PDA

View Full Version : Anyone surprised?

Russ
10-07-2003, 14:29
Not wishing to sound cynical, but can anyone honestly say this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3055515.stm) comes as any surprise?

peterska2
10-07-2003, 14:31
sounds about right there to me too Russ

timewarrior2001
10-07-2003, 14:34
Doesnt surprise me at all.
I always thought something was odd about that whole incident.

As for the rescue, well your talking about a countries armed forces that cannot tell Allied and enemy targets apart. Even with the official recognition system in place. Need I say anymore?

gary_580
10-07-2003, 14:34
Says her unit took a wrong turn. I didnt realise until now that she was driving. hehehehe

Mark W
10-07-2003, 14:35
lol, yea, i posted that on .com a while ago - i remember when i first saw that on the news my quizzical/cynical eyebrow was in danger of going through the roof....

wag the dog made real.....:erm:

read michael moores 'Stupid White Men' if you really want to build a rage about how underhand and conniving the govt of the dearly beloved US of A really is :mad:

basa
10-07-2003, 14:37
From BBC News:

"Doctors say she has no recollection of her capture and probably never will."

How convenient !!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Stuart
10-07-2003, 14:37
Does sound about right. Seems to me that anyone fighting against the American Army is safe. Anyone fighting alongside them is in danger...

The thing is, at the time, the Americans made no official statement. Cleverly, they did not tell the truth, but did not lie either..

Stuart
10-07-2003, 14:38
Originally posted by basa
How convenient !!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yeah, but it is quite normal in times of extreme stress..

Russ
10-07-2003, 14:39
Originally posted by scastle
Yeah, but it is quite normal in times of extreme stress..

...or extreme BS ;) :D

gary_580
10-07-2003, 14:41
Does sound about right. Seems to me that anyone fighting against the American Army is safe. Anyone fighting alongside them is in danger...

The thing is, at the time, the Americans made no official statement. Cleverly, they did not tell the truth, but did not lie either..

I guess at the end of the day why did it need reporting? Big lesson to be learnt from Iraq is that its not that good an idea to have the media on the front line. Ok its nice to know and possibly interesting but do we really really need that amount of detail?

peterska2
Originally posted by Russ D

Now that sounds more like it ;)

Chris
I don't know who I'm more disgusted with, the Pentagon for failing to correct the misleading idea that Lynch had been shot, or the media for being so desparate for a story that they took leave of their basic training - check, check and check again.

Just like the story of the British squaddie whose kevlar helmet apparently stopped him getting shot through the head four times. The BBC even did a report from the front lawn of his parents' house.

Then only afterwards was it revealed he wasn't even wearing the helmet when it got shot up ...

Stuart
10-07-2003, 14:48
Originally posted by towny
I don't know who I'm more disgusted with, the Pentagon for failing to correct the misleading idea that Lynch had been shot, or the media for being so desparate for a story that they took leave of their basic training - check, check and check again.

According to Private Eye, at some points, the BBC were recieving so much information that they did not have enough journalists to check the story. The decided to run with these stories, even though they had only been checked by the studio technical staff.. News 24 apparently suffered quite badly with this.

I remember one time when ITV news showed a Baghdad street for 45 minutes because they thought something would happen there. Don't know who was more stupid, them for showing or me for watching...

Stuart
10-07-2003, 14:50

When people have serious accidents. they can forget the whole thing. I doubt that happened in this case, but it is possible...

Russ
10-07-2003, 14:51
When people have serious accidents. they can forget the whole thing.

And when Hollywood needs a new summer blockbuster :D

Martin
10-07-2003, 14:52
In this day and age we are told to wait before we pass judgement, but the Pentagon didn't really say at the time and did go a little way to suggest it was Iraq soldiers. Hmmm Bloody typical.

Stuart
10-07-2003, 14:55
And when Hollywood needs a new summer blockbuster :D

You cynic you...

Russ
10-07-2003, 14:57
Not sure if this is true but I heard they are already lining up Cameron Diaz to play Private Lynch....

timewarrior2001
10-07-2003, 15:01
What about Dubya playing Cleetus her inbred half brother. A simple boy touched by the suffering of his sisters driving?

Sounds like a hollywood chick flickto me

kronas
10-07-2003, 15:25
the problem with goverments is they have to put spin on things they falsefy intelligence and documents to suit them and we go and believe them its not suprising when people like me question there motives and actions all the time :rolleyes:

ntluser
10-07-2003, 15:41
There's probably no need for a Blockbuster. It'll probably turn out in 20 years time that there really wasn't a war in Iraq..it was just documentary fiction. Hollywood using all its special effects to give the impression of a war that was probably filmed in Nevada.

Reminds me of the 'Capricorn One' film, which examined the premise that the moon landings never really took place but were faked.

Or maybe we'll get Dubya and Tony stepping out of a shower together Dallas style to announce it was all a dream.

:)