PDA

View Full Version : Installation Horrors

oldmotherbrown
12-03-2004, 14:59
Hi, I'm an ancient newbie!!

We signed up for the tv package, installation last Monday. The three NTL boys (only just out of puberty) installed the cabling in the rooms but couldn't complete the job because a car was parked over a drain to which they needed access.

I've left a note on the car but no-one has responded. The council don't want to know and NTL are due to come back on Tuesday.

Any suggestions on how I can get the car moved (or how easy is it to pick up and push a Fiat Punto about 1 Metre?!).

I know NTL installation is not a life or death situation, but it's still annoying:mad: ; I was unaware they used drains to install cables!

Many thanks,

Mo

Ramrod
12-03-2004, 15:41
Get your mates to come round and lift it. Punto's aren't big, you should be able to do it

SMHarman
12-03-2004, 15:44
I doubt it is a drain, but an inspection point for their cable network. If you look at these hatches on the ground some are marked BT (GPO), others CableTel or Videotron, or CATV and others Water.

They need to get to it to get the cable installed around your house hooked into the network. You and a couple of mates can probably either push the car or pick it up and drag it, or hook a tow rope to the eye and pull it fairly easily.

Is the car tax valid. Does it have a local post office stamp on the tax? Have you asked the police if its stolen?

Oh and :welcome: to your first post. Happy lurking and posting.

12-03-2004, 15:44
Hi, I'm an ancient newbie!!

We signed up for the tv package, installation last Monday. The three NTL boys (only just out of puberty) installed the cabling in the rooms but couldn't complete the job because a car was parked over a drain to which they needed access.

I've left a note on the car but no-one has responded. The council don't want to know and NTL are due to come back on Tuesday.

Any suggestions on how I can get the car moved (or how easy is it to pick up and push a Fiat Punto about 1 Metre?!).

I know NTL installation is not a life or death situation, but it's still annoying:mad: ; I was unaware they used drains to install cables!

Many thanks,

Mo
you should be able to move a punto with 5-6 well built fellas, there are other ways to move it but most of them could alow the owner to sue your a$$ (no not getting someone to steal it)

paulyoung666
12-03-2004, 15:50
how about a trolley jack under the rear end , btw :welcome: to the site :)

Shaun
12-03-2004, 15:54
First thing I would do is check the tax disk, the local councils seem to be **** hot on removing non-taxed cars at the moment, if it is taxed, then I'd do as someone said above and ring and see if its stolen. You could also try pinning a note to the window screen, if the owner is staying near by they may notice it and come and move it for you :)

paulyoung666
12-03-2004, 16:00
First thing I would do is check the tax disk, the local councils seem to be **** hot on removing non-taxed cars at the moment, if it is taxed, then I'd do as someone said above and ring and see if its stolen. You could also try pinning a note to the window screen, if the owner is staying near by they may notice it and come and move it for you :)

now that is a good point :tu:

jeffbodkin
12-03-2004, 16:02
Set it on fire and that will get the authorities interested.

paulyoung666
12-03-2004, 16:05

and go straight to jail for arson :dozey:

jeffbodkin
12-03-2004, 16:07
and go straight to jail for arson :dozey:

Don't get caught....

iadom
12-03-2004, 16:08
Get your mates to come round and lift it. Punto's aren't big, you should be able to do itThen you could all have a knees up afterwards.... sorry:)

paulyoung666
12-03-2004, 16:09
Don't get caught....

right o' :(

Shaun
12-03-2004, 16:09

A car was left by joy riders around the corner from us the other week, they burnt it out and took the tax disk, when my landlord phoned the council to find out when they were going to collect it they said that it was going to be weeks until he informed them that it had no tax, they were around that week then. :(

jeffbodkin
12-03-2004, 16:12
A car was left by joy riders around the corner from us the other week, they burnt it out and took the tax disk, when my landlord phoned the council to find out when they were going to collect it they said that it was going to be weeks until he informed them that it had no tax, they were around that week then. :(

Problem solved, sometimes things have to be taken to extremes to get a resolution.

Macca
12-03-2004, 16:28
Smash the window, sit in the drivers seat and make a mobile call. Should find that the police will be there quick sharp. On a more serious note, we get that problem occassionally in my region, generally it is resolved by leaving a note on the windscreen, finding a time in the day when the parking space is empty cos sometimes certain areas always have cars parked at prime times, contacting the council or contacting the police.

oldmotherbrown
12-03-2004, 16:50
Wow! so many suggestions, which one to choose??

Many thanks,

Mo

paulyoung666
12-03-2004, 17:17
Wow! so many suggestions, which one to choose??

Many thanks,

Mo

the trolley jack one ;)

saves ppl's backs for one thing :D :D :D

Halcyon
12-03-2004, 17:22
You could just ask the car if it will be nice and move itself.

Richard M
12-03-2004, 17:32
Sell it to a gypsy for a fiver.

SMHarman
12-03-2004, 17:33
You could just ask the car if it will be nice and move itself.

But it's a Punto, not a White Beetle with Black stripes running front to back. :)

Stuartbe
14-03-2004, 20:52
Ummmm. How come the access point is on the road ??? All the NTL plates I have seen are on the pavement (if you mean the small black ones)

If the car is on your land then you can use " Reasonable Force " to remove it.

paulyoung666
14-03-2004, 21:09
Ummmm. How come the access point is on the road ??? All the NTL plates I have seen are on the pavement (if you mean the small black ones)

If the car is on your land then you can use " Reasonable Force " to remove it.

it isnt , it is on the pavement ;)

ntl customer
14-03-2004, 22:30
How about hiring one of those clamping/recovery vans to lift up the car and getting them to move it further down the road or to the other side?

dragon
14-03-2004, 23:24
it isnt , it is on the pavement ;)
ah if its on the pavement then surely its illigally (cant spell) parked

why not call the counsil and make sure they get a traffic warden to give the owner a fine ;) serve them right for stopping u geting your cable tv :disturbd:

Feenix
16-03-2004, 16:47
talking of installation horrors - you should see (and smell) some of the houses I have to go into :sick:

paulyoung666
16-03-2004, 17:09
talking of installation horrors - you should see (and smell) some of the houses I have to go into :sick:

i can well imagine , i used to fit double glazing , and like you say :sick:

Macca
16-03-2004, 17:13
i can well imagine , i used to fit double glazing , and like you say :sick:

Ditto, I used to be a visiting officer for the Benefits Agency and it was very unpleasant in some areas.