PDA

View Full Version : Install time?

Jay Wynn
10-03-2004, 15:37
Hello All,
I'm a newbie here on the site and am in need of some information that the CS at NTL wouldn't give. 2 questions.

1) I'm in the process of buying a flat and would like to get BB installed, how much time should I give them to get TV, Cable, and Telephone installed?

2) Are the modems used by NTL now RJ45/Cat 5 or USB?

Thanks you!

br3ach
10-03-2004, 15:38
:welcome: to nthellworld.co.uk

1: I am not sure what you mean? Can you explain a little more? :)

2: The modems are fully compatible with RJ45 and USB

Stuartbe
10-03-2004, 15:40
Hello All,
I'm a newbie here on the site and am in need of some information that the CS at NTL wouldn't give. 2 questions.

1) I'm in the process of buying a flat and would like to get BB installed, how much time should I give them to get TV, Cable, and Telephone installed?

Thanks you!

Hi Jay Wynn and :welcome: to the site :) Good to have you with us !

Not sure about the install date and time.

If you get a STB then you will have ethernet. If you get a cable modem then you will have both USB and Ethernet (cat 5) for connection though you can only use one or the other unless you buy the twin IP service £5.00 a month !

Try to use ethernet if you can - the usb is pants...

HTH.......and again WELCOME to the site :)

GazzaB
10-03-2004, 15:41
:welcome:

1. If you mean how long is install date from requesting service then I would allow at least 3 weeks, also if wayleave is required from neighbours then longer! Also make sure that property is definately serviceable as flats are notoriously difficult for ntl to service unless the whole block has been pre installed (mostly council properties in these cases)

2. Already answered!

Jay Wynn
10-03-2004, 15:58
Thank you very much, answered all of the questions in about 5 minutes and I have been working NTL for at least 2 weeks on this one.

Stuartbe
10-03-2004, 15:59
Thank you very much, answered all of the questions in about 5 minutes and I have been working NTL for at least 2 weeks on this one.

:LOL: 2 weeks !!!!

Happy to help you - you are most welcome :)

Neil
10-03-2004, 16:23
Hello All,

Thanks you!

Have you checked to make sure that you can get ntl's services? :Yikes:

SMHarman
10-03-2004, 17:00
What type of flat, conversion house or purpose built block. What level is your flat on Ground floor? 20th floor?

If you have an install date, then it takes I would say about 90 minutes for simple install, dig up the garden to run the cable to the building and through the wall, connect point and plug in STB/Phone and test. If the BB is on a second point that will add time also. Whoever is around would be good to leave a morning / afternoon free to be there for such a job.

wheeliebin
10-03-2004, 17:07
If you get a STB then you will have ethernet.

You can also have a USB connection if you use a Set top too.

Stuartbe
10-03-2004, 17:21
You can also have a USB connection if you use a Set top too.

I know that m8 - I was only sugesting ethernet as mose people have there STB in the living room and there pc in the bedroom and as any tech will tell you - running usb 20m+ is a bad idea as you would have to plug 4 active 5m usb cables together !

wheeliebin
10-03-2004, 17:27
I know that m8 - I was only sugesting ethernet as mose people have there STB in the living room and there pc in the bedroom and as any tech will tell you - running usb 20m+ is a bad idea as you would have to plug 4 active 5m usb cables together !

It wouldnt be a 20M USB lead. I am an NTL network enginneer and have done hundreds of Broadband installs in my time. It is cat 5 twisted pair from the set top ( as the set top only has an RJ45 socket) to a small blue USB dongle which connects to the PC.

Maybe thats why you said STB is ethernet only ?
Sorry i was merely trying to say that you still have the option to use USB even though you are a STB user regardless of distance ( within CAT5 range of course)from the STB

SMHarman
10-03-2004, 17:27
Not to mention expensive. £14 each at Amazon thats a £56 extension lead!

wheeliebin
10-03-2004, 17:28
Not to mention expensive. £14 each at Amazon thats a £56 extension lead!
see post above

Stuartbe
10-03-2004, 17:34
see post above

Thats o.k. for anyone that does not have ethernet (90% of new pc's do) - Why the heck would someone want to use a naffy ethernet to usb adaptor if they had no choice - thats like buying a lexus and putting 2 stroke oil in :)

So the STB only has ethernet then ? :D

wheeliebin
10-03-2004, 17:50
Thats o.k. for anyone that does not have ethernet (90% of new pc's do) - Why the heck would someone want to use a naffy ethernet to usb adaptor if they had no choice - thats like buying a lexus and putting 2 stroke oil in :)

So the STB only has ethernet then ? :D

Ok sorry for trying to be of help.

I was merely pointing out that you have both options wether it's STB or SACM.

Meanwhile you were under the impression that having USB would mean adding something quite different. If your giving out info i suggest that you know what your talkiing about yourself.

I can certainly say that not 90% of customers that i ever installed had both options, hey but WTF do i know ????

Tech
10-03-2004, 19:14
:LOL: not quite stu! Dont you know about the dongle??? :dunce:

Stuartbe
10-03-2004, 19:19
Meanwhile you were under the impression that having USB would mean adding something quite different. If your giving out info i suggest that you know what your talkiing about yourself.

???? Sorry - I dont understand what you are saying here ?????

Giving out the wrong info ? Can you just clarify where I did that please.

Perhaps you should take a chil pill and stop jumping to the wrong conclusions. I was trying to point out that ethernet is far better than usb and that most customers have ethernet cards on there pc systems.

I did not say that they dont have both options anwhere. I was asked if the set top box had usb and it does not ! That option as you have kindly explained is done via an adaptor and not on the STB...

Perhaps you should think twice before jumping to the conclusion that I was having a go at you and then maybe you would have seen the post in the light hearted way that it was intended.

Should you wish to doubt the level of my technical skill then that is of course your perogative.

Stuartbe
10-03-2004, 19:21
:LOL: not quite stu! Dont you know about the dongle??? :dunce:

I did know about it - I was just answering a question !

:welcome: to the site BTW tech :)

wheeliebin
10-03-2004, 19:41
???? Sorry - I dont understand what you are saying here ?????

Giving out the wrong info ? Can you just clarify where I did that please.

Well Stu you seem to have had the impression that using USB via a stb would involve using USB leads linked together which simply isnt true. For you to believe this you must of thought that you would run a USB lead from the STB to the PC which again isnt true. This would definately be very confusing for somone who was looking on the site for help on installing their broadband. Especially as some versions of STB have a USB port on the back which has never been utilised for any purpose by ntl.

Im not trying to make an issue of it, i simply cleared up what i thought was a post that was little bit misleading. Misleading in that you said that USB and ethernet were available if you had a sacm and only ethernet if you had a STB. I attempted to explain that USB was also available via a dongle for Set top box. You then jumped down my throat ( thats the impression i got anyway) saying that you knew this but people who had PC's upstairs wouldnt want to link USB leads together.

You then went on to try and lecture me about the merits of USB over ethernet card (which wasnt my point really) as if i was some numpty.

If your comments were intended in a light hearted way then yes i must have mis-understood them. I apologise if that is the case.

But all i did was state that USB was available as an option on STB too.
I would always agree that an Ethernet card is the preferred method of installing NTL broadband (i even state this on my site) but for many many many people USB is their preferred choice and for the majority USB is a perfectly good choice.

I am not trying to challenge your knowledge , i simply supplied more information to the fore. Which is what this board is supposed to be about.
:(

Stuartbe
10-03-2004, 19:46
<snip>

Fair enough.... perhaps we got off on the wrong foot... I was trying to point out that the usb was pants and was trying to steer the newbe to using ethernet as we both know its the best option.

My post was not meant to be insulting or derogatory towards you and apologies if it came out that way...

:Peaceman: Chuck the peace pipe over and we will start again :)

wheeliebin
10-03-2004, 19:49
Fair enough.... perhaps we got off on the wrong foot... I was trying to point out that the usb was pants and was trying to steer the newbe to using ethernet as we both know its the best option.

My post was not meant to be insulting or derogatory towards you and apologies if it came out that way...

:Peaceman: Chuck the peace pipe over and we will start again :)

Fair do's Mate

:tu:

All we are saying ......is give peace a chance :D

paulyoung666
10-03-2004, 20:00
wow that was nearly toys out of the pram time :D :D :D :D , if i may suggest , it is sometimes better to take a step back and think before posting , anyway nice to see you have both kissed and made up :D :D :D :D , and anyway ethernet is better than usb anyday :D :D , nicely back on topic i reckon :D :D :D