PDA

View Full Version : coaxial cable help plz

stamp92
23-02-2004, 11:46
im looking for an online shop i can buy the connectors that slot onto the end of the coaxial cable and into the cable modem could anybody give me a link to a shop i can buy them. somehow i managed to find them when i looked for this b4 but im obviously now not typing in the right thing in the search box. RJ11 connectors???

thanks

seaneeboy
23-02-2004, 11:49
Hiya, have a look at

www.maplin.co.uk

Who are pretty good for stuff like that...

... I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do though - could you give us a bit more detail and perhaps I could point you a bit more specifically?

Stuartbe
23-02-2004, 11:51
im looking for an online shop i can buy the connectors that slot onto the end of the coaxial cable and into the cable modem could anybody give me a link to a shop i can buy them. somehow i managed to find them when i looked for this b4 but im obviously now not typing in the right thing in the search box. RJ11 connectors???

thanks

RJ11 is used for telephone/modem connections.... You need F connector's

HTH

Jon M
23-02-2004, 11:52

thanks

RJ11 connectors are the smaller phone type connections your 56k modem uses, I doubt you'd want them.

As far as coaxial cable goes.. i'd try a homewares store like homebase/b&q.. you could always get a cheap length of cable and strip the connectors off it

handyman
23-02-2004, 11:53
Hi,

Your looking for ' F connectors' You can get cheap crappy ones from places like asda for sat coax but they are very snug for ntl coax. Ntl use nice crimp on ones that need a special crimp for them.

Stuartbe
23-02-2004, 11:59
NB - Use decent F connectors and cable. You need to keep as much rf noise out as you can and keep signal loss to a minimum....

Dont use cheapy cable and connectors - They will only cause you problems !

Wolf
23-02-2004, 12:02
Yes maplin sell them but they are as far as i can tell unavailable for a few weeks as waiting for delivery by supplier. local shop may have them but i know for a fact Cardiff doesn't. Yes it is definately F connectors you want but beware there are several types, as in thread diameters and crimp type.

paulyoung666
23-02-2004, 12:02
NB - Use decent F connectors and cable. You need to keep as much rf noise out as you can and keep signal loss to a minimum....

Dont use cheapy cable and connectors - They will only cause you problems !

and maybe others as well :(

Chris
23-02-2004, 12:14
Best buy ready made up cable with connectors on each end from somewhere like Maplin. They are reasonably priced and probably not worth the extra P+P charge to buy online. If there's a shop anywhere near you, go do it the old fashioned way ...

I did something similar the other week; we moved the computer from one corner of the room to the far corner. There was almost enough cable to reach, but not quite. Luckily the engineer left two lengths of cable with us when he did the install a couple of years ago: one very long and one very short. Of course, both cables have 'female' connectors on both ends so I bought an F-cable connector from Maplin in Watford (49p!!!) allowing me to screw them together. Hey presto, one cable long enough to go round two sides of the room to our new computer corner.

SMHarman
23-02-2004, 14:31

thanks

What are you trying to do?

If you want to move your SACM then it is often better to leave the SACM where it is and extend the CAT5 cable from the modem to the PC.

COAX has a signal drop of about 3Db/10m so extending / shortening the coax can result in the signal levels at the modem being wrong and your service going screwy. A few M either way is OK with good shielded coax, but more than that a £50 service call to NTL should be placed.

Townys post above shows that using NTL supplied cable he could move it a couple of metres without problem, further than that could be an issue.

The CAT5 can be extended to up to 100m without deterioration in signal or the need to call NTL.

stamp92
23-02-2004, 22:57
What are you trying to do?

Well to cut a long story short....

I have co-ax cable going from white base unit on wall downstairs to the upstairs room at front of house (this was where i had my only pc at the time). I now have two PC's and a laptop. I use a router to link them all together for internet/file/printer sharing.

Since getting more PC's and setting up a local area network I've wanted to move the router and cable modem to a more central position in the house but the NTL install man drilled through a rafter underneath the floor boards and so to move modem i either had 2 get ntl come along (£50 - no thankyou) or make the hole in the rafter bigger so i could pull the cable back through (hole only wide enough for cable and not for connector to slip through).

I knew this was a coaxial cable and i had plenty of experience with coaxial cables since ive linked my parents tv (downstairs) to my sky box (upstairs) and in the past ive done crazy things like split the tv aeriel signal from the roof to my room and downstairs and then use a 3 way splitter downstairs so i could send the video signal back to my tv upstairs (since video is transmitted at different frequency no problem).

So what I did was first of all and this might sound crazy lol - I took a normal tv coaxial bit of cable and made sure the bit in the middle of the tv coax cable (positive) and the bit on the outside were touching the positive and negative bits on the modem socket and the other end of the tv coax cable was touching the postive/negative bits of their coax cable and to my delight it worked just fine no loss whatsoever. the reason i did this was because my idea was 2 cut the ntl wire and and stick the connector back on in the hall downstairs ( i was making a long wire shorter and then sticking connector on the end of the shorter wire). i had a spare (very sort) bit of ntl coax cable from when parents had cable tv downstairs and i practised with taking the connector of the end of this cable - i was able 2 take it off and put it back on and though its not very tidy and is somewhat fragile (only if cable is disturbed and pulled abt) it all worked fine.

Anyway the whole reason i shortened wire in such a messy way was because i was due to have adsl installed (BT line is downstairs in hall). I wanted 2 get my router/modem downstairs in the hall. I decided to move my cable modem and router downstairs and then when/if BT was activated i would then just unplug cable modem and rip up wire and just plug in adsl modem and router or scrap router as adsl modem has inbuilt router. I had of course re-wired house so everything went back to the hall instead of to the upstairs room. I have my front room, dining room, two bedrooms, living room and bathroom all linked up so I can plug in with a PC/laptop in any of the rooms.

So why did i want to know this in short! I was getting bt installed and i wanted to move everything (router/modem) from upstairs to downstairs so had to shorten wires and re-route network cables. i couldnt get bt installed so now have 2 stick with ntl and fix the shoddy job i did on trying to shorten the ntl cable which like for example was originally 10 metres and now is three metres.

SMHarman
24-02-2004, 10:13
Well to cut a long story short....

<snip> :rofl:

So why did i want to know this in short! I was getting bt installed and i wanted to move everything (router/modem) from upstairs to downstairs so had to shorten wires and re-route network cables. i couldnt get bt installed so now have 2 stick with ntl and fix the shoddy job i did on trying to shorten the ntl cable which like for example was originally 10 metres and now is three metres.

10-3 is less than 10 so go for your life. As posted earlier in the thread Maplin is your best bet. Or google F connectors.

Stuartbe
24-02-2004, 10:42
ooeer - Dont like to sound of your cable m8....

BTW - How do you know there is no loss or intermod ? I take it you dont have a network anyliser ?

Sorry but its shoddy cable jobs like that that cause problems on the NTL network and spoil it for other users around you...

PLEASE - Get someone who knows what they are doing to help you or call out an NTL engineer !