PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3

3V!L G3N!US
27-02-2004, 01:03
Just played the doom 3 alpha all 3 maps well impressed :)
Cant wait for it to be finaly released ive only been waiting 9 years
playing unreal tourny 2k4 to pass the time and this also rox well the onslaught mod.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R also out soon and quake 4 so its a banging year for fps fan (like moi)
just thought i,d pen (key) my opinion if anyone was interested:wavey:

I ONLY PING WHEN I,M WINING.

Bifta
27-02-2004, 02:00
S.T.A.L.K.E.R is rumoured to be slated for a September 2004 release and Quake 4 is going to be a LONG way away (we're talking at least a year for anything substantial to show up), Doom 3 had an unconfirmed release date reported on Gamespot of April 5th this year, this story was taken off shortly after so I'd estimate Doom 3 is probably going to be mid-summer (probably around September)

3V!L G3N!US
27-02-2004, 17:48
Just read quake to be released early 2005 :bigcry:
2 out of 3 wasnt bad tho :naughty:

jamrop
28-02-2004, 13:58
Hey

i tried doom, but ran not very well on my pc. Just wondered how it ran on urs.

My spec amd 2100 , 512 ddr, 9800 pro

dilli-theclaw
28-02-2004, 14:02
Hey

i tried doom, but ran not very well on my pc. Just wondered how it ran on urs.

My spec amd 2100 , 512 ddr, 9800 pro
It didn't run well with a 9800 pro - what hope is there :(

I have a 9800pro and if it's not going to run very well on that I think I'll be giving it a miss.

Bifta
28-02-2004, 14:14
It didn't run well with a 9800 pro - what hope is there :(

I have a 9800pro and if it's not going to run very well on that I think I'll be giving it a miss.

It's an alpha, it's not optimised yet, even so, it ran perfectly well on my 9800 pro so I wouldn't worry about the retail release, it'll run just fine on your box.

jamrop
28-02-2004, 14:18
Hey i dont think it has anything to do with the 3dcard that made it play crap. I think my problem is the cpu and memory. That is why i asked what the spec of ppls pcs are, that run doom 3 ok, as i am planning on upgrading and what an idea on what i should get

Bifta
28-02-2004, 15:10
Hey i dont think it has anything to do with the 3dcard that made it play crap. I think my problem is the cpu and memory. That is why i asked what the spec of ppls pcs are, that run doom 3 ok, as i am planning on upgrading and what an idea on what i should get

When I tried the alpha, when it was first leaked, I had 512 meg generic PC2100, a Radeon 9700 pro and an Athlon XP 1800 .. seemed to work fine there too, so long as you downed the shadows (stencil shadows which no ATI card can seem to deal well with in any game)

jamrop
28-02-2004, 15:53
stencil shadows? how do you lower that?

thanks

Bifta
28-02-2004, 16:02

thanks

Couldn't tell you, it's been months since I played it, I'm sure there are some dodgy help files kicking about for it though.

timewarrior2001
28-02-2004, 16:15
From what I have seen DOOM3 wont make it this year.
Not actually seen the game, but being a slight games fan BREED hint hint. I hear that Doom3 is still TBA.

Stalker looks good, I hope it plays as good as it looks.

Far cry, not really my cup of tea.

Bifta
28-02-2004, 16:37
Breed? The two demo's I played were pretty crap, they'll have to pull something major out of their hats to get their now ageing (thanks to constant delays) engine on a par with HL2 and D3's. If the whole of the Breed community buys the game it'll still not make enough to keep Brat afloat and as the game hasn't been hyped whatsoever (other than buy their members) I can't see it doing well outside of it.

timewarrior2001
28-02-2004, 16:58
Breed? The two demo's I played were pretty crap, they'll have to pull something major out of their hats to get their now ageing (thanks to constant delays) engine on a par with HL2 and D3's. If the whole of the Breed community buys the game it'll still not make enough to keep Brat afloat and as the game hasn't been hyped whatsoever (other than buy their members) I can't see it doing well outside of it.Tsk Tsk keep up to date with the games industry matey, Mercury is done and dusted, Mercury II will be launched possibly in the form of a game called SOLARIS.

Bifta
28-02-2004, 17:01
Tsk Tsk keep up to date with the games industry matey, Mercury is done and dusted, Mercury II will be launched possibly in the form of a game called SOLARIS.

Presumably you mean Solar. But what has that got to do with Breed? Breed isn't using Mercury II is it?

timewarrior2001
28-02-2004, 17:04
Presumably you mean Solar. But what has that got to do with Breed? Breed isn't using Mercury II is it?better get this back on topic.

But nah, Breed Uses Mercury, but Mercury wont be used afaik for anything else now, Brat never planned to license it in any form.

Mercury is capable of far far far more than what Breed could throw at it.

Edit, and yeah I meant SOLAR heh heh, daft arse me ya know ;)

Bifta
28-02-2004, 17:05
better get this back on topic.

But nah, Breed Uses Mercury, but Mercury wont be used afaik for anything else now, Brat never planned to license it in any form.

Mercury is capable of far far far more than what Breed could throw at it.

Edit, and yeah I meant SOLAR heh heh, daft arse me ya know ;)

One would hope it is capable of more, the breed demo's were a bit bland looking, as yet I've not seen anything other than S.T.A.L.K.E.R that comes up to HL2's or D3's engine.

timewarrior2001
28-02-2004, 17:11
One would hope it is capable of more, the breed demo's were a bit bland looking, as yet I've not seen anything other than S.T.A.L.K.E.R that comes up to HL2's or D3's engine.
From what I have seen HL2 and D3 look impressive, yet I still feel that features of HL2 make it gimmicky.

Doom3, well its in corridors isnt it?, I was surprised that Carmack went for the same format personally.

Bifta
28-02-2004, 17:13
Doom3, well its in corridors isnt it?, I was surprised that Carmack went for the same format personally.

Tried and tested a la Doom I and II .. stick with what works.

Bifta
29-02-2004, 02:44

thanks

Sorry, meant to come back on and answer this again, if you go into the console and type r_shadows 0 that should turn them off and smooth the framerates out.

OpticFibber[UK]
29-02-2004, 03:20
Yepp....Alpha Demo was sweet. Loads of atmosphere & very pretty.
Movement was become impossible with multiple characters.......(FPMinute issues)

3V!L G3N!US
29-02-2004, 13:25
Anyone know what the fps will be capped at if its capped at all?
Read somewhere 50..surley not ?
using geforce fx 5600..should i bin it and join the radeon bandwagon?

jamrop
29-02-2004, 18:46
hey

thanks for that Bifta

Bifta
29-02-2004, 20:21
Anyone know what the fps will be capped at if its capped at all?
Read somewhere 50..surley not ?
using geforce fx 5600..should i bin it and join the radeon bandwagon?

Would your eyes detect more than 50 FPS? As for the card, I'd personally ditch it and buy a cheap 9800 pro.

3V!L G3N!US
29-02-2004, 22:34
Would your eyes detect more than 50 FPS? As for the card, I'd personally ditch it and buy a cheap 9800 pro.I always thought "higher" was better..and as for the card the latest det drivers made my card as powerful as an 810 chipset sooo its out with the old in with the new.
I wanted a radeon just needed someone to agree :)

Bifta
29-02-2004, 23:14
I always thought "higher" was better..and as for the card the latest det drivers made my card as powerful as an 810 chipset sooo its out with the old in with the new.
I wanted a radeon just needed someone to agree :)

The framerates should really be locked to your refresh rate (mine is admittedly 120hz), otherwise you experience tearing, but 50fps won't cause any noticable framerate drop in play.

kronas
02-03-2004, 05:17
it seems id software has stated that they recommend the geforcefx series of nvidia graphics cards, for playing doom 3.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/doom3/news_6090372.html

Bifta
02-03-2004, 13:17
it seems id software has stated that they recommend the geforcefx series of nvidia graphics cards, for playing doom 3.

Meh, no Nvidia card will match up to my 5 GPU'd Radeon 8500! ph3334444r!

Nutty
02-03-2004, 20:35
From what I have seen DOOM3 wont make it this year.
Not actually seen the game, but being a slight games fan BREED hint hint. I hear that Doom3 is still TBA.

id Software never give release dates, but it will definitly be released this year. People in the know are estimating sometime in April. And There are alot of factors which indicate this.

Framerate in doom3 will be capped to 60hz AFAIK. Though personally I think thats rubbish.. I want my monitor to be at 100hz, and theres no way 60hz is gonna fit perfectly smoothly into a 100hz update.

Richard M
02-03-2004, 20:59
I think that rumour is most likely because of the 60Hz OpenGL "limit" on Windows 2000/XP, it can be overridden of course...

OpticFibber[UK]
09-03-2004, 23:27

I DL'd the Alpha Dev Ver ? a while ago. This version had a major problem with the nvidia series it seems. As a temp solution to this problem they included old nvidia drivers with the software. It worked, but was slow and unstable.

This issue cleared up now I wonder?

TheBlueRaja
26-03-2004, 19:36
BTW - the alpha was "optimised" for Nvidia, i say optimised, because at that stage of development it was only ever probably tested on Nvidia cards.

Nobody should take the performace of the alpha as an indication of what the final will be like.

jamesclarke555
26-03-2004, 19:51
BTW - the alpha was "optimised" for Nvidia, i say optimised, because at that stage of development it was only ever probably tested on Nvidia cards.

Nobody should take the performace of the alpha as an indication of what the final will be like.
It was actually shown at ATI's booth at E3 2002, and it is believed the alpha was leaked by ATI staff. Obviously since then NVIDIA have got into bed with Carmack, prolly because ATI are in bed with Half-Life 2 ;)