PDA

View Full Version : NTHell or what

ash_veryfedup
06-03-2004, 11:17
Yesterday, i discovered that i had been billed 14.99 for the 64k always on/telephone line deal that i originally signed up for many moons ago with NTHell. Like many others i was upgraded to 128k/telephone thence to 150k "broadband". In the heat of last summer i distinctly asked the gits to cancel all contracts ezxcept the 150k as i was mistakedly billed for my neighbour, 2 doors away.
I have never used the telephone service. Not even a phone is connected to the socket.
So now i am billed 17.99 AND 14.99 for the 150k and 64k/telephone for the last 6 months. NTL policy is to not send any bills if the DDebit is the same for 4-6 moths. So they gits were happly taking money from my account.
They will not be refunding the tlephone line costs and now they will kill the telephone line next month.
So, here is a warning to unsuspecting customers..
-A

br3ach
06-03-2004, 11:20
Check your bank statements...

A bit late now, but always be sure after cancelling anythign with anyone to check the bank statements straight away, and even to be sure contact the bank and cancel the DD with them also...

EDIT: Oh and :welcome: to nthellworld :)

paulyoung666
06-03-2004, 11:21
hi and :welcome: to the site , sorry to say but unless you have the proof , they aint gonna do owt about it , sorry :(

MovedGoalPosts
06-03-2004, 12:22
This just goes to demonstrate that call centres have their uses and a lot of limitations. Any change to contract needs to be recorded in writing. Email will do according to ntl.

ash_veryfedup
07-03-2004, 22:30
I agree, gedding it in writing is probably a failsafe. I have learned a lesson to last me for good now.
The question that occured to me is that if i was to be billed constantly, say (godforbid) £1000/month, for 6 months they will not inform you in writing from that period onwards, its their policy, even the the call centre person said it seemed ludicrous.

ian@huth
07-03-2004, 23:41
Hi ash_verfedup and welcome. I would still keep having a go at them over this. They cannot charge you for two different cable modem services at the same time when they know that you only have one cable modem. They can also check to see that you have not used the telephone line.

I am surprised that the NTL associates posting have not picked up on this glaring erorr made by NTL and offed to help or given you advice as to how to persue the matter.

I would also write to your bank and tell them that you have just noticed the error made by NTL in charging and ask them to refund the charges under the direct debit guarantee.

MovedGoalPosts
07-03-2004, 23:43
It's probably worth putting your complaint to ntl in writing that the service was cancelled by phone. If you want you can also follow that up with a complaint to Ofcom. You have nothing to loose.

It may also be worth checking with your bank on the exact terms of Direct Debit payments. If the bill is variable, which it must be for telephone services (even if you haven't made phone calls), the beneficiary has I believe to give you porper notice, in advance, of the amount due and when it wil be taken from your acount. Thus failure to give you notice, unless they have actually told you you wont get further bills unless the amount changes, is possibly a breach of the guarantee.