PDA

View Full Version : viewing zip file contents

kchatterway
11-07-2003, 11:48
I have down loaded azip file from the internet using Winzip 81 and i have a problem in trying to view the contents.The help contents with Winzip are double Dutch to me and although i have the file icon and location i have no idea of how to make it "run"
I'm a computer novice so please be gentle with me!

TIA

Ken

danielf
11-07-2003, 11:55
Try sticking the file on your desktop and double click it. That should open the zip file and then you can view it's contents. You may have to select winzip from a list of programs to open the file with.

Chris
11-07-2003, 11:57
You ought to be able to 'open' the zip file to see what's inside it without starting the WinZip application first. Just find where you saved the zip file and double click on it. If all is behaving as it should, WinZip will start, and in the window that appears, below the winzip toolbar, is a white area displaying whatever files are inside the zip file.

To get the file(s) out, all you have to do is click on it (them), hold down the mouse button and drag the icon out ... onto the desktop is always a good place.

altis
11-07-2003, 12:01
Another option:

Download and install a copy of PowerDesk (http://www.v-com.com/product/pd_free_trial.html). This looks like Windows Explorer and will allow you to view inside ZIPs just as though they were directories.

zoombini
11-07-2003, 13:00
If the file is within a folder, using WWindows Explorer, you should be able to select the file, right click and "unzip to whatverethefilename folder" or "unzip to" and you browse to the location etc.

Have a play..

Karl
11-07-2003, 20:05
Windows Commander is able to unpack zip files wityh its built-in zipper.(called Total Commander now)

http://www.ghisler.com/download.htm

kchatterway
12-07-2003, 12:36
Thanks one and all for your time and help.
I'll try the various methods and see what I can come up with.

PS still haven't managed it!

Regards :dunce:

Karl
12-07-2003, 12:42
Hi Kenny,

If the file isn`t sensitive and private, email it to me and I`ll take a look and see if I can make it easier to get the contents for you ? (email address I`ll give in pm, if you pm me)

Defiant
12-07-2003, 14:58
Winrar is the best but to be honest this just sounds like a currupt download or its currupt full stop

basa
14-07-2003, 08:25
Originally posted by Defiant
<snip>.......to be honest this just sounds like a corrupt download or its corrupt full stop

That is likely..but wouldn't WinZip say so ??