PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Network Node Limit

gary_580
20-02-2004, 13:49
Anyone know where i can find out some information about the limit of mobile connections to a mobile network node.

Im working on a threat management project and in the event of a disaster like 9/11 people seem to think they can rely on the moblie phone network.
Based upon new years eve experiences of trying to make a mobile call i think this is a bad assumption but i need evidence to back it up.

paulyoung666
20-02-2004, 13:56
Anyone know where i can find out some information about the limit of mobile connections to a mobile network node.

Im working on a threat management project and in the event of a disaster like 9/11 people seem to think they can rely on the moblie phone network.
Based upon new years eve experiences of trying to make a mobile call i think this is a bad assumption but i need evidence to back it up.

i just tried putting ' limit of mobile connections to a mobile network node.
' and it brought a **** load of stuff , try it yourself and trawl through it :)

gary_580
20-02-2004, 14:07
i tried that too and didnt find anything useful

paulyoung666
20-02-2004, 14:15
i tried that too and didnt find anything useful

oooooooooooops :(

GeoffW
20-02-2004, 17:18
I don't know the precise answer, but here is a rough one.

Mobile phones work in cells that broadcast a specific frame/frequency with a specific capacity. I think its 12 slots per frame, with voice and data you get 6 voice and 6 data, hence the max gprs data speed you can get is 57.6kb/s, the min is 9.6kb/s per cell. 3G needs a new radio network (with 2.5 times the number of masts) to get the new, increased capacity.

You can keep dividing cells in urban areas to get more capacity, (and add more frames). I'm not sure what the max number of frequencies are or how they divide up as they need to be arranged so they don't interfere.

The rest of the network is hierarchical to deliver the capacity you need mast to BSC to MSC. That about exhausts my knowledge..... :)

Stuartbe
20-02-2004, 17:54
Exept orange that link the cells together. If one tower is busy it will be sent by microwave to the next tower to be connected ect.....

Tricky
20-02-2004, 18:29
Ever wonder why you get cut off sometimes? - well some networks (I know one Very big one that does) allow the corporate organisation with lots of phones priority on cells and therefore if one of the phones attempts a call they bin someone else.

Stuartbe
20-02-2004, 18:34
Ever wonder why you get cut off sometimes? - well some networks (I know one Very big one that does) allow the corporate organisation with lots of phones priority on cells and therefore if one of the phones attempts a call they bin someone else.

True - The only exeption is when you make a 999 call. There is an agrement (part of the licence) that any mast can take a 999 cal and route it. If there is someone using the mast they will be kicked off.

Good idea IMO