PDA

View Full Version : Question: Connecting PS2 via Internet Connection Sharing

paulmorg
19-02-2004, 00:08
Hi, I have a bit of a newbie question that I hope someone will be able to answer.

I have a PS2 and am looking to get the network adaptor to play games online. At the moment, I have the NTL 1MB broadband service that is fed into a linksys BEFSR41 router, that then goes to four PC's (One for each of the students in the house). If I now wanted to connect my PS2 to the router, I will have to disconnect my PC, because the router only has 4 output sockets.

Ideally, I don't want to have to do this. I have read about getting a second Network card for my PC, connecting the PS2 to this and then using ICS to share the connection.

Can someone confirm if it would be possible to do this after the connection has already gone through the router, and if the connection speed is likely to be good enough. The PC's are not heavily used for downloading - mainly just web browsing etc.

Any assistance would be appreciated

Thanks

Paul

Scotty
19-02-2004, 09:31
It's certainly possible and in fact is extremely easy if you are running XP. The downside is that you will need the PC to be turned on in order that can access the web from the PS2.

relifex
23-02-2004, 17:58
One other downside will be if all four connections are being used the upload will be shared therefore you will most probably have a lag, unless you only use the ps when noone else is using the connection

paulmorg
01-03-2004, 00:14
Thanks guys, I have now received all the gear and got it working fine. I have connected the PS2 through my PC using ICS, and as Scotty said it was extremely easy to set up. I have now used it for several hours without any noticable problems, whilst the other PC's have still been used.

Mind you, it took absolutely ages to register with sony using the network access disk. I don't know if this is normally the case or if NTL or Sony were having problems. It felt like I was registering using a 14.4 connection. I got there after a bit of perserverance and a few impatient restarts, but the games all work fine.

Thanks

Paul