PDA

View Full Version : gobbledegook

mickmc
07-03-2004, 10:46
Can someone please help me. yesterday I ran a program "System Mechanic" on my pc and after a rebootall of the charcters on my pc are gobbledegook. If I type in IE it shows up as rubbish but does take me to the site I requested so i guess it must some weird language. But given that all of my context menus are in the same language I havnt got a clue what to do. System restore is turned off. Please dont be a complete reinstall

Stuartbe
07-03-2004, 10:51
Type - qwerty on the keyboard and post back the charecters you get m8...

Could be the keyboard language drivers are stuffed !

mickmc
07-03-2004, 10:52
qwerty

mickmc
07-03-2004, 10:53
the key board works ok in the forum but not on the workstation

Stuartbe
07-03-2004, 10:54
I am sure its not a keyboard fault (there is little to go wrong in a keybord) it will be the workstation itself.. You need to plug the keyboard into the affected pc. Type qwerty on the affected pc and post the results.

Alanmelon
07-03-2004, 11:23
I think he means that whilst his typing appears strange on the local PC, it shows up here ok. Assuming you're using XP,
Try;
1) Start>Control Panel>Regional and Language Options (looks like a globe). Check that all the drop down boxes there read English (United Kingdom). On the 'Languages' tab (middle one) there is a button 'Details'. Click on this and do the same. You may need to remove languages from the box at the bottom (highlight and click the middle (Remove) button to the right)
2) Right click on the Taskbar, select the top item (toolbars>), then Language Bar (4th? one down) This will give you a little box on the taskbar with 2 letters in it, click on this and post what it says next to the tick, again it should read English (United Kingdom)

mickmc
07-03-2004, 11:52
Please see attached screen shot for more info. I know that it is not a keyboard fault, I think it more likely to be a config prob, but hey what do i know?

Alanmelon
07-03-2004, 15:12
Please see attached screen shot for more info. I know that it is not a keyboard fault, I think it more likely to be a config prob, but hey what do i know?
Looks very much like the display you get when viewing a foreign web page without the language packs installed. Probably a language settings problem, any luck yet?

Stuartbe
07-03-2004, 15:18

O.K. - Try this......

Go into the keyboard option in control panel and add english united states.
The do the same with regeonal options so that all the options are english US...Remove any entried related to english UK

Reboot the pc and then reverse the proccess.

Change everything back to english uk and remove all english us options. This should prompt the system to reload the english u.k. language packs.

+ Check for viruses and spyware !

HTH