PDA

View Full Version : CLI compatible phone model list?

spanner
23-02-2004, 16:51
Assuming CLI is available is there any easy way I can tell if a phone model will work without having to sign up and buy a phone just to test it?

From my search of the forum it appears not to be that easy, and may be different in varying NTL areas. I thought I'd ask anyway.

Maybe anyone who has CLI working could post what phones they use so the rest of us have an idea of what we can buy.

I'm interested in the newer line of Panasonic phones specifically, such as the KXTCD-775: www.home-phones.co.uk/asp/product.asp?recorprod=13&product=194&cat=79&ph=&keywords=&recor=1&SearchFor=&PT_ID=1

Thanks.

altis
23-02-2004, 17:00
There's loads of Caller ID info here:
http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid/cli_faq.htm

There used to be a list of compatible phones but, as far as I can see, it's no longer there. Still, you might find something useful.

spanner
23-02-2004, 17:12
Thanks. That site implies that I should be safe with Panasonic as they no doubt sell their DECT phones throughout Europe and should therefore support all the CLI standards likely to be thrown up by NTL.

AndrewLloyd
18-03-2004, 20:48
I have a Panasonic phone very similar to yours (model KX-TCD725EM), which I have just got caller display working with NTL. However when I first plugged it in it did not work, so I called NTL to check that caller display had been set up correctly on my phone line. They told me that my phone may not be compatible, but they would send someone round to check it out. However before they came, I decided to do some tests of my own to see whether it was the line or the phone at fault. I purchased a caller Id unit (Betacom Preview 2, £5.99 on EBay), because I understand that works fine with cable. So if the Betacom worked OK, then it would be my phone causing the problem, and if the Betacom did not work then it would be the line.

The result of the test was totally unexpected. The instructions told me to plug the Betacom into the wall socket, and then plug the phone into the back of the Betacom. This I duly did and when the first call came in, the Betacom displayed the number like a goodun! Aha I thought, it must be the phone at fault......Not so fast!.....because what I didn't realise at first was that the Panasonic had also started displaying the number as well. The phone appears to prefer the signal coming out of the Betacom unit to that coming out of the wall socket, so I guess the Betacom must alter the signal somewhat. What a result!

spanner
24-03-2004, 15:21
In the end I bought a Panasonic KX-TCD775ES on eBay, for under £40 [bargain!]

CLI is working well, took only 40 minutes for it to be activated. For once I am impressed with NTL! :)