PDA

View Full Version : Uploading from a non-NTL IP address

gemma
11-03-2004, 17:40
I am trying to upload to my webspace from a laptop which does not connect through ntl (it uses demon). It has ftp software installed which lets me upload to a whole host of sites, but not to my ntl webspace. It just says "unable to connect" (NOT "unable to resolve" - so it can find it ok, it just won't connect).

I did that thing where you type ftp upload.ntlworld.com at the command prompt and it connects and disconnects immediately.

I figure this could be down to two things - either my laptop firewall is more ferocious than ZoneAlarm on my home/ntl PC (although would I still be able to upload to other sites if this was the case?) OR I can't upload from a non-ntl ip address.

Do you have any idea whether either of these could be the cause - or if it is something else?

Hope you can help

Richard M
11-03-2004, 17:58
You cannot upload from a non-ntl IP address.

paulyoung666
11-03-2004, 18:02

:Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes: , you could have welcomed the poor lass , you are right though :(

:welcome: to the site gemma , hope you enjoy your stay :D :D :D :D

Chris W
11-03-2004, 18:08

apart from metronet ones... which for some extremely bizarre reasons you can... if someone can explain why i will be very impressed :D

paulyoung666
11-03-2004, 18:09
apart from metronet ones... which for some extremely bizarre reasons you can... if someone can explain why i will be very impressed :D

and i will rep them for it :D :D :D :D

gemma
11-03-2004, 18:30
:dunce: Why not?

Richard M
11-03-2004, 18:44
Good question...
Anyone from TS want to comment? :D

MikeyB
11-03-2004, 20:36
:dunce: Why not?
I'd guess for much the same reason you can't use SMTP to send mail from a non NTL connection, to stop others using and abusing it.

I'm pretty sure most ISPs will be the same, Freeserve was (many years ago) and BT is

SMHarman
12-03-2004, 00:20
Demon isn't that would be my worst nightmare if demon did that.

Also most virtual isps obviously dont require you to use their connection.

Chris W
12-03-2004, 00:31
you could always set up your own proxy, or your own ftp server and just bounce the uploads through that...

SMHarman
12-03-2004, 09:40
you could always set up your own proxy, or your own ftp server and just bounce the uploads through that...

It the time comes I'll ask for help.

The SMTP abuse line is a little different though. That is for open relays to abuse; if someone logs onto your ftp server whats the worst they can do - upload inappropriate material - the owner can do that. Abuse bandwidth, also the owner can do that and will have the content deleted if they do.

nate
13-03-2004, 13:08
Also it would be enforced to stop uploads of warez files.
As ntl give quite a bit (more than a lot of ISP's) of webspace, it would be attractive for warez uploaders.

At least if you can only upload from an ntl ip, ntl can keep tabs on who is uploading what (through IP logs) and webspace cannot be hijacked from customers for this purpose.