PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my DVD burner

imback
27-02-2004, 15:23
Ok first, I think this is the right forum for this.

I have a liteon DVD writer (listed on ebuyer as Liteon 4x DVD DUAL R/RW IDE Burner ) it burns DVD's no problem, 100% success rate.

However it does have a few annoying problems, sometimes it takes a few attempts before it sees there's a disk in the drive, it is pretty flakey with alcohol 120% (which is the software I like to use) but my biggest complaint is it is pretty bad at burning CD's, for data any way.

It burns music CD's fine, but if I try to burn a data CD it only produces a good CD 1 in 10 times, I have tried this with many brands of CDR and many different bits of software, and burnt at slowest speed (4x).

So I thought I'd upgrade the firmware, as recommended on ebuyers site by a customer, how ever there is now firmware section for DVD drives on liteons web site :confused:

I know the drives are probably made by someone else and badged by liteon so does anyone know of where I can get a frimware upgrade for this drive please?

paulyoung666
27-02-2004, 15:49
Ok first, I think this is the right forum for this.

I have a liteon DVD writer (listed on ebuyer as Liteon 4x DVD DUAL R/RW IDE Burner ) it burns DVD's no problem, 100% success rate.

However it does have a few annoying problems, sometimes it takes a few attempts before it sees there's a disk in the drive, it is pretty flakey with alcohol 120% (which is the software I like to use) but my biggest complaint is it is pretty bad at burning CD's, for data any way.

It burns music CD's fine, but if I try to burn a data CD it only produces a good CD 1 in 10 times, I have tried this with many brands of CDR and many different bits of software, and burnt at slowest speed (4x).

So I thought I'd upgrade the firmware, as recommended on ebuyers site by a customer, how ever there is now firmware section for DVD drives on liteons web site :confused:

I know the drives are probably made by someone else and badged by liteon so does anyone know of where I can get a frimware upgrade for this drive please?

have you got a model number ??????????? , you are gonna have to have this or get nowhere i would think :)

Salu
27-02-2004, 15:50
http://www.liteon.com/prod/getDriver.do?xml_id=4_4&xml_id=4_4

Look under Optical Storage Device

Salu

altis
27-02-2004, 15:51
try here:
http://www.liteon.com/prod/getDriver.do?xml_id=4_4&xml_id=4_4

[Edit]
Bum - too slow again!

Alternatively, if you would like to make it region free at the same time then try here:
http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php
- but remember this is hacked firmware with no warranty.

imback
27-02-2004, 15:52
have you got a model number ??????????? , you are gonna have to have this or get nowhere i would think :)

I haven't, not on me, I'm in work sorry.

The only info I can give you is that it's this drive in the link

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=57137

paulyoung666
27-02-2004, 15:53
I haven't, not on me, I'm in work sorry.

The only info I can give you is that it's this drive in the link

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=57137

LDW - 451S , it says on there :rolleyes: :D :D :D :D

try googling for it , there is loads to read :)

how old is the drive btw ???????????

imback
27-02-2004, 16:02
LDW - 451S , it says on there :rolleyes: :D :D :D :D

try googling for it , there is loads to read :)

how old is the drive btw ???????????

I'm in NTL, most of the decent web sites are blocked :

The drive is still under warranty, it's only a month or 2 old, but I wanted to see if a firmwar eupgrade would solve it before returning because it's fine with DVD's

Look under Optical Storage Device

Ok so I'm having a dumb day:D

DrAwesome
27-02-2004, 16:12
Hi imback

Try this link (http://svp.co.uk/helpdesk/?_a=troubleshooter) see if it has any answers to your problems

imback
27-02-2004, 16:26
Hi imback

Try this link (http://svp.co.uk/helpdesk/?_a=troubleshooter) see if it has any answers to your problems

Thanks,

It just says

I am having a problem reading certain discs
Please check that you have the region setting for the drive set to region 2 (Europe). You have to set a region before using the drive with some discs or for some purposes.

Ensure that you are running an up-to-date firmware revision. This can be obtained from the manufacturers website - in most cases you need to be running the latest version available.

Cheaper media can also cause problems. Before assuming a drive is faulty please check it with reliable media. We find Ritek dye media reasonably priced and good for this purpose.

I have tried it with loads of different CD's and like I said every now and then one works. It's just that for what I am using it for I need it to be spot on with no errors, so it will be read, and this just aint happening.

Maybe I will return it and get the pioneer instead.

paulyoung666
27-02-2004, 16:34
you have got to be careful when you flash drives as well , you could bugger it up permanently :(

i would send it back , or at least give em a ring and see what they recomend :)

imback
27-02-2004, 16:35
you have got to be careful when you flash drives as well , you could bugger it up permanently :(

i would send it back , or at least give em a ring and see what they recomend :)

yeah I just used an "enote" on their site now, ebuyer are a waste of time on the phone, they'll just say to send it back I guess.

DrAwesome
27-02-2004, 16:51
Thanks,

It just says

I am having a problem reading certain discs
Please check that you have the region setting for the drive set to region 2 (Europe). You have to set a region before using the drive with some discs or for some purposes.

Ensure that you are running an up-to-date firmware revision. This can be obtained from the manufacturers website - in most cases you need to be running the latest version available.

Cheaper media can also cause problems. Before assuming a drive is faulty please check it with reliable media. We find Ritek dye media reasonably priced and good for this purpose.

I have tried it with loads of different CD's and like I said every now and then one works. It's just that for what I am using it for I need it to be spot on with no errors, so it will be read, and this just aint happening.

Maybe I will return it and get the pioneer instead.

It also says or should say check that you have the drive selection in DMA mode not PIO, have you tried using Nero & if you have used Nero do you get the same problem using Nero?

As it says Ritek dye is said to be most compatable as some Dvdr drives can be fussy.

imback
27-02-2004, 17:36
It also says or should say check that you have the drive selection in DMA mode not PIO, have you tried using Nero & if you have used Nero do you get the same problem using Nero?

As it says Ritek dye is said to be most compatable as some Dvdr drives can be fussy.

I have tried, CDRwin, Nero 6, Alcohol 120% and always flakey with burning data CD's. No matter what CD's I use :confused:

DrAwesome
27-02-2004, 19:38
I have tried, CDRwin, Nero 6, Alcohol 120% and always flakey with burning data CD's. No matter what CD's I use :confused:

If you have tried every thing you can think of & no joy your only option is to return it.

If you do get your money back & you decide to buy a Pioneer or NEC dvdr writer either is a good choice.

imback
27-02-2004, 20:29
If you have tried every thing you can think of & no joy your only option is to return it.

If you do get your money back & you decide to buy a Pioneer or NEC dvdr writer either is a good choice.

Indeed but my grounds for returning it may be difficult for them to understand. I mean if I want to make a music CD, no problem, or a CD of photos, it's pretty ok with all that. But say you want to patch a game (I really do mean that in the non illegal sense) then the game is never any good.

It doesn't like a lot of CD brands, not just cheap brands either. It does things like write a disk and then it's unable to read it 2 uses later.

And what's more I can run it along side my CD writer (that has always been fine) as it doesn't like it and my CD writer or DVd writer wont work depending on which way I set them up. (I searche dgoogle it's because the DVD drive likes to be set as slave even when it's the only drive in the machine, and I tested it and it's true :confused: )

DrAwesome
27-02-2004, 20:48
I would set the dvdr as master (i try not to use cable select)
what do you have the jumper selector on the back of the dvdr set to ?

imback
27-02-2004, 22:51
I would set the dvdr as master (i try not to use cable select)
what do you have the jumper selector on the back of the dvdr set to ?

First I set it the way that made sense, DVDR as mater, CDR as slave, while windows detects both drives, when trying to burn a CD it's as if it can't see the disk (this is the CDR drive) and the DVD drive is the same. So I set it the other way around, and CR wouldn't work.

Even with only the DVD drive in it has to bee set to slave, as I found out on the web somewhere, when I set it back to that (that's how it was set out of the box) it worked fine again (with it being the only drive).

DrAwesome
28-02-2004, 08:14
The only other thing i was going to suggest would be to check your aspi drives but installing cdrwin (which doesnt seem to detect/support Pioneers & NEC dvdr writers as cdr writers) or Nero both utils automatically update your aspi drivers while installing.
Nero has an aspi checker (Nero InfoTool) from memory its the last tab to the right.

paulyoung666
28-02-2004, 10:04
now do i remeber something about having 2 or more writing applications on the same pc causing problems , or am i spouting *****e :confused:

imback
28-02-2004, 15:20
now do i remeber something about having 2 or more writing applications on the same pc causing problems , or am i spouting *****e :confused:

I got about 8 on mine for various things:D

Got it all sorted in the end, now running my CDR as slave to hard drive (not ideal I know) and the DVDR alone, both are now working fine, thank god.

Couldn't be botherd with the hassle of sending it back, so happy to have got them both working together. Never did find the firmware, but it's not an issue now because I have a drive for DVDs and one for CD's. Thanks for the suggestions.

DrAwesome
28-02-2004, 16:00
I got about 8 on mine for various things:D

Got it all sorted in the end, now running my CDR as slave to hard drive (not ideal I know) and the DVDR alone, both are now working fine, thank god.

Couldn't be botherd with the hassle of sending it back, so happy to have got them both working together. Never did find the firmware, but it's not an issue now because I have a drive for DVDs and one for CD's. Thanks for the suggestions.

You might find this link (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay/f-44-p-9.html) of some use (better than the last link i posted?) :)

use neroInfo tool to find out the firmware number & date & model number of your dvdr drive.

the last three model liteon x4 dual firmware's are..
LDW-811S DR8HSOP.ZIP Windows 02/05/04
LDW-451S DR4GSB7.ZIP Windows 02/18/04
LDW-411S DR4FS0J.ZIP Windows 02/05/04

imback
28-02-2004, 16:18
You might find this link (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay/f-44-p-9.html) of some use (better than the last link i posted?) :)

Thanks mate I'll check it out when I get home tonight it's blocked in work.

DrAwesome
28-02-2004, 16:24
Thanks mate I'll check it out when I get home tonight it's blocked in work.

the link is to a liteon help forum

this direct link (http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/download.htm) is to the liteon firmware webpage in the good ol' US of A.