PDA

View Full Version : Original or Cover

gazzae
09-07-2003, 13:09
Hi

Hopefully someone here will be able to settle an argument, there is a track on one of Nirvana's albums called "Where did you sleep last night" the lyrics are something like....

My girl, my girl, don't lie to me
Tell me where did you sleep last night

In the pines, in the pines
Where the sun don't ever shine
I would shiver the whole night through

I am sure this is a cover song but am not able to find out who the original artist is. My mate insists that it was written by Nirvana. Neither of us have the album in question ( I think it was the unplugged one). Does anybody on here know the answer?

Thanks

Marge
09-07-2003, 13:17
This may help http://www.digitalnirvana.net/songguide/body.asp?songid=112

spacedhopper
09-07-2003, 13:19
It was origionally by Leadbelly

EDIT: beat me to it!!

gazzae
09-07-2003, 13:21
ah fantastic!!! Thanks

Isn't it always the way, you search for ages to try and find something and then somebody else has a look and finds it straight away lol :)

imback
09-07-2003, 13:24
It's a cover mate, he even says that before he sings the song ;)

Written by Huddie Ledbetter (Lead Belly) Suposedly sang by Kurt as he suspected Courtney was up to no good.

So it's a cover version along with: The man that sold the world, Oh Me, Lake of fire, Jesus Don't want me for a Sunbeam and Plateau.

bopdude
09-07-2003, 13:26
Oh Yeah, classic album, i'm gonna have to dig it out got it somewhere :)

gazzae
09-07-2003, 13:28
lol I haven't listened to the album in ages so can't remember what he said (some ******* stole it along with 100 other CDs!)
I remembered the song as its one of my favourites on that album.

BTW, for any fans of Kurt Cobain, I'm reading a book at the minute called "Who Killed Kurt Cobain", makes for extremly interesting reading!

TigaSefi
09-07-2003, 13:43
Nirvana MTV Unplugged is the best of the lot even beating the mighty Neil Young Unplugged and it all 10 years ago. jeez doesn't time fly. I remember when it first came out and ppl berated it for a lack of music but for me the voice of Cobain what really mattered.

bopdude
09-07-2003, 13:48
Originally posted by TigaSefi
Nirvana MTV Unplugged is the best of the lot even beating the mighty Neil Young Unplugged and it all 10 years ago. jeez doesn't time fly. I remember when it first came out and ppl berated it for a lack of music but for me the voice of Cobain what really mattered.

Good vid, I used to have it somewhere, I used to play the *ahem, music tape back to back on long journeys...excellent :)

TigaSefi
09-07-2003, 13:49
hmm back to back on long journeys ? that pushing it a bit... didn't u feel a bit wrist slashy towards the end ?

bopdude
09-07-2003, 13:53
Originally posted by TigaSefi
hmm back to back on long journeys ? that pushing it a bit... didn't u feel a bit wrist slashy towards the end ?

LOL :shrug: nope, I just enjoyed the raw sound tooooo much, sad loss to the industry as he had one of those voices that come's but once in a blue moon

gazzae
09-07-2003, 14:01
Originally posted by bopdude
LOL :shrug: nope, I just enjoyed the raw sound tooooo much, sad loss to the industry as he had one of those voices that come's but once in a blue moon

So true, its such a pity that his life was taken

imback
10-07-2003, 08:33
Nrivana unplugged was as good as the series got, along with Clapton unplugged. And acording to various rumours it was the shape of things to come form Kurt who was planning an acoustic album with M Stpie from REM, now that would have been cool.

TigaSefi
10-07-2003, 10:57
I felt Neil Young Unplugged was BETTER than Clapton. Some of Clapton songs were badly done whilst Young songs oozed class.