PDA

View Full Version : One arm bandits ARE bandits

bob_a_builder
08-07-2003, 16:54
Not sure if right place for this but still...

Surely most of us thought they were fixed, but its seem the proof is emerging
Here (http://www.fairplay-campaign.co.uk/fruit/fruit1.htm)

Shows there is a valid use for those emulators after all !

Ramrod
08-07-2003, 17:05
Thats terrible. I'm glad that I stopped playing those things 20 years ago.

darkangel
08-07-2003, 17:08
Originally posted by bob_a_builder

Shows there is a valid use for those emulators after all ! jeez are u telling me that they weren't doing it for charity all this timehttp://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Thud.gif

bopdude
08-07-2003, 17:09
Nice one Bob, as an avid " player " when in pubs I've known for years that this was the case, proof or no. It all depends on the bandit as you say but they do go through " cycles " , after all they have to pay out a percentage although when and what that percentage is, is again as you say down to the program.

This " news " wont deter me from " investing " the odd pound or two...lol, but thanks for the link.. busy d\l ing some bandits now so as to play at home :) :) :)

EDIT :- £4.00 stake & £9.60 out...lol, as Russ D says below, some times there are ways and means..lol

Russ
08-07-2003, 17:21
There are always ways to 'play' them though...I used to be quite successful at exploiting the cheats found in most machines :)

Martin
08-07-2003, 19:16
Even though I know this I still play them;) Mad or what!!:)

Stuart
08-07-2003, 20:01
Why is it terrible? The people that operate fruit machines do so because they want to make a profit, not to give money away.

Having read that article, it seems that it there is a chance you will lose on a fruit machine. You may not have the 70% chance of winning inferred by the labelling on the machine, but you still have a chance of winning.

Also that, article is actually wrong in some parts. It says that in any gamble, you have zero chance of winning. This is bull, as almost anyone who has played a fruit machine will tell you. It also seems to infer that any machine with hi and lo buttons decides you are going to lose before you push the button. This is wrong as well.

Also, they are basing their findings on an emulator. The emulator may or may not be accurate..

paulyoung666
08-07-2003, 20:53

Shows there is a valid use for those emulators after all !

just worked it out have you ;)

bob_a_builder
08-07-2003, 21:36
Scastle : you don;t work for the gaming board do you ?

""An interesting response is received from the Gaming Board, the supposedly regulatory body for fruit machines in the UK. In it, they say that the machine behaviour alleged by this site would be "undesirable" if true, but that they suspect the emulation is not accurately reproducing real machine behaviour. (We weren't aware the Gaming Board was home to emulation experts...) We have alerted them to further evidence, and await their reply.
"

As ususal the relavent industry watchdog sticks its head up it ar*e

bob_a_builder
08-07-2003, 21:38
just worked it out have you

Its one thing to think they are fixed,

its another to have the proof !

tomw
08-07-2003, 21:39
I am desperate to get one of the emulators working but cant any one got an idiots guide

bopdude
08-07-2003, 21:46
Originally posted by tomw
I am desperate to get one of the emulators working but cant any one got an idiots guide

Easy d\l both the emulator and the eastenders files, ( from the links ) put them into a folder, and unzip them into that folder, you can put sub folders ie eastenders etc etc folders inside the main one ( one for each machine you d\l ) then crank up the emulator and click on file load game and choose from your machines.

good luck :)

tomw
08-07-2003, 21:52
When i down load it and others it only seems to find eastenders and also where do you get other emulaters from as my machine is quiet old

Ramrod
08-07-2003, 22:40
Originally posted by Russ D
There are always ways to 'play' them though...I used to be quite successful at exploiting the cheats found in most machines :)
Elaborate please......:)

El Diablo
09-07-2003, 02:01
Originally posted by Russ D
:D ... or so you'd like to think!!! :D Whilst I'd agree that there are "ways to 'play' them", at the end of the day, if the machine don't want to pay, then it won't ... which was for me, the essence of the original article... It really doesn't matter what buttons you press, the machine only lets you get as far as it wants you to... There are certain 'cheats' but they can really only be classed as features of the game... if you chose to just slap the start button each time without giving any thought to any other part of the gameplay - cash would roll in eventually, but only if the machine says so :D

Graham
09-07-2003, 02:14
I fail to see what this article "proves".

Yes, fruit machines are fixed. Of course they are, it says so on the front of them!

The average return, over a long term, is 70% This is not, however the return on any particular spin of the reels or gamble, it is the return on if you play, say £100, on average, at the end of it, you will end up with £70.

What this means in actuality is that the machine can go for a long time without paying out then pay out a large amount in one go.

In fact this is exactly what a friend of mine who plays these machines a lot counts on. He visits the arcades or pubs and watches for people who play the machines without any real idea of what they're doing.

When they've finished sticking in their money and losing most of it, he wanders over with a pocket full of pound coins and, generally within a few minutes, he wanders away again with several pockets full of pound coins!

Mostly this is because he's taken time to learn the "tricks", eg some have "skill shot" features where, if you hold down the "cancel hold" button, the skill shot slows right down. On others if it gives three Holds in a row and you don't hold anything it puts in a win.

So the poor sap who has stuck in all his money and lost it got a 0% return, my friend gets a 140% return, but the *average* return is still 70%

Personally I can't be bothered and just keep my money in my pocket for a 100% guaranteed return!!

bob_a_builder
09-07-2003, 07:25
"At the moment, it is perfectly legal to operate a fruit machine which pays out just 5% or even 0% of its takings. The 70% minimum at which most machines currently operate is purely voluntary and not enforceable by law. We want a legal minimum to be set and enforced. This would also require setting a specific period over which the percentage had to be attained, since the current indefinite period makes any percentage figure meaningless"

Quote source (http://www.fairplay-campaign.co.uk/fruit/aims.htm)

bob_a_builder
09-07-2003, 07:29
Mostly this is because he's taken time to learn the "tricks", eg some have "skill shot" features where, if you hold down the "cancel hold" button, the skill shot slows right down. On others if it gives three Holds in a row and you don't hold anything it puts in a win

"But what about "Skill" features?

There are two kinds of features which fruit machines will flag as "Skill". The more common one is not skill-based at all, it merely creates an impression of being so by, for example, lighting a moving trail sequentially rather than randomly. However, when the player finally presses the button to stop the feature, the machine will not necessarily select the light that was lit at that point. Frequently it will "jump" to a different one entirely. You can see this behaviour for yourself by slowing the machine down using the emulator's "Delay" function.

As players came to realise that "Skill" features were misleadingly named, manufacturers instituted the "True Skill" feature. According to the BACTA guidelines, features described as "True Skill" must actually be functions of player skill. (Though bear in mind that these are only guidelines and are not legally enforceable.) However, the machine gets round this by only offering "True Skill" in a limited manner. For example, if a win ladder has 12 positions, the machine may only offer "True Skill" gambles on the first eight positions. After that it will cease to say "True Skill" on its display, and normal (cheating) behaviour will be resumed. "

poolking
09-07-2003, 08:17
Originally posted by morris
i hate these machines. i have a friend who plays them and it drives me mad. this is what happens, we go to the pub and get the first drinks in, my mate go's to the fruit machine puts all his money in then starts bugging me to lend him money. thrity pound's later i've said enouth so my mate gets in a strop and walks home and puts everyone else in a bad mode for the rest of the night. what a way to spend a night out.

Have you thought your friend may have a gambling addiction?

If so get him to seek help.

timewarrior2001
09-07-2003, 10:45
Originally posted by Graham
I fail to see what this article "proves".

The average return, over a long term, is 70% This is not, however the return on any particular spin of the reels or gamble, it is the return on if you play, say £100, on average, at the end of it, you will end up with £70.

Its actually now 80% and the amount its taken from is £1000
So in fact for every £1000 entered into the machine, the machine legally has to pay out £800.

However, If the machine is full, you will receive a lot more than 80%. Especially if the machine has just been delivered.

Russ
09-07-2003, 10:52
Originally posted by El Diablo
:D ... or so you'd like to think!!! :D Whilst I'd agree that there are "ways to 'play' them", at the end of the day, if the machine don't want to pay, then it won't ... which was for me, the essence of the original article... It really doesn't matter what buttons you press, the machine only lets you get as far as it wants you to... There are certain 'cheats' but they can really only be classed as features of the game... if you chose to just slap the start button each time without giving any thought to any other part of the gameplay - cash would roll in eventually, but only if the machine says so :D

Not so.

All fruit machines have a 'logic chip' which assumes the way you will play, for example if you have 2 symbols in a row, with the third one in the next row up, it will often offer you a 'nudge'. It will assume you will use this nudge to bring the final symbol down. This is being processed by the 'logic chip'. But if you were to act 'illogically', the process is upset.

I don't wish to encourage anyone to gamble so I won't go in to any more detail other than my method relied on constantly confusing the logic chip, which paid great dividends :)

Stuart
09-07-2003, 11:12
Scastle : you don;t work for the gaming board do you ?

""An interesting response is received from the Gaming Board, the supposedly regulatory body for fruit machines in the UK. In it, they say that the machine behaviour alleged by this site would be "undesirable" if true, but that they suspect the emulation is not accurately reproducing real machine behaviour. (We weren't aware the Gaming Board was home to emulation experts...) We have alerted them to further evidence, and await their reply.
"

As ususal the relavent industry watchdog sticks its head up it ar*e

No, I just have enough experience with emulators to know they are not always accurate.

Stuart
09-07-2003, 11:51
"At the moment, it is perfectly legal to operate a fruit machine which pays out just 5% or even 0% of its takings. The 70% minimum at which most machines currently operate is purely voluntary and not enforceable by law. We want a legal minimum to be set and enforced. This would also require setting a specific period over which the percentage had to be attained, since the current indefinite period makes any percentage figure meaningless"

Quote source (http://www.fairplay-campaign.co.uk/fruit/aims.htm)

While I agree that the companies should be forced to define how they derive the 70% payout figure, and that all companies should be forced to stick to the same method for deriving this figure, and that maybe a legal minimum payout should be set, bear in mind that if a fruit machine payout is too low, people will not go back to it.

bopdude
09-07-2003, 12:00
Originally posted by scastle
bear in mind that if a fruit machine payout is too low, people will not go back to it.

Got to agree there, when we get new bandits in the local, and if they are deemed to be " crap " they don't get played. The company suppling them has a computer link up so they can see if it's being played " earning " its floor space ( as they actually rent that spot that it's standing on ) if it's not then they will swap it for another, so we as the players do have a bit of say :p

Albeit very small,

Nidge
09-07-2003, 13:51
A mate of mine plays them for a living, he's banned form every arcade in Nottingham, he reckons you can easily win about £1,500 per week, he must be right because he's got a brand new Impreza and does no other work.

Nidge
09-07-2003, 13:52
Originally posted by El Diablo

You have to trick the machine into paying out.

ian@huth
09-07-2003, 16:42
Originally posted by bopdude
Easy d\l both the emulator and the eastenders files, ( from the links ) put them into a folder, and unzip them into that folder, you can put sub folders ie eastenders etc etc folders inside the main one ( one for each machine you d\l ) then crank up the emulator and click on file load game and choose from your machines.

good luck :)

When I do that I can get the eastenders machine to work but there is no display on the third reel. I have tried the other machines from that site and there is a problem with the Arcadia machine (no .gam file).

tomw
09-07-2003, 17:17
I get the same so we both obiously doing something wrong Could some body email me one they have got working !!!

Or provide a link to one that they know works

After reading about it it seems that they all use diferent emulaters and the prob is working out which one goes with which

tomw
10-07-2003, 01:22
got it to work it was my old cr***y machine