PDA

View Full Version : Viewing web folders in Windows Explorer

ronald146m
08-07-2003, 16:52
Hello

I've just put up my first web page.

Should I be able to view my web folders in Windows Explorer along with the hard drive folders?

If so, how do I set this up?

I'm using Windows 98SE.

Thanks

Ron

:shrug: :confused: :dunce:

altis
08-07-2003, 17:05
Yep, just put the following line into the address field of IE - you'll have to use your own username and password though.

ftp://username:password@upload.ntlworld.com/

Alternatively, if you want to view your webspace as though it were a drive then I recommend you spend a little money on PowerDesk Pro (http://www.v-com.com/product/pd_ind.html).

ronald146m
08-07-2003, 17:16
Originally posted by altis
Yep, just put the following line into the address field of IE - you'll have to use your own username and password though.

ftp://username:password@upload.ntlworld.com/

Alternatively, if you want to view your webspace as though it were a drive then I recommend you spend a little money on PowerDesk Pro (http://www.v-com.com/product/pd_ind.html).

Hello altis

I've done that with the ftp://username etc.

This doesn't show any web folders in Windows Explorer, it just opens Internet Explorer and shows my files on the main screen.

So do you mean that I can't view the web folders in Windows Explorer with Windows 98SE unless I use extra software?

Thanks

Ron
:shrug: :shrug:

bopdude
08-07-2003, 17:28
Originally posted by ronald146m
Hello altis

I've done that with the ftp://username etc.

This doesn't show any web folders in Windows Explorer, it just opens Internet Explorer and shows my files on the main screen.

So do you mean that I can't view the web folders in Windows Explorer with Windows 98SE unless I use extra software?

Thanks

Ron
:shrug: :shrug:

What I did was to add my page to my favourites along with my upload page, from there you should be able to view explorer style.

Let us know how you go :)

altis
08-07-2003, 17:35
Sorry, I didn't read your post carefully. You are correct - Windows Explorer does not understand FTP.

If you do the business with ftp://username etc then you can drag-and-drop files from Windows Explorer to Internet Explorer. To copy stuff the other way, go to Internet Explorer select a file and right-click on it then select 'copy to folder'.

Life is much easier in PowerDesk Pro. It is a replacement for Windows Explorer but has lots of extras like: you can view files, it can look into compressed files like zips and cabs, FTP sites appear as another drive, some digital cameras appear as another drive.

ronald146m
08-07-2003, 17:45
Sorry, I didn't read your post carefully. You are correct - Windows Explorer does not understand FTP.

If you do the business with ftp://username etc then you can drag-and-drop files from Windows Explorer to Internet Explorer. To copy stuff the other way, go to Internet Explorer select a file and right-click on it then select 'copy to folder'.

Life is much easier in PowerDesk Pro. It is a replacement for Windows Explorer but has lots of extras like: you can view files, it can look into compressed files like zips and cabs, FTP sites appear as another drive, some digital cameras appear as another drive.

Hi Bop, hi altis

Bop

I have already done as you suggested. What happens is that the Index/parent directory/etc information open up on the full screen, not down the left hand side.

altis

I have been using the method you suggested (exactly) to upload and download. It works fine, but it's a bit clumsy.

What you say about the extra software makes sense. I just needed to know that it's not do-able without it.

Thanks both of you

Ron
:devsmoke: :devsmoke:

ps Pretty bleak website so far eh:D :D

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ronald.brooksbank/webspace/home/homepage.htm

altis
08-07-2003, 17:48
There is a free download version of PowerDesk but that one doesn't have the FTP bit. Still, it might help you evaluate the other features.

Edit:
That pic you've used. It's from Cambodia isn't it (or perhaps Vietnam)? When I was in my teens I can remember seeing on TV late one night the video of that execution. Pretty horrific - looking back now.

ronald146m
08-07-2003, 18:06

Edit:
That pic you've used. It's from Cambodia isn't it (or perhaps Vietnam)? When I was in my teens I can remember seeing on TV late one night the video of that execution. Pretty horrific - looking back now.

Yes altis

South Vietnamese cop executed suspect Viet Cong.

Caught on film.

Ron
:eek: :eek:

ronald146m
17-07-2003, 20:44
Hi Bop, hi altis

I've found my solution - by accident.:tu:

Do the business with ftp://username etc.

Click 'View'

Click 'Explorer Bar'

Click 'Folders'

All the folders (drives and webspace) then appear down the left hand side of the screen. This is the layout that I wanted to see.

It's not actually using 'Windows Explorer' after all, but 'Internet Explorer'.

Ron

:devsmoke: :devsmoke: