PDA

View Full Version : Best Offer for installation of TV + Phone

heggers
24-02-2004, 16:14
I am moving house shortly and want both telephone and TV (in HA7 London).

From viewing the NTL website and have seen Talk Unlimited 24 and free base TV pack on a current promotion at a cost of £25 per month plus £25 installation.
This seems decent value but does anyone know of any other promotional offers or any promotional code to get free installation (for use on NTL website)?

Marge
24-02-2004, 16:19
I would check about installation as I think it is free at the moment :shrug:

oh, sorry and :welcome: to the site

Macca
24-02-2004, 16:33
I would check about installation as I think it is free at the moment :shrug:

oh, sorry and :welcome: to the site

£10.00 installation in Celtic Region at present, Free installation on Broadband Only installs. Unfortunately it does still appears to be dependant on what area you are in with regards to the offers.

:wavey: Welcome heggers

Marge
24-02-2004, 16:35
Yep, know what you mean, free in the NW for everything atm :shrug:

Macca
24-02-2004, 16:39
Yep, know what you mean, free in the NW for everything atm :shrug:

Bit of a confusing one that cos NW and Celtic are now part of the larger North franchise, so you would expect the offers to be the same across, at least, the same franchise. :confused:

Marge
24-02-2004, 16:56
Probably best ringing the local sales dept and seeing what offers are available re installation???

The deal you mentioned above is good value and if you can get free installation it makes it even better :tu:

paulyoung666
24-02-2004, 17:30

From viewing the NTL website and have seen Talk Unlimited 24 and free base TV pack on a current promotion at a cost of £25 per month plus £25 installation.
This seems decent value but does anyone know of any other promotional offers or any promotional code to get free installation (for use on NTL website)?

the same offer is / was going on in teesside , i think the installation was free though :)

orangebird
24-02-2004, 17:45

£25 Installation for 1Mb, 600K & 150K Broadband. Represents savings of up to £50. No modem charge. Permanently connected, high speed, internet access leaves phoneline free

Talk Unlimited 24 and get Digital TV (Base Pack) (worth £102) or Unlimited Internet FREE for 12 months. A Saving of £120! free UK & national calls 24/7, potential for over 150 channels, including 30 Radio channels (offer excludes add-ons) OR use unmetered (dial-up) internet at any time, 24/7

Half price installation (£25) when purchasing Hangama (which includes Talk Unlimited Local) over 30 channels including SET Asia & over 30 digital radio channels, including free off peak local calls and get calls to Asian countries for 25p.

HTH :)

Hell's Child
24-02-2004, 19:04
Bit of a confusing one that cos NW and Celtic are now part of the larger North franchise, so you would expect the offers to be the same across, at least, the same franchise. :confused:
The coming together of franchises ie north, midlands and south, although now out to the public hasn't taken effect on the individual franchises that were before ie NW, Celtic, Teeside etc. I don't expect for it to become north, midlands and south for a good few months now untill they can put eveyone on the same pegging. It all goes cenral now with the marketing offers ie install charges etc, and as far as I am aware installs are free where-ever you are in the country. They may be showing charges on the internet, but as Deb's says, it's best phoning your local sales team to see what offers you can have, and clarify the "free install" situation you have.

heggers
25-02-2004, 13:02
Cheers for the advice all, will give NTL a call next week before I move in and let the board know how I got on.

One last question though, on the Unlimited 24 phone package will I be able to phone a geographical ISP number for free with the free calls (I currrently can get free calls on this number through BT)?

Hell's Child
25-02-2004, 13:37
One last question though, on the Unlimited 24 phone package will I be able to phone a geographical ISP number for free with the free calls (I currrently can get free calls on this number through BT)?
Only if that number is an 0800 number. 0845 0870 etc are all chargable calls, although there is an offer at the moment (again I believe in all regions) where if you talk Talk 24 you can have free dial up internet (through our normal pay monthly service) for 12 months.

Neil
25-02-2004, 13:39
Cheers for the advice all, will give NTL a call next week before I move in and let the board know how I got on.

If it is an 01/02/0800 number, then yes.

heggers
25-02-2004, 17:00
Should do nicely Neil as it's an 020 number..........

heggers
04-03-2004, 10:20
Bah humbug, called NTL and was informed that they cannot install in my road due to problems with cabinets....... although I accepted this, the website check seemed to find the postcode ok so I chanced ordering installation online (the house already has cable TV cabled up, and I don't particularly ever trust any CustServices for anything anyway), have recieved no communication since ordering 2 days ago, not even by email.

How long does it normally take to get back you after online ordering? And whats the story with cabinets, I am in London HA7, is it that bad that they cannot even provide a service to an already cabled house?

Neil
04-03-2004, 10:32
Bah humbug, called NTL and was informed that they cannot install in my road due to problems with cabinets....... although I accepted this, the website check seemed to find the postcode ok so I chanced ordering installation online (the house already has cable TV cabled up, and I don't particularly ever trust any CustServices for anything anyway), have recieved no communication since ordering 2 days ago, not even by email.

How long does it normally take to get back you after online ordering? And whats the story with cabinets, I am in London HA7, is it that bad that they cannot even provide a service to an already cabled house?

It sounds to me like you have been a victim of ntl BS.

I'm guessing that you are in Harrow? Harrow is what is known as 'an ex Videotron' network, that was very poorly designed/built (can't blame ntl for that), & is pretty much incapable of offering broadband/interactive.

There are ex VT areas that can/do offer BB, but the part of London that you are in (NW) & also pretty much most of the West part (Ealing/Acton etc) will never get BB via ntl over that ex VT network.

Why they CSR couldn't have told you that instead of offering you what appears to be a blatant lie/piece of BS is disgusting.

Macca
04-03-2004, 11:07
It sounds to me like you have been a victim of ntl BS.

I'm guessing that you are in Harrow? Harrow is what is known as 'an ex Videotron' network, that was very poorly designed/built (can't blame ntl for that), & is pretty much incapable of offering broadband/interactive.

There are ex VT areas that can/do offer BB, but the part of London that you are in (NW) & also pretty much most of the West part (Ealing/Acton etc) will never get BB via ntl over that ex VT network.

Why they CSR couldn't have told you that instead of offering you what appears to be a blatant lie/piece of BS is disgusting.

A bit unfair, Neil. I believe the CSR mentioned a cabinet problem, which could mean a few things but in general it is a capacity issue (cabinet requires upgrading as no links available for phone) and can happen in any area. I'm not disputing that that area may have network problems but to have a go at the CSR is a bit off. Not everyone is trying to spin tthe customer a line of BS.

Neil
04-03-2004, 11:13
A bit unfair, Neil. I believe the CSR mentioned a cabinet problem, which could mean a few things but in general it is a capacity issue (cabinet requires upgrading as no links available for phone) and can happen in any area. I'm not disputing that that area may have network problems but to have a go at the CSR is a bit off. Not everyone is trying to spin tthe customer a line of BS.

Hi Macca. :)

I am fairly certain that HA7 cannot get BB due to the reasons I gave, which would indicate that the CSR at best was misleading the customer as 'cabinet problems' is not really what is preventing that customer getting BB.

It also implies that the problem is local & specific to the cabinet in his road, & that it just needs fixing-which is far from the truth as the whole network pretty much needs replacing/upgrading.

If the CSR didn't know the answer-why not ask someone? They are paid to answer customers queries efficiently & honestly, & that answer was neither IMO.

[Edit]-What really irks me is that the people that the people who give out duff information (generally) have no accountability. :afire: They invariably can't be traced, so what does it matter what they tell a customer as it won't come back to them?

What I would like to see is a system that whenever any employee looks at a customer's account, they leave some kind of log to say that they have been there. That way, when the customer rings back with an issue, the person who mislead (or whatever the query is) the customer can be identified & dealt with as necessary (training/discipline etc)

For example-when I speak to Pipex, I get a reference number for my call that can be followed up at any time, ntl would never be so brave as to do that.

Macca
04-03-2004, 12:09

I am fairly certain that HA7 cannot get BB due to the reasons I gave, which would indicate that the CSR at best was misleading the customer as 'cabinet problems' is not really what is preventing that customer getting BB.

It also implies that the problem is local & specific to the cabinet in his road, & that it just needs fixing-which is far from the truth as the whole network pretty much needs replacing/upgrading.

If the CSR didn't know the answer-why not ask someone? They are paid to answer customers queries efficiently & honestly, & that answer was neither IMO.

[Edit]-What really irks me is that the people that the people who give out duff information (generally) have no accountability. :afire: They invariably can't be traced, so what does it matter what they tell a customer as it won't come back to them?

What I would like to see is a system that whenever any employee looks at a customer's account, they leave some kind of log to say that they have been there. That way, when the customer rings back with an issue, the person who mislead (or whatever the query is) the customer can be identified & dealt with as necessary (training/discipline etc)

For example-when I speak to Pipex, I get a reference number for my call that can be followed up at any time, ntl would never be so brave as to do that.

That is a much better way of putting it and I agree with alot of what you say in particular the accountability of people giving inaccurate info. :tu:

themelon
04-03-2004, 13:22
Strictly speaking.....and as far a underinformed CSR may go. The cabinets are actually the problem in London. Apparently something is at fault with the cabinets which needs replacing throughout the videoton parts of Londone.....basically new cabinets. Apparently the actual cable is no worse than other parts of the country, just the signal reaching people houses isnt strong enough.

However it should have been made more clear that ntl will unlikely, certainally in the forseeable future have broadband in this area. One day perhap when ntl is a bit more finacially stable, they will be willing to upgrade this network because obviously having broadband customers in London is somthing they would want to keep/gain customers.

Neil
04-03-2004, 13:25
Strictly speaking.....and as far a underinformed CSR may go. The cabinets are actually the problem in London. Apparently something is at fault with the cabinets which needs replacing throughout the videoton parts of Londone.....basically new cabinets. Apparently the actual cable is no worse than other parts of the country, just the signal reaching people houses isnt strong enough.

However it should have been made more clear that ntl will unlikely, certainally in the forseeable future have broadband in this area. One day perhap when ntl is a bit more finacially stable, they will be willing to upgrade this network because obviously having broadband customers in London is somthing they would want to keep/gain customers.

I've actually seen pictures of the underground cabling in parts of West London, & I can assure you that the cabinets are the least of the problems. :(

themelon
04-03-2004, 13:28

It is a very good idea that, but unfortunately an idea employed by very few..not just ntl, BT are damned useless at logging faults even the amount of times i have had to ring them to rereport the same fault is ridiculous, I complained once I took the name of the Indian CSR called 'Dave' unfortunately Dave apparently didnt exist. It would improve customer service no end.....and dealing with Pipex as a business customer they are very very good.

I also wish there was a way that good csrs could be rewarded as this would encourage good support.

Neil
04-03-2004, 13:34
It is a very good idea that, but unfortunately an idea employed by very few..not just ntl, BT are damned useless at logging faults even the amount of times i have had to ring them to rereport the same fault is ridiculous, I complained once I took the name of the Indian CSR called 'Dave' unfortunately Dave apparently didnt exist. It would improve customer service no end.....

I agree 100%, that's why I said about peeps who give out duff info generally-not just ntl.

and dealing with Pipex as a business customer they are very very good.

I deal with them as a residential customer, & their service as a whole (the BB service, and the customer service has been exemplary. :tu:

I also wish there was a way that good csrs could be rewarded as this would encourage good support.

Agreed too, ntl (like most companies I guess) are quick to critisise their employees, but slow to reward them. :(

heggers
04-03-2004, 19:39
Would'nt mind too much but I was not even looking for broadband, only TV + Phone, and they are cabled into the house already as a previous owner had cable TV + phone. The mind boggles, rejecting willing customers who are already wired up!