PDA

View Full Version : Where do I find my email servers DNS?

zoombini
17-02-2004, 12:11
Taken from http://pacon.free.fr/tips.html & http://welcome.to/autosend
For people who do not want to use their isp smtp server, they can use the built-in SMTP server in Autosend. Just check the "Use in priority the built-in SMTP server" box of the SMTP properties and give your DNS server address. With this information, Autosend can deliver any mail directly to the recipient mailbox. If the built-in SMTP server does not work Autosend will try to send the mail through the SMTP server given in the SMTP properties pane. Sending a mail through the built-in SMTP server can be longer (if there is a problem it will retry...).
Does anyone know if this means that it will not fill up my mailbox & if so where do I find the DNS address?

Clueless..

Stuartbe
17-02-2004, 12:14
Taken from http://pacon.free.fr/tips.html & http://welcome.to/autosend

Does anyone know if this means that it will not fill up my mailbox & if so where do I find the DNS address?

Clueless..

If you are on NTL :-

smtp.ntlworld.com - 62.253.162.40
pop.ntlworld.com - 62.253.162.50

HTH

zoombini
17-02-2004, 13:53
Thankyou.

Now what does this mean to me?

Will emails sent via this not now appear in my online mailbox, thereby bypassing any limits?

Stuartbe
17-02-2004, 14:02
Thankyou.

Now what does this mean to me?

Will emails sent via this not now appear in my online mailbox, thereby bypassing any limits?

I dont know about the software and the mailbox but the above are the dns and ip's of the ntl mailserver...

I am not realy sure of what you are after :confused:

zoombini
17-02-2004, 15:38
What I am after is getting at his program to poll an email server, when it receives an email with a filename in the subject, then email back the file.

However, while doing this, if someone hammers it I do not want to be getting told off by NTL for filling my mailbox etc.

The quote at the top message mentioned something about using the server & given that I dont know what its on about I wanted it clarifying by someone who knows more about this stuff than simple ol me...

Cheers,
Zoombini.

Frank
17-02-2004, 15:39
Erm filesharing via e-mail is a VERY BAD IDEA IMHO. Sending large files via SMTP is only going to clog the bleedin' mail system up and lead to delayed mails. Whichever bright spark thought of this idea should be shot.

Stuartbe
17-02-2004, 15:48
Erm filesharing via e-mail is a VERY BAD IDEA IMHO. Sending large files via SMTP is only going to clog the bleedin' mail system up and lead to delayed mails. Whichever bright spark thought of this idea should be shot.

I agree m8 - SMTP = Server Mail transfer protocol - ftp = File Transfer Protocol...... Does that not tell them something....

zoombini
17-02-2004, 17:47
But it can split them up into small files so no large emails.
Given the amount of SPAM thats flying around, what I have is miniscule in comparison.

My problem is that I have 10gb+ of files to share & I dont want to be using an open to all P2P program.

With these email filesharing programs I can set a limit on who, what & how much can be downloaded thereby preventing massive leeching & email clogging up.
The user does not have to install any programs etc.

I can just have a textual website, detailing the contents & the filename & an email (mailto) link from it. Heck I can even do that from my NTL space.
The bulk of the files kept on my own PC & served from there.

Frank
17-02-2004, 18:31
Er....FTP???? FILE transfer protocol. This can be secured unlike P2P.

zoombini
18-02-2004, 00:16
I cannot use FTP.
I need to be bale to access my files from work & I am behind a intranet/firewall & only have port 80 open for HTTP use.
So I either have my PC running the website & I acess it direct thorough a webpage or something or I use this.

Given the number of people that will have access I doubt I will clog the email system.

Stuartbe
18-02-2004, 00:49
I cannot use FTP.
I need to be bale to access my files from work & I am behind a intranet/firewall & only have port 80 open for HTTP use.
So I either have my PC running the website & I acess it direct thorough a webpage or something or I use this.

Given the number of people that will have access I doubt I will clog the email system.

Even if you have port 80 open it will need to be mapped to your pc as an incoming connection.

If you can do that why cant you map an ftp to your pc and restrict access via ip ???

Frank
18-02-2004, 00:59
Or you could just run an FTP server on port 80?

zoombini
18-02-2004, 12:24
AFAIKR, I CANNOT use FTP.

At work.
I have been told specifically that I CANNOT USE FTP. (ftp://ftp.)
Even if its only on port 80.
FTP is blocked.

There, does that make it clearer now.
I need options other than FTP to transfer some files.
Although I have 10gb of them available, I may only want 10mb a day & then only once a month etc.
They are schematic diagrams & service manuals etc for all sorts of electronic equipment & I want to be able to share these files with a small group of people
(fellow electronic engineers) who are unlikey to need more than 1 file every now & then.
I really want to set the system up to use this email option initially..

Stuartbe
18-02-2004, 12:36
AFAIKR, I CANNOT use FTP.

At work.
I have been told specifically that I CANNOT USE FTP. (ftp://ftp.)
Even if its only on port 80.
FTP is blocked.

There, does that make it clearer now.
I need options other than FTP to transfer some files.
Although I have 10gb of them available, I may only want 10mb a day & then only once a month etc.
They are schematic diagrams & service manuals etc for all sorts of electronic equipment & I want to be able to share these files with a small group of people
(fellow electronic engineers) who are unlikey to need more than 1 file every now & then.
I really want to set the system up to use this email option initially..

A fire wall cannot see the trafic on a port when port forwarding is used. If you have port 80 mapped to your pc then you could in fact use pop,smtp,imap,web,TS,ftp,tftp......you get the idea.....

The port is mearly the method of the connection - It does not dictate the type of trafic that can be used on it !!!!

Paul
18-02-2004, 13:27
I agree m8 - SMTP = Server Mail transfer protocol - ftp = File Transfer Protocol...... Does that not tell them something....

:notopic: Ok, picky time ;) - It's Simple Mail Transfer Protocol :D

Back on topic - I would think it highly unlikely that any firm is going to map incoming ports to a users pc.

zoombini
18-02-2004, 14:48
OK I give up.

I have been fibbing all along it seems.

I just asked IT "again" & getting the more helpful BOFH I am now told that yes, I can do it via port 80.
However, I'm not allowed to install an FTP program at all.

So now how do I do this so I can display my files on a web page that is located on my NTL website & download them from my PC via FTP using the browser only?

Cheers,
Zoom.

zoombini
18-02-2004, 14:49
Totally changing the tack of this thread to one thats been discussed elsewhere... but I started it & its achieving what I originally wanted... so there.. :D

Stuartbe
18-02-2004, 14:54
:notopic: Ok, picky time ;) - It's Simple Mail Transfer Protocol :D

Back on topic - I would think it highly unlikely that any firm is going to map incoming ports to a users pc.

Allright Allright - It was an early morning post - Step outside you :mad: :D

Stuartbe
18-02-2004, 14:56
I think that there is a version of winvnc that supports a web front end. That would work nicely... You could then ftp out from work (if they have not blocked the outgoing ftp ports) to your own mini ftp server.....

Presto.

Paul
18-02-2004, 15:10
Ok, step back a minute - I've got a bit lost about what exactly you are trying to do - can you just recap.

zoombini
18-02-2004, 17:02
OK, I'm a sad git wot collects circuit diagrams & service manuals for TV's, radios, monitors, CD's, DVD's, washing machines etc. I have over 10gb of them (thats many thousand).

I intend to sort them all in to appropriate folders & filenames/formats etc.

Then i want to share them on the internet by using a webpage, that will list them & give simple details on how to download them.
Perhaps by right clicking & using "save as" using IE.

I do not want anyone to be able to leech them from me, thereby screwing up any bandwidth that I have.

I do not want to put them on an ISP's system as I cannot afford a 10gb+ site.

I would like those that download them to me "members" that I can approve, this may be a small member list it may get big.
I dunno.

I intend to store them on a spare drive on my home PC, that is behind a Linksys BSFR42 NAT Router, I want the rest of the PC to be completely secure from any hacking attempts.
Just the defined folders & files available.

I dont want it to cost me anything.
And before anyone says anything about it, I have no qualms about copywright.

I'd like the setup of this to be really easy because I'm an idiot & I dont have a clue about it, so idiots guides are very helpful :D

P.S. Any negative references to myself are purely in jest & no reflection on my real knowledge.

Stuartbe
18-02-2004, 17:11
OK, I'm a sad git wot collects circuit diagrams & service manuals for TV's, radios, monitors, CD's, DVD's, washing machines etc. I have over 10gb of them (thats many thousand).

I intend to sort them all in to appropriate folders & filenames/formats etc.

Then i want to share them on the internet by using a webpage, that will list them & give simple details on how to download them.
Perhaps by right clicking & using "save as" using IE.

I do not want anyone to be able to leech them from me, thereby screwing up any bandwidth that I have.

I do not want to put them on an ISP's system as I cannot afford a 10gb+ site.

I would like those that download them to me "members" that I can approve, this may be a small member list it may get big.
I dunno.

I intend to store them on a spare drive on my home PC, that is behind a Linksys BSFR42 NAT Router, I want the rest of the PC to be completely secure from any hacking attempts.
Just the defined folders & files available.

I dont want it to cost me anything.
And before anyone says anything about it, I have no qualms about copywright.

I'd like the setup of this to be really easy because I'm an idiot & I dont have a clue about it, so idiots guides are very helpful :D

P.S. Any negative references to myself are purely in jest & no reflection on my real knowledge.

:confused: :confused: I thought that you needed access to the files from home to work !!!

If you are going to host them then I suggest a simple web and ftp server. The users can use the web page to register there interest ect. You can then give them an account on the ftp. Bulletproof ftp for example allows you to give users limited bandwidth.so many file that can be downloaded ect....

HTH

zoombini
18-02-2004, 17:30
Initially I did & still do.
I want access to them from at work so I can use them here (we get all sorts to fix, even though we are an R&D department not tv fixers!).

But thats sort of what I want.

So like i said, port 80 is the one that I need to use.
I didnt know that BFTP is a server too? I have that..
Will BFTP allow me to define a user (me at work) to use only port 80?

I still want the index to be web page based.

ntl customer
18-02-2004, 17:37
Quote (bah...the quote button doesn't work) :-

So now how do I do this so I can display my files on a web page that is located on my NTL website & download them from my PC via FTP using the browser only?

Unquote

You can go into the address bar in IE and type ftp://<your.ip.address>:80

If you have set up a password then it will prompt you for your password and username.

The files should then display on the screen as folders or as a list depending on how its been set up.

Or why don't you ask the IT department for some space on their server so you can put your diagrams on for the TV fixing department to use.

Paul
18-02-2004, 18:04
The problem with ftp is that it requires two ports to work, one for data, one for control. You would need port 79 open as well as port 80.

Stuartbe
18-02-2004, 18:31
How about running vnc on the computer at work on port 80 ????

Are you sure that your company have mapped the port to your workstation. ? As pem states its very unusual !!!!!!!

Just becouse you can get out on port 80 it does not mean that you can get in !

zoombini
18-02-2004, 22:34
Well, yes, that may be a problem. They have said that no-one can get IN to us.
Although I will try the port 80 FTP next week.
I'll experiment a bit & see what I can achieve, I may even be able to elicit the help of one of the IT staff as he is a mate...

Stuartbe
19-02-2004, 00:11
Well, yes, that may be a problem. They have said that no-one can get IN to us.
Although I will try the port 80 FTP next week.
I'll experiment a bit & see what I can achieve, I may even be able to elicit the help of one of the IT staff as he is a mate...

You will need an incoming mapping to port 80 or whatever to be able to connect from outside your company... If they wont do this you wont be able to connect period .