently, it has gone bad again. It is not only after 8pm this time though, it is bad all the time. It does not seem to be too bad while running websites, just playing games (though sometimes it fails to load the websites cause it times out).

Anyone know if this is going to be fixed?

Also, are all broadband ISPs like this, or is it just ntl being crappy again?
Oh, and just for the info, my computer specs are:

Windows XP Home
Athlon XP 3000+
120gb Maxtor Hard Drive (7200rpm)
Abit NF7-S Motherboard
Radeon 9800pro (128mb) Graphics Card
Sounblaster Live! 5.1 Soundcard
AOpen CDWR (52x32x52)
Samsung DVD Drive
Sony 3.5" Floppy Drive
1024mb DDR333 MOT 184pin Dimm PC2700 RAM
GlacialTech Igloo 26dbA CPU Cooler
IIYAMA 19" Monitor

600k connection on broadband modem.

I live in the Hertfordshire area (Letchworth).

Neil
16-03-2004, 18:32
Hi & Welcome to nthw. :)

I may be wrong, but I have a feeling you are not the only person in the Letchworth area to have these issues.

I have a feeling you come under the Luton umbrella (technically), & that (as you know) is the problem.

Perhaps someone from ntl can shed some light on this for you?

Stuartbe
16-03-2004, 18:34
If he comes under the Luton area then the prognosis may not be good.... I know 4 people who consistantly have poo ping's to game servers that live in diferent parts of luton. One of them in Hitchen....

Maybe its time to find another ISP m8..

BTW - :welcome: to the site :)

Death Jester
16-03-2004, 19:50
Yeah, im about 5 mins drive from hitchin. Right on the border between Hitchin/Letchworth.

paulyoung666
16-03-2004, 19:54
maybe a session with docs diag might be in order , it wont cure it but at least you will be able to see how many ppl are on the same upstream as you :) , if this is proved to be excessive then you can front ntl with it :)

Death Jester
16-03-2004, 20:10
Yrah, I already started a thread asking about which ISP is good

quadplay
17-03-2004, 03:12
I can only confirm that there's massive oversubscription on the Cheshunt UBR, as I haven't looked at the others in Luton, but I get the feeling that the Hitchin router is the same.

Unfortunately, it's up to the Business Unit to decide on and pay for new UBRs and re-segmentation (I think - though I'm willing to be corrected), so it's them you need to pester. Write to:

ntl Group Ltd
Marlborough House
Wigmore Place
Wigmore Lane
LUTON
LU2 9EX