PDA

View Full Version : Net Nanny style software (your recommendations?)

Shaun
16-03-2004, 14:14
I'm sure there is a thread here somewhere about this but I cant for the life of me find it, maybe it's in the NTHW.com archives lost forever :(

I signed my grandparents up for Tisacli's 3x "broadband" product yesterday, and canceled their AOL dial-up account.

My cousins use their computer a fair bit so I set them up as a separate AOL screen name with child status so they couldn't access anything they shouldn't. Now they are leaving AOL I need to find some software that will do the same for them, well you know what kids are like :disturbd:

Can any of you recommend any (free) software that you've used?

Shaun
16-03-2004, 14:50
Was just doing a search for some software to see whats out there and I came across this:

Neighborhood Sex
Offender Alert
Our Price Only $19.95
Free ZIP Search!

Sex Offender Live Near You?
This isn't exactly spy software, but we thought it was so important, we had to let you know about it. Start with a free ZIP search to see how many registered sex offenders live near you. Then, for only $19.95 get their picture, address, and type of crimes. Join National Alert Registry

:rolleyes: :disturbd:

http://www.software4parents.com/

mmm
16-03-2004, 18:15
I'm sure there is a thread here somewhere about this but I cant for the life of me find it, maybe it's in the NTHW.com archives lost forever :(

I signed my grandparents up for Tisacli's 3x "broadband" product yesterday, and canceled their AOL dial-up account.

My cousins use their computer a fair bit so I set them up as a separate AOL screen name with child status so they couldn't access anything they shouldn't. Now they are leaving AOL I need to find some software that will do the same for them, well you know what kids are like :disturbd:

Can any of you recommend any (free) software that you've used?

A hosts file is a good way to block some ads and tracking cookies, but I don't think you'll find something free to run on the PC thats anything like as nannyish as AOL. I'm sure my kids could get around anything on the PC that I installed. I suggest you make sure PC is in a 'public' area so the kids don't get tempted to follow dodgy links.

Shaun
16-03-2004, 18:20
A hosts file is a good way to block some ads and tracking cookies, but I don't think you'll find something free to run on the PC thats anything like as nannyish as AOL. I'm sure my kids could get around anything on the PC that I installed. I suggest you make sure PC is in a 'public' area so the kids don't get tempted to follow dodgy links.

I've been rooting around the net and found a couple of things, the main one is something called "iprotect" but I'm not too sure how good it is until I go over to theirs next week, but I'll let you all know. Oh and PC is in the lounge but I just don't trust a couple of them :erm:

Any other suggestions are still more than welcome though :)