PDA

View Full Version : BB Support!!

nevets
10-07-2003, 17:01
Can anybody help me with this message I received from Tech Support please?

This message was undeliverable due to the following reason:

The user(s) account is temporarily over quota.

<broadbandsupport@ntlworld.com>

Please reply to postmaster@ntlworld.com
if you feel this message to be in error

Martin
10-07-2003, 17:03
It means that users inbox is full.:)

nevets
10-07-2003, 17:11
Hi Martin.Does that mean I have to submit my message again
and hope that it ends up in a box that is not full??

Martin
10-07-2003, 17:17
Your message didn't get delivered so you will have to send it again. But the user you are sending to will have to download his mail so your messge can get to his/her inbox.:)

nevets
10-07-2003, 17:21
Thank You very much.

While I am on can you tell me how I could of attached the e-mail sent to me with my question. When I tried to attach it directly, a message on the screen said it was not jpeg etc.
Can the e-mail be converted please?

Martin
10-07-2003, 17:27
No problem:)

You mean the txt file that accompanies the undelivered message? If it is save the attachment to your Hard Disk somewhere you can find it, then start a new message and on the File Menu select Insert then File Attachment.:)

nevets
10-07-2003, 17:40
Top man. I am eternally grateful.

Russ
10-07-2003, 18:37
It has to be said however that the number of people who have recieved a satisfactory response from NTL via email appears to be alarmingly low.....but do let us know how it goes :)

ntlrebel
10-07-2003, 18:42
If you send an email with an attachment, the attachment will not be opened. So lets say that you send a screen shot to show what the problem is, they will not be able to know, because they won't open the attatchment.:p

Martin
10-07-2003, 19:03
Hee hee I never noticed that the email was to NTL Support.;) I have emailed them a couple of times and got no responce. Better you try and solve your prob here.:)

nevets
16-07-2003, 10:52
Martin
I will take you up on your offer.
Here goes, I currently connect to the internet via 150k BB, my computer is powered up 24/7, I was advised when purchased to leave it on all the time, less things to go wrong. So can I leave Internet Explorer, and Outlook Express open 24/7, rather than shutting them down every time I come off the internet please?
I am running Norton Anti-Virus and Norton Firewall.

Regards

Chris
16-07-2003, 11:13
Originally posted by nevets
Martin
I will take you up on your offer.
Here goes, I currently connect to the internet via 150k BB, my computer is powered up 24/7, I was advised when purchased to leave it on all the time, less things to go wrong. So can I leave Internet Explorer, and Outlook Express open 24/7, rather than shutting them down every time I come off the internet please?
I am running Norton Anti-Virus and Norton Firewall.

Regards

If your computer is switched on and connected to an active cable modem, it is connected to the internet whether or not IE or Outlook are actually running. If your firewall and Anti-Virus are up-to-date and working, it should make no difference whether you leave the programs running or shut them down. If you get a lot of email (I get 80 or more a day thanks mainly to notifications from this forum!) leaving Outlook running will mean you won't have to sit and wait for loads of mails to download all at once. Leave them running by all means, but I'm curious why you were advised there would be fewer problems if you never shut your PC down?

nevets
16-07-2003, 11:36
Thanks Towny.
I will leave everything running as you say you dont have to wait for everything to download.
When I bought my computer the owner of the shop claimed that he leaves his computer on 24/7 because the powering up then down of the system will have an adverse effect on the components in the tower. If a joint dries out because the system has cooled down then has to heat up, that is the time you have problems. Sounds to me like you might have opened another topic for discussion here. Any body with any views??

SMHarman
16-07-2003, 12:03
This was covered on .com last week you may want to search there.

The manufacturers contend that this is no longer a problem. The big concern is environmental. Leaving the tower on 25/7 is like leaving a 40w lightbulb on 24/7

If you have a CRT screen and that does not go into powersave (not screensave) then that is the same as leaving a 100w bulb on 24/7.

Just adds to you leccy bill and the environmental considerations that go to making that leccy.

I leave my PC on 24/7 but the screen goes into power save after 15mins of inactivity.

nevets
16-07-2003, 22:33
Originally posted by SMHarman
This was covered on .com last week you may want to search there.

The manufacturers contend that this is no longer a problem. The big concern is environmental. Leaving the tower on 25/7 is like leaving a 40w lightbulb on 24/7

If you have a CRT screen and that does not go into powersave (not screensave) then that is the same as leaving a 100w bulb on 24/7.

Just adds to you leccy bill and the environmental considerations that go to making that leccy.

I leave my PC on 24/7 but the screen goes into power save after 15mins of inactivity. Yes mine too goes to power save after 5 mins, I think my monitor is Energy star compliant.
So leaving the tower powered up is not a bad thing then? apart from the extra leccy.

Jarandco
16-07-2003, 23:04
Originally posted by Russ D
It has to be said however that the number of people who have recieved a satisfactory response from NTL via email appears to be alarmingly low.....but do let us know how it goes :)

Yes very true i never received a reply from ntl and i sent an email last november!

Lord Nikon
16-07-2003, 23:49
none of my machines are EVER shut down (apart from during hardware upgrades)

Never had a problem...

ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â«ÃƒÆ ’‚« My Puter Stats ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â»ÃƒÆ ’‚» OS-[Windows 2000 Professional, Service Pack 4 (5.0 - 2195)]- Up Time-[1wk 4days 9hrs 6mins 32secs]- CPU-[1-Intel Pentium III (Cu), 996MHz, 256KB (57% Load)]- Memory-[Usage: 326/511MB (63.80%)]- Video Card-[Intel 810 Accelerator & NVidia TNT2 32Mb]- Resolution-[1280 x 1024]- Total Space Free-[126.85Gb out of 358.06Gb]- «

Chris
17-07-2003, 09:45
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
none of my machines are EVER shut down (apart from during hardware upgrades)

Never had a problem...

ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â«ÃƒÆ ’‚« My Puter Stats ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â»ÃƒÆ ’‚» OS-[Windows 2000 Professional,

Win2k is very stable, I have it at work and having suffered Win 98 for 2 years it's a dream ... I switch it on Monday morning and it stays on until Friday evening.

Jarandco
17-07-2003, 15:33
Originally posted by towny
Win2k is very stable, I have it at work and having suffered Win 98 for 2 years it's a dream ... I switch it on Monday morning and it stays on until Friday evening.

hmmm maybe i should get rid of 98 it has caused me a few problems lately!:mad:

Chris
17-07-2003, 15:37
Originally posted by Jarandco
hmmm maybe i should get rid of 98 it has caused me a few problems lately!:mad:

/me can't resist ...

Junk your PC and get a Mac ... if you want a stable OS that's beautiful to play with, you can't beat Mac OS X 10.2...

/trying to be pragmatic

For sure, I had no end of trouble with Windows 98. It was a constant pain. It remains so for those poor saps here in the office who still have to use it. If you're sticking with Window$ then I can heartily recommend w2k, but perhaps you ought to look to M$'s more up to date stuff. I don't use XP apart from occasionally through Virtual PC on my Mac tho', so I'm not best placed to say how good it is.

Jarandco
17-07-2003, 15:50
i believe xp is fine and works much better than 98 - need a new pc really - i dontmind macs but i still play pc games!

jemnery
18-07-2003, 11:07
So leaving the tower powered up is not a bad thing then? apart from the extra leccy.

It's worth a reboot from time to time. Some software (including Windows itself, occasionally), "leak" memory. This means they allocate a chunk of system RAM for a task and forget to release it.

This is much less of a problem than it used to be (and in the past a Windows machine most likely wouldn't stay up for 24 hours anyway), but the odd reboot is the most certain thing to give you a clean sheet as far as RAM is concerned.

The "powering up & down is bad for electronics" argument is true, but your PC contains mechanical devices too, such as fans in the case and PSU, and the hard disks, whose "mean time before failure" (MTBF) is dependent on running time. Also, modern processors run quite hot. So, if you're going to be away for a while, I reckon it's worth shutting down the PC.

nevets
18-07-2003, 22:06
Originally posted by jemnery
It's worth a reboot from time to time. Some software (including Windows itself, occasionally), "leak" memory. This means they allocate a chunk of system RAM for a task and forget to release it.

This is much less of a problem than it used to be (and in the past a Windows machine most likely wouldn't stay up for 24 hours anyway), but the odd reboot is the most certain thing to give you a clean sheet as far as RAM is concerned.

The "powering up & down is bad for electronics" argument is true, but your PC contains mechanical devices too, such as fans in the case and PSU, and the hard disks, whose "mean time before failure" (MTBF) is dependent on running time. Also, modern processors run quite hot. So, if you're going to be away for a while, I reckon it's worth shutting down the PC. I thought I had it clear in my mind that I was o.k. to leave my tower on. Now you have confused me, (which is not a difficult task) How long is a while in your estimation?

Caspar
18-07-2003, 22:22
I thought I had it clear in my mind that I was o.k. to leave my tower on. Now you have confused me, (which is not a difficult task) How long is a while in your estimation?

I reboot my machines once a week :)

...but as jemnery says about memory leaks, or unclaimed memory, if you are on NT/Win2k/2k3/XP then reboot weekly...if you're still on Win98/ME then reboot every couple of days.

I must stress this is based on experience/ personal preference/ habit and something to do while my tea is cooking :p

HornetUK
18-07-2003, 23:14
I turn my tower off every night because my PC is only on for a couple of hours a night. Am I damaging it by turning it on / off every day?

Russ
19-07-2003, 00:39
No.

Lord Nikon
25-07-2003, 02:23
Actually that is a matter of contention Russ...

The only thing about powering down a pc is the fans / hard drive motors...

The startup current drawn and torque involved in starting them turning is higher than leaving them running, therefore if a hard drive is going to fail then it does so as you turn it on, the same way that a light bulb blows as you turn it on normally as opposed to blowing while it is in use.

Russ
25-07-2003, 07:47
Well technically you are right, plus I believe there was a study in to Intel chips and how many times they can have power surging through them which showed there was a theoretical limit but in reality it was agreed the risk was low.

If I can find a link for the study I'll put it on here.

SMHarman
25-07-2003, 09:03
Originally posted by HornetUK
I turn my tower off every night because my PC is only on for a couple of hours a night. Am I damaging it by turning it on / off every day?

If you turned it off every time you went to make a coffee that would be different (but then again maybe not).

It would also be damn annoying.

TigaSefi
25-07-2003, 11:56
Leccy, leccy, leccy, I am so leccy in love :)