PDA

View Full Version : Dell Computers

meld51
10-07-2003, 06:45
Hello folks,

I'm thinking of buying a Dell computer for my mum! Has anyone any experiences, good or bad, of buying over the web from Dell?

My mum is not all that computer aware ans she does not live very close to me and so I am looking for an easy trouble free experience.

matty4donna
10-07-2003, 07:18
I think you will find that Dell are the best and most competent computer manufacturer in the world at the moment. And their support is excellent. I myself am a computer engineer and i see so many customers who have had bad experiences with the likes of Time and Packard Bell etc but very very rare is it i ever see a customer with a bad experience with Dell.

I think the will probably the best solution for a hassle free experience. ;)

Gogogo
10-07-2003, 08:39
Consider Evesham, compare what packages Dell offer with Evesham. Evesham hardware excellent.

:wavey:

kbcs6dpm
10-07-2003, 08:58
I have had a Dell now for 2 years, with no problems. Very good quality and service. Bit pricey though. But you get what you pay for.

Nemesis
10-07-2003, 09:25
Have bought Dell PC's for Office environment. Very good sales and goos support if anything goes wrong. Bit expensive.

Have got Evesham at home, again very good, support very good, and a bit cheaper.

Only problem with Dell was buying an external Non Dell CDRW
HUGE problems trying to get them to replace. If it's branded DELL then no probs.

Martin
10-07-2003, 09:57
I would say Dell are a brill company and never had any trouble with them.:)

Undisputedtruth
10-07-2003, 11:25
That lying, deceiving American company - no NTL but Dell. Well NTL as well. Seems like I have a problem with American owned companies!

I've ordered a laptop last week, spent a few weeks deciding on the right laptop and to get the best possible deals. Try and use affiliates to get the cheapest price. Speaking directly to DELL may not mean you'll be getting the cheapest price. I've saved 10% and free deiver (£57) on top of any special offers by Dell by using a portal through AOL. Sadly the portal has now ended.

Dell charges £117.50 for 256mb of memory for system upgrades. It might be cheaper to shop around. Crucial memory charges £23 + vat and Kingston Technology charges £40 inc vat + posting. The KT memory is the exact make (according to KT) as that supplied by DELL. The memory upgrade on Dell parts is £50.

Don't speak to sales on Wednesday night as a lot of the sales staff are under a lot of pressure of customers taking advantage on the final day of special offers.

Make sure you check any sales invoice for any errors. Once the computer has been shipped out there is very little you can do about it. There is also a very good DELL forum on dell.com which is an excellent source of information. Generally, the staff are not bad at all, though the best source of information is the DELL forum. I am very confident I bought the best possible laptop for the money, much cheaper than Evesham.

Delivery was a bit of a problem. I took a day of work yesterday. Unfortanately, the girl from Walsh Western carriers did not register the delivery date on the system. I complained to Dell and they arranged an evening delivery between 6pm and 10pm. The Dell order watch is good.

If you're happy with the standards of NTL customer services then you're going to be more than happy with Dell.

Oh yeah, one more thing, make sure you tick the no box if the computer is not going to be used for "Weapons of mass destruction" on the sales section of the website. Apparently it is a FBI thing!

Good luck :)

meld51
10-07-2003, 18:04
Thanks folks.....really positive stuff......wheres the catch. Anyway must dash....today is the last day of a particular deal I'm interested in so here goes!.......................I'll post the outcome.

Undisputedtruth
10-07-2003, 19:13
My Dell laptop has arrived. I'm well please with my purchase. Well done Dell.

Theodoric
10-07-2003, 19:35
Originally posted by matty4donna
I think you will find that Dell are the best and most competent computer manufacturer in the world at the moment. And their support is excellent. I myself am a computer engineer and i see so many customers who have had bad experiences with the likes of Time and Packard Bell etc but very very rare is it i ever see a customer with a bad experience with Dell.

I think the will probably the best solution for a hassle free experience. ;)
I've had a Dell for a year and a half. In the main it's worked ok.

Their support is mixed. They'll get there in the end, but you have to perservere. I've had 3 problems.

As I've just posted elsewhere, when the floppy drive went tits up, I was put through to a help desk in India. I really had to perservere (polite, but firm, is what I hope I was) before they finally agreed to get an engineer out to change it: at the end they did it.

I also had a problem with the CD Drive. However, I think that this was a problem with the Roxio software rather than I hardware problem. I finally solved it by downloading an updated driver from the Roxio site. I tried the email help line at Dell and the first thing they do is send you an automated reply based on keywords in your message; mine was 10 pages long covering every possible problem with a CD drive. Again, you have to perservere.

My biggest problem was a major crash; BSOD with all the trimmings. Dell's response was a little worrying. Firstly, I discovered that despite paying for a 3 year guarantee, this did not cover software problems (30 days only apparently), so you have to pay £20 up front before they'll talk to you. Secondly they made no attempt to find out the source of the problem. It was simply reformat the hard drive and re-install Windows XP. For £20, I'd have expected a little more effort.

Shaun
10-07-2003, 19:39
I personaly cant speak highly enough of dell, they are so friendly and efficent I almost couldn't beleve it. I spent a long time making sure I got the best PC for the money.

The computer is well built, made with top quality components, and their customer service is second to none IMHO. They can be a little bit more expencive than the others but you get what you pay for.

Dell could show most companys a thing or two about how to run a fast efficent service.

Keep it up Dell:tu:

matty4donna
11-07-2003, 08:46
It looks like Dell could be the one then? :)

Defiant
11-07-2003, 09:00
The company I work for has Dell machine and their reliable and robust

Lord Nikon
11-07-2003, 09:00
Originally posted by matty4donna
It looks like Dell could be the one then? :)

When you are looking at dell also don't forget to check out the Dell Axim X5 PDA they sell... VERY nice spec

SMHarman
11-07-2003, 10:24
As someone else said check the spec they are selling you to the spec of the deal on offer if you are taking a newspaper advertised deal.

The one my father bought they were marketing with a fast 7200 rpm HDD. The quote spec showed it with a 5400 disk. A fax of the advert (prior to build / payment) sorted it though.

timewarrior2001
11-07-2003, 10:51
I like Dell, its the only manufacturer that I would recomend back in 2000. The place I worked for had a Dell server. Was a P3 600. It ran like a dream. We had a problem with the DAT backup device in the fact the dat tape kept getting stuck in the drive. They replaced it without any hassle.

Only other manufacturer I would now recomend is Compaq, purely because I like working inside compaq cases.

matty4donna
11-07-2003, 10:54
Id recommend HP/Compaq last year but i have had to contact them regarding a few faulty printers this year and they have not been the most helpful and do not seem as competent anymore plus they send you round the different departments in their call centres like nobodys business.

I remember a time when if you had a fault with a HP product one fone call to support and they would replace it the very next day via courier even if it was with a refubished product :)

meld51
11-07-2003, 14:28
Call me slow....
I phoned them last night about a deal in the Sunday Times. A dimension 2400 for £299+va t and free delivery (I only need a simple PC). I was told that the deal was closed already. They move fast!

Also the sales guy was too pushy for my liking. He tried everything to try and close the deal, but I wanted to think some more.

He said he would send me an email quote but none arrived. Now its almost 24 hr later and still no quote.

So I'm a bit put off by their sales manner, especially since you don't get to see the goods first.

Never mind, I still think that the machines are good, plain stuff so I will probably persevere.....

The_real_dj
11-07-2003, 18:20
at work all new machines are dell we get about 100-200 delivered every month and really have any problems with them.

And if there are any problems they are usually sorted next day by one of there on site engineers.

Also all of our file servers are dell systems and we have very few problems with them as well!!!

Cheers

DJ

Karl
11-07-2003, 20:10
In several years, the negative feedback I have heard about Dell systems could be wrote on a postage stamp.

Excellent systems and excellent pedigree IMO.

meld51
11-07-2003, 21:58
But people....I've been a customer of Computer co's for 20 years.....this goes against the tide!

Soulgirl
12-07-2003, 12:07
My husband builds PC's for a living and says that whilst these large companies producing PC's for home use are cheap for their specs - the actual hardware used is cr@p... I haven't bought an off the shelf pc myself so can't say I have looked in the box but always worth checking what parts you are getting for your money.

idi banashapan
12-07-2003, 12:13
Originally posted by Soulgirl
My husband builds PC's for a living and says that whilst these large companies producing PC's for home use are cheap for their specs - the actual hardware used is cr@p... I haven't bought an off the shelf pc myself so can't say I have looked in the box but always worth checking what parts you are getting for your money.

this is generally true. If you build your own, which I always have, you know EXACTLY what is going in. And there was a time when building them yourself was also cheaper, but now the cost of manufacturing the parts is so cheap, big companies offer excellent deals, ie, printers, scanners and cameras with the pc at a very competative price.

I support an Estate consisting of around 6000 pcs which are Dell, and they are very reliable machines. Rarely does our team have to deal with Dell themselves for hardware faults, and if we do, their customer care is excellent.

I have worked with Pcs for years and have always sworn by building my own, but I would have no problem with buying a Dell system. They can be slightly more expensive than other makes, but you do get what you pay for (this includes after sales).

Undisputedtruth
12-07-2003, 12:48
Originally posted by meld51
Call me slow....
I phoned them last night about a deal in the Sunday Times. A dimension 2400 for £299+va t and free delivery (I only need a simple PC). I was told that the deal was closed already. They move fast!

Also the sales guy was too pushy for my liking. He tried everything to try and close the deal, but I wanted to think some more.

He said he would send me an email quote but none arrived. Now its almost 24 hr later and still no quote.

So I'm a bit put off by their sales manner, especially since you don't get to see the goods first.

Never mind, I still think that the machines are good, plain stuff so I will probably persevere.....

It is a good idea to perservere. Do your research on their DELL forum for further information on their products you are buying. Then get accustom to the pricing structure of these machines before tacking DELL sales staff. Afterall, they are sales people and are only interested in selling, so beware of any BS.

idi banashapan
12-07-2003, 12:51
Originally posted by Undisputedtruth
It is a good idea to perservere. Do your research on their DELL forum for further information on their products you are buying. Then get accustom to the pricing structure of these machines before tacking DELL sales staff. Afterall, they are sales people and are only interested in selling, so beware of any BS.

You can buy a Dell on the web really easily. You choose what you want, it updates the price as you go and when you're happy, buy it!!!!!! No BS from ANY sales staff!

jay.dee
12-07-2003, 13:27
No one's even mentioned the Dell Outlet section of their website, where they sell end-of-line and repaired stock for a nice discount...

Also for a few years (other manufacturers are catching up now) they were the only company to supply laptops with UXGA screens (1600x1200) - amazing!

Undisputedtruth
12-07-2003, 14:36
Originally posted by jay.dee
No one's even mentioned the Dell Outlet section of their website, where they sell end-of-line and repaired stock for a nice discount...

Also for a few years (other manufacturers are catching up now) they were the only company to supply laptops with UXGA screens (1600x1200) - amazing!

With the sort of discounts on my Dell laptop, the difference between the Dell outlet price and my brand new laptop was approximately £80.

The Dell UXGA screen is absolutely gorgeous and is well worth paying the extra for. Compaq is selling their UXGA laptops for around £2000. I think a company called Compal makes the same UXGA screen for DELL and Compaq. Compal will also supply UXGA screens for ACER by the end of this year.

SMHarman
12-07-2003, 20:23
Dell also have problems with certain sets of specs.

You cannot have a dell PC with an analoge modem, ISDN, and NIC. Why?

Undisputedtruth
13-07-2003, 03:20
Originally posted by SMHarman

I might be wrong but I think they are available for laptops. I've only only have 2 USB 2.0 ports on my computer. I sometimes wonder if its a good idea to get rid of the parallel port and PS/2 in order to have some more USB ports. I have a 56k modem and a NIC on my laptop.

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as the perfect laptop up to the £2300 level. The Dell Inspiron out performs the Toshiba 5100-902 on the graphics front.

distortal
14-07-2003, 15:58
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
When you are looking at dell also don't forget to check out the Dell Axim X5 PDA they sell... VERY nice spec

But don't buy one until the PPC2003 problems are fixed. ;)

distortal
14-07-2003, 16:02

Dunno about ISDN, but my laptop has both v92 and Ethernet side by side, built in to the mainboard. I've never poked around the back of a Dell tower but they certainly come with Ethernet built in.

Lord Nikon
14-07-2003, 16:03

why the heck would you WANT ISDN?

a single channel ISDN connect is 64k, a modem connects at 56k (alright typically 40.6k) and is billed a single phone call per data channel.

to bond the channels to 128k involves 2 calls, and is billed as such.

the only benefit is connect speed... (time taken to dial / handshake)

meld51
17-07-2003, 21:06
Well, anyway I've chosen my Dell Dimension, made my choices and made my purchase!

Delivery in 7-10.

Will it happen on time do you think? Once I got sure about what I wanted, the sales guy was very helpful.....there were a few special wrinkles from my end because I want it to be delivered to another address. They were helpful and we found a way round the problem.

So far so good.............

matty4donna
17-07-2003, 21:09

a single channel ISDN connect is 64k, a modem connects at 56k (alright typically 40.6k) and is billed a single phone call per data channel.

the only benefit is connect speed... (time taken to dial / handshake) Because some people can't get ADSL or Cable and considering BT have postponed their plans for Midband, ISDN is the only viable option for a faster connection. Whilst it may not suit you or your budget, it does for some people :rolleyes:

Undisputedtruth
17-07-2003, 21:28
Originally posted by meld51
Well, anyway I've chosen my Dell Dimension, made my choices and made my purchase!

Delivery in 7-10.

Will it happen on time do you think? Once I got sure about what I wanted, the sales guy was very helpful.....there were a few special wrinkles from my end because I want it to be delivered to another address. They were helpful and we found a way round the problem.

So far so good.............

The Dell orderwatch facility is not bad. You may have to double check your delivery dates with Walsh Western though, they forgot to put my delivery date on the system.

meld51
17-07-2003, 21:51
Yeah, you just reminded me....so I just checked it out, my PC is in manufacture now....2 days from order intake.

Apparently, they only keep 4 hours of stock....they must be really hard on their suppliers!

Jarandco
17-07-2003, 21:57
dell are the new gateway! ( well gateway used to be the best - untill they stopped selling in the u.k. , even though they stoped over 2 years ago they still give support and it is still free!!! so they were very good
but back to dell yes they are very good and very helpful although slightly expensive!

meld51
19-07-2003, 00:19
Well checked this afternoon. My PC has been finished and is shipped ....literally because the tracking website told me that it had been on a truck and is now on board a ship from Ireland.

Dell phoned and arranged a delivery on Wednesday day 8 of their 7 to 10 promise.

Pretty slick s far

Undisputedtruth
19-07-2003, 10:57
Looks like your PC is being shipped to Coventry!

meld51
19-07-2003, 18:07
How do you know that?

Undisputedtruth
21-07-2003, 22:46
I recently bought a Dell laptop

SMHarman
22-07-2003, 09:11

the only benefit is connect speed... (time taken to dial / handshake)

OK so it connects quicker and is 50% quicker to download and over 100% quicker to upload (64k both directions). Thats 2 benefits over dial up. You also get second voice number and a third digital number included in the package. You can use any 2 of the three numbers at once and on the digital line if you are using a single channel then it will still recieve calls.

I've got ISDN at home as I got it 4 years ago before NTL were offering BB and BT were offering ADSL.

Most Fax software does not work well (if at all) with ISDN cards, so you need a modem card to send recieve faxes.

I've got Broadband so I need a NIC card (well I'm not plugging it into USB).

I'm not getting rid of ISDN as my wife uses the analogue line 2 and the digital line as a business number and business fax number. BT will not disconnect and ISDN and guarantee that you can keep the numbers allocated. (so I could not switch back to an analogue line, rent a second line and port the third number to NTL. We might lose a number and thats not good for business).

BT cannot DACS the line either.

Thats why the heck I would want ISDN!

I was also pointing out some of the shortfalls in Dell PCs when I can easily add all three to a PC bought elsewhere.