PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade from 600k to 1mb

bertJ
10-03-2004, 19:48
I'm thinking of upgrading my BB connection from 600k to 1mb. Anyone done this recently and think it's worth the extra £10?
Thanks in advance for comments.

Chris W
10-03-2004, 19:52
I'm thinking of upgrading my BB connection from 600k to 1mb. Anyone done this recently and think it's worth the extra £10?

what do you mainly use the connection for? because that is really what decides whether or not it is worth it :D

bertJ
10-03-2004, 19:57
what do you mainly use the connection for? because that is really what decides whether or not it is worth it :D
Just general web browsing and research with the odd medium size software download.

Chris W
10-03-2004, 20:02
Just general web browsing and research with the odd medium size software download.

hmm... personally i couldn't justify the extra tenner if i was in your position, but then it depends if you have the spare money!

You can either upgrade... or if you want to... you could give the tenner to me :D :pp

paulyoung666
10-03-2004, 20:43

not worth it , tbh i would go down to 150 and put up with the extra wait time :)

Nikko
10-03-2004, 21:32

I did it at the weekend - my old PC was the slowest part of the chain on 600K - you could watch the HD light going mad trying to keep up with cacheing the info received.

Having got a new PC I thought I would try out 1MB and I will be keeping it on for sure. Browsing is instant rather than just fast, updates/downloads whizz and for around the price of a pint a week its worth it to me.

We have 3 machines networked, and my lodger (who games a lot) reports a much cleaner connection and ping.

punky
10-03-2004, 22:20
Anyone wonder why we bother sometimes? ;)

Glad you enjoy your new connection :)

Ramrod
10-03-2004, 22:50
Having got a new PC I thought I would try out 1MB and I will be keeping it on for sure. Browsing is instant rather than just fast, updates/downloads whizz and for around the price of a pint a week its worth it to me.

We have 3 machines networked, and my lodger (who games a lot) reports a much cleaner connection and ping.I'm with you all the way on that :)I'm thinking of upgrading my BB connection from 600k to 1mb. Anyone done this recently and think it's worth the extra £10?
Thanks in advance for comments.Go for it :Yes:

Pyromanic
10-03-2004, 23:47
1mb sounds wise for a shared connection, it'll be harder to saturate, especially with double the upload :)

150k however is crap and is only better compared to 56k

Nikko
11-03-2004, 00:01
I'm with you all the way on that :) Go for it :Yes:

Someone said earlier, if its affordable, go for it. Everyone has different values/needs/budgetary constraints.

Only you can decide - but remember you can upgrade/downgrade on a per month basis. So invest a tenner and see for yourself!

Incidentally I upgraded online, gave it half an hour, rebooted CM/router/PC's in that order and it was all sorted.

DrAwesome
11-03-2004, 00:11

Plus point speed jump from around 70kb/s to around 120kb/s assuming your not on an oversubbed NTL UBR.

peachey
11-03-2004, 00:33
yeah

give it a go
you can always drop back down after a month if you are not happy with the state of affairs

heyyo
11-03-2004, 13:28
can i downgrade my speed online? and whats the link. i remembered i did upgrade my speed online a while back, but i cant find the link

cheers (soz for jumping on this topic)

SMHarman
11-03-2004, 13:35
can i downgrade my speed online? and whats the link. i remembered i did upgrade my speed online a while back, but i cant find the link

The link is on this page...
http://www.ntlhome.com/ntl_internet/broadband_million.asp?cust=ntlworld_producttower

It should be this page, but as I'm not on the NTL network at the mo this may be an error page of sorts.
http://www.ntlworld.com/data-feeds/editoral/microsites/tierMigration/

Graham F
11-03-2004, 13:36

No you can only upgrade online, to downgrade you need to call c/s on 0800 052 2000

HTH
:)

Richard M
11-03-2004, 14:10

http://www.ntlworld.com/data-feeds/editorial/microsites/tierMigration/
(Link is on our homepage)