PDA

View Full Version : DVD on Xbox - Region

MovedGoalPosts
09-07-2003, 23:29
I know that some DVD players are restricted to only playing discs for particular regions.

I'm looking at a UK website selling DVDs which appears to firstly promote the sale of region 1 (USA/Canada) in preference to anything else. It suggests that I should have a "multi region DVD player".

Is the Xbox multiregion?

If it is should I but region 1 stuff or is that likely to be substandard in picture quality ( I think USA TV use NTSC (whatever that is instead of PAL (more acronyms that mean nothing)?

kronas
09-07-2003, 23:31
when you buy the xbox remote which enables you to play dvds it will lock it to region 2 which is ours but you can buy dvd region x for xbox when its released :rolleyes:

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/productpage.asp?ProductCode=XB0034

also most new tvs in the uk will be able to handle NTSC :)

NEONKNIGHT
09-07-2003, 23:33
The Xbox is not multi regional. Saying that though, is there a disc out there somewhere like the one for PS2 which makes it multi regional?:confused:

*EDIT* Kronas has the answer!

kronas
09-07-2003, 23:36
Originally posted by NEONKNIGHT
The Xbox is not multi regional. Saying that though, is there a disc out there somewhere like the one for PS2 which makes it multi regional?:confused:

yep if you own a ps2 the dvd region x is out has been for a while also you dont need to buy a remote just use the controller to navigate :p

NEONKNIGHT
09-07-2003, 23:43
yep if you own a ps2 the dvd region x is out has been for a while also you dont need to buy a remote just use the controller to navigate

Yeah, but I'd have to buy a sub-standard console, namely PS2, first!! :sick:

*Joking*:p

kronas
09-07-2003, 23:44
Originally posted by Andre
DVD Region X will never get released for the XBOX as Datel cannot get Microsoft to give them a key for the XBOX's secure o/s.

hence why i said when its released :p

its a not so secure OS :p

kronas
09-07-2003, 23:49
Originally posted by Andre
There is no 'when', in fact there's not even an 'if'-it just will not happen.

you never know MS might change but i doubt it but stranger things have happened

so if you have a ps2 you can play multi region dvds now if you purchase a dvd region x

or just a buy a cheap multiregion dvd player :p

MovedGoalPosts
09-07-2003, 23:53
OK great so any DVD I buy must be region 2. Thanks.

One further question. The same website offers region 2 DVDs (buried in a sub menu) but describes the sound as DTS 5.1 (Digital Theatre Systems). It then goes on to say

To experience 5.1 channels of DTS Digital Surround, you need a DVD player with the DTS "Digital Out" logo, plus a surround processor (pre-amp or receiver) with a built-in DTS decoding circuit. Is the Xbox gonna cope with this, or will I just get a dodgy noise?

PS I'd name the website cos I think the prices are good with no P&P added on, but I know this forum has policies against third party links / promotion so sorry, I wont.

MovedGoalPosts
10-07-2003, 00:14
Thanks for the advice guys :)

Tezcatlipoca
10-07-2003, 01:36
Originally posted by kronas
you never know MS might change but i doubt it but stranger things have happened

so if you have a ps2 you can play multi region dvds now if you purchase a dvd region x

or just a buy a cheap multiregion dvd player :p

No chance MS would ever give Datel a key for Region X - they wouldn't want to fall foul of the DMCA in the States.

As they won't be able to get a key, the only way to run Region X would be on a modded XBox (be it by using a mod-chip, soldering the write-enable jumpers & flashing the XBox's own BIOS, or maybe the new method that doesn't use a hardware mod)...but a modded XBox would already be capable of being "region free" & so not need anything like Region X.