PDA

View Full Version : Old Amiga games to play on PC

Maggy
12-03-2004, 23:56
Do you remember the Valhalla games from Vulcan Software?You know! The games with Infinity and the little Prince that we played on the old Amiga 1200?You don't.How sad!

You do? Well you can buy them to play on the PC now.

I'm having lots of nostalgic fun.IF anyone is interested take a look at http://www.vulcan.co.uk/english/index.htm

Incog. :)

dilli-theclaw
13-03-2004, 00:00
MMMmmm amiga :) - now that brings back some memorys :)

My fave game on the amiga was Frontier First encounters (elite 2)

My amiga 1200 is currently sitting under my bed...

13-03-2004, 11:29

OMG /me rembers wasting hours playing elite :D

those where the good 'ol days

TheBlueRaja
13-03-2004, 11:34
Haha,
Superfrog, James Pond: ROBOCOD, Stuntcar Racer, Lotus Turbo Esprit, Gods, Sensi Soccer & Kickoff....

Those were the days indeed...

Hehe

13-03-2004, 11:39
Haha,
Superfrog, James Pond: ROBOCOD, Stuntcar Racer, Lotus Turbo Esprit, Gods, Sensi Soccer & Kickoff....

Those were the days indeed...

Hehe
Brutal Sports Football :D now that was a game parents hated, knocking peoples heads in in football games was fun :)

TheBlueRaja
13-03-2004, 11:45
SpeedBall Anyone?

IIiiice Creeeeaam..... :)

Semi On
13-03-2004, 13:05
Haha,

OMG...Sensible Soccer was the best game ever. I used to play it with those clicky Speedking joysticks that fitted in the palm of your hand...ahh the memories.

punky
13-03-2004, 13:53
SpeedBall Anyone?

IIiiice Creeeeaam..... :)

As soon as I started reading this thread I thought of exactly that :) I SO loved that game. So many others, like Turrican, Shadow Of The Beast, Golden Axe, Lemmings, Dune. The old memory needed a jog as I was only about 8 at the time (born in 1981), but this site (http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/Alphabetical.html) is great for reminicing.

If anyones interested in emulation and roms, theres an Amiga emulator available for Windows (here (http://www.winuae.net/)). Little disclaimer, as emulation and roms are technically illegal (assuming the company is still there to sue you for copyright violation), so I provide this information for research and entertainment purposes only ;)

Maggy
13-03-2004, 17:11
As soon as I started reading this thread I thought of exactly that :) I SO loved that game. So many others, like Turrican, Shadow Of The Beast, Golden Axe, Lemmings, Dune. The old memory needed a jog as I was only about 8 at the time (born in 1981), but this site (http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/Alphabetical.html) is great for reminicing.

If anyones interested in emulation and roms, theres an Amiga emulator available for Windows (here (http://www.winuae.net/)). Little disclaimer, as emulation and roms are technically illegal (assuming the company is still there to sue you for copyright violation), so I provide this information for research and entertainment purposes only ;)

Well Vulcan software has produced standalone reworked versions of the Valhalla series especially for the PC so you DON'T need to own the originals. :D It's as funny as it ever was too.To be really nice they allow folk to download the first episode for free.

However I note that those of you who have responded to this thread aspire to the beat'em up style of game so maybe a intricate adventure puzzle game is not for you.Anyway take a look.you maybe pleasantly surprised.

I'm awaiting the 4th Valhalla adventure which hopefully will be a 3d version.

Incog.

Tezcatlipoca
13-03-2004, 21:47

Ah...the Amiga... :)

I had an A1200, & before that an A500. Excellent machines.

Following on from Punky's mention of the WinUAE Amiga emulator, here is the officially licensed Amiga emulator site:

http://www.amigaforever.com/

Amiga Forever provide (well, sell) legal copies of the Kickstart ROMs to use with the free WinUAE emulator.

So then all you need are the games......

www.back2roots.org & others (do a Google) have Amiga disk images to download.

Back2roots even have some legal games which Team17 have given them permission to host & distribute :)

iadom
13-03-2004, 23:30
Didn't want to start another thread on a similar theme, I had a BBC B and this site has several of the games etc from the old days when the 32K BBC B owners looked down their noses at poor BBC A users.

I had a "cloned" copy of Philosophers Quest. I never got very far with this, but if you did I would like a "walkthrough" :)

http://www.topologika.co.uk/index.htm?http://www.topologika.co.uk/links/advlink.htm

BarFly
15-03-2004, 01:27

My amiga 1200 is currently sitting under my bed... You Can find a version of elite frontier that works on Xp here, jusat d/load the ZIP file

http://sharoma.com/frontierverse/files.htm#game

hope it helps

secular
15-03-2004, 05:45
http://www.sega-oldies.com/displaysoftware.php?filter=W

World Cup Italia '90 on the Mega Drive - yeah baby!
Combined with the excellent gens 2.11 emulator = many wasted afternoons.

Jon M
15-03-2004, 08:20
Those were the days.. Speedball(1&2) was the first and only game to give me a blister from playing so much.. (anyone else manage to get a perfect run on SB2? .. no losses for the two seasons). It was so satifying to injure the opposing team so badly that they bring on injured players as subs because they've run out of fit ones :D.. take that! Super Nashwan.

Shadow of the beast 2, Gods, , Bubble bobble, Eye of the beholder, Settlers, KickOff2, Sensi-soccer, SuperCars 1&2, Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge, Skidmarks, Worms, R-Type, and of course the ultimate shooter.. Xenon2 Megablast.. (I can still remember the day I completed that).. the list is endless. *sigh*

Stuartbe
15-03-2004, 08:22
Frontier elite was my favorate game !!!!

It goes to show that fancy graphics and efects dont make a game...Elite has to be one of the most playable games I have ever had a go with :)

I must say that I thought the old bbc micro version was the best... Good old moncrome :D

Jon M
15-03-2004, 08:27
I forgot one of the best ... the bitmap brothers classic "Chaos Engine" ..utter class

Maggy
15-03-2004, 12:01
I forgot one of the best ... the bitmap brothers classic "Chaos Engine" ..utter class

Oh yes I liked that one!also Settlers. Oh and Diggers,Oscar and Beneath a Steel Sky on the Amiga CD32. :)

There was only one level I never completed on Oscar which was the horror one.

Happy days!

Jon M
15-03-2004, 12:09
Robocod :D Magic Pockets :) oh, almost forgot the best 1 - 2 game series ever.. Another World and it's sequel Flashback :tu: ("bro.. bro... watchenda" (from the bit at the beginning where you're in the cage))

erol
15-03-2004, 12:20
Amongst others I played and enjoyed

Railroad Tycoon - a sid mier classic
FIGP - Geoff Crammonds excellent follow up to revs on BBC
Wings - great cinemaware WW1 dogfight game
Oids
Barbarian - always good with a few mates around - hey yah - head chop :)

could go on and on really. ahh the nostalgia :)

Richard M
15-03-2004, 13:19

Superb, the music rocked!
I still have that and play it by using Amiga Forever on the PC.

I still remember when they used Magic Pockets and Sleepwalker on a Saturday morning TV show where you played it over the phone.
Good times... :)

TheBlueRaja
15-03-2004, 17:00
Wouldnt it be great if Commodore released a Handheld Amiga...

Drooool!!!

dilli-theclaw
15-03-2004, 18:12
Frontier elite was my favorate game !!!!

It goes to show that fancy graphics and efects dont make a game...Elite has to be one of the most playable games I have ever had a go with :)

I must say that I thought the old bbc micro version was the best... Good old moncrome :D
MMMmmm - I have 'Elite The New Kind' on Game Boy Advance - Pocket PC and my laptop.... It is a perfect copy of the bbc 'b' version.

Which - by the way - wasn't monochrome - the space section was - but the flight section was colour. Due to some clever mixed mode stuff by braben and bell. :)

I guess I play the original too much :D

Tezcatlipoca
15-03-2004, 18:48

The Bitmap Brothers were great developers. Chaos Engine, Speedball 1 & 2, Xenon 2 Megablast, Gods, Magic Pockets... :)

Other top teams were Bullfrog (Syndicate, Populous, Theme Park, etc), Team17 (Alien Breed, Superfrog, Project X, etc) & Sensible Software (Mega-Lo-Mania, SWOS & so on).

The Amiga was brilliant. It's a shame it died.

Robocod :D Magic Pockets :) oh, almost forgot the best 1 - 2 game series ever.. Another World and it's sequel Flashback :tu: ("bro.. bro... watchenda" (from the bit at the beginning where you're in the cage))

I remember them! LOL, James Pond & Robocod.

And Another World / Flashback....classics.

I still remember when they used Magic Pockets and Sleepwalker on a Saturday morning TV show where you played it over the phone.
Good times... :)

I have vague memories of that. People would phone up & give directions over the phone?

Frontier: Elite 2...Great game. I think there was a Frontier 2, but it didn't come out on the Amiga?

X2: The Threat (PC) is meant to be quite Elite-ish, I might get that. Anyone played it?

Scrubbs
15-03-2004, 19:30
Frontier: Elite 2...Great game. I think there was a Frontier 2, but it didn't come out on the Amiga?

X2: The Threat (PC) is meant to be quite Elite-ish, I might get that. Anyone played it?I have played most elite type games on PC and played X(precursor to X2 and thought it was one of the best
At the mo I am playing Tachyon the fringe
just finished duex 2

Tezcatlipoca
15-03-2004, 19:32
Cool. I may get X2, then.

Tachyon? I remember that. The one with the voice of Bruce "Evil Dead" Campbell? Pretty good game.

Deus Ex 2 - Brilliant game. Not as good as the original, IMO, but still v good.

Scrubbs
15-03-2004, 19:42
Cool. I may get X2, then.

Tachyon? I remember that. The one with the voice of Bruce "Evil Dead" Campbell? Pretty good game.

Deus Ex 2 - Brilliant game. Not as good as the original, IMO, but still v good.
Also tried freelancer but.... I've played better:)

Maggy
15-03-2004, 21:18
Please let's not get too :notopic:

I also remember Liberation on the Amiga.I loved that game.

Scrubbs
15-03-2004, 21:29
:erm: oops....sorry

Maggy
15-03-2004, 23:07
Sokay I don't mind you mentioning old games that wern't for the amiga just lets be clear what is an old game.It's got to be at least 5/4 years old surely to be an old classic?

Incog.

Stu038
16-03-2004, 00:52
My all time favourite has got to be Red Storm Rising, closely followed by UFO Enemy Unknown, though playing it on a 1500 with only 2M RAM used to take forever on the computers round :)
I bought the XCOM set for the PC a while back and was really disappointed in it, the graphics were nowhere near as good, bit like Syndicate, the PC version of that was pretty awful as well :(

spelling edited

Graham
16-03-2004, 04:19

And I'm currently playing Frontier on my PC!!

Mines on top of the wardrobe :(

Richard M
16-03-2004, 13:35
And in related news:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/36285.html

Handheld Amiga anyone? :eek:

Maggy
16-03-2004, 14:32
And in related news:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/36285.html

Handheld Amiga anyone? :eek:

Bah! Too little,too late.

secular
16-03-2004, 17:12
Sokay I don't mind you mentioning old games that wern't for the amiga just lets be clear what is an old game.It's got to be at least 5/4 years old surely to be an old classic?

Incog.
My first game - Milk Race (Mastertronics, 1987) Atari 2600 - Not sure if it's a classic but I have fond memories of it.

ntluser
17-03-2004, 07:39
I too have many fond memories of the Amiga. I had an Amiga 500 plus. The graphics were incredible and the range of games was fabulous.I remember with great affection many of the games already named but would add Cannon Fodder,Megalomania,Tower Assault,Gunship 2000 and Desert Strike. There are of course many others. Pity that Commodore weren't able to keep it all going as the Amiga was a wonderful machine.

17-03-2004, 07:59
I too have many fond memories of the Amiga. I had an Amiga 500 plus. The graphics were incredible and the range of games was fabulous.I remember with great affection many of the games already named but would add Cannon Fodder,Megalomania,Tower Assault,Gunship 2000 and Desert Strike. There are of course many others. Pity that Commodore weren't able to keep it all going as the Amiga was a wonderful machine.
Cannon Fodder and Desert Strike...two games which took up much of my childhood :shocked:

Greendayrocks
26-04-2006, 20:45
The best games on Amiga were Oscar, wizball, diggers, buggy boy, sensible soccer and duleux galactica.:tu:

SnoopZ
26-04-2006, 22:46
Grandprix 1 by Geoff Crammond blew me away.

Druchii
26-04-2006, 23:42
Cannon Fodder and Desert Strike...two games which took up much of my childhood :shocked: Wasn't Cannon Fodder re-released on PS1 many moons ago?

Slyder
27-04-2006, 06:40
And I'm currently playing Frontier on my PC!!

Mines on top of the wardrobe :(

Mines in the loft... First Encounters and Cannon Fodder 1/2 were my games. :)

Downloads
27-04-2006, 06:52
Shadow of the beast 2, Gods, , Bubble bobble, Eye of the beholder, Settlers, KickOff2, Sensi-soccer, SuperCars 1&2, Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge, Skidmarks, Worms, R-Type, and of course the ultimate shooter.. Xenon2 Megablast.. (I can still remember the day I completed that).. the list is endless. *sigh*

Ditto

Yes we were certainly blessed back then. Let me throw another couple of games into the pot. Legend, Syndicate and Rainbow Islands (classic arcade) and you can't forget Heimdall

I have my old Amiga 500 and i went and bought a CD32 (i bought a second CD32 in case that one breaks). I then went and bought a CD32 Pro Module for a huge sum on ebay so that it turns my CD32 into an Amiga 1200.

Yes i am a retro gamers wet dream.

(I also went and bought a MultiMega, but that's for another thread!)

grandmaster
27-04-2006, 09:19

Another world was my favourite!!!

boxboy
28-04-2006, 17:19
Kick Off 2 was the dog's. Anybody send in their goal of the month to the amiga mag's to get it published???

ROM_RAM
07-11-2015, 16:21
I want to play 'Mega lo maniacs (Amiga)' on Windows 10 - but don't know how to set it up. What process do I have to do? Could some one please assist me on this topic.

Regards.

Maggy
07-11-2015, 22:59
Wow I'd forgotten this thread..Amazingly we can still get a fair few of the old games to play if we find the right legit site such as http://www.gog.com/

There's even a few new versions of old games like Broken Sword and even a new Monkey Island.

Also I think dilli is a demon at the new elite..

;)

dilli-theclaw
08-11-2015, 11:55
I use WinUAE for amiga emulation but I also have an amiaga1200 as part of my retro collection so i can stil play it original as it were ;)

Yup I am still heavily into elite - and still play the original on a BBC micro as well as the new version :)

qasdfdsaq
09-11-2015, 08:44
Wow I'd forgotten this thread..Amazingly we can still get a fair few of the old games to play if we find the right legit site such as http://www.gog.com/

There's even a few new versions of old games like Broken Sword and even a new Monkey Island.

Also I think dilli is a demon at the new elite..

;)

I've heard bad things about gog...

Maggy
09-11-2015, 12:07
I've heard bad things about gog...

Not experienced any yet..;)

qasdfdsaq
10-11-2015, 17:23
Not experienced any yet..;)

IIRC a few forums have mentioned them selling stolen CD keys.

Maggy
11-11-2015, 12:22
IIRC a few forums have mentioned them selling stolen CD keys.

Well it's not something I've come across.All my transactions with them are completely legit.As far as I'm concerned they are a reputable website.