PDA

View Full Version : One for all remote control code

nialli
07-07-2003, 13:48
I've just had NTL installed and would like to operate the Pace box from my One-For-All 6 Universal remote.

Does anyone know what the four-digit code is for operating an NTL Pace box?

Martin
07-07-2003, 14:21
If its the same model as mine I couldn't get the code as my box used a different type of infra red signal.:(

nialli
07-07-2003, 17:09
That doesn't sound good. I believe my set top box is a DiTV 2000 or something (it doesn't say it anyway I've noticed).
Are there any universal remotes that work with NTL boxes? The supplied Pace remote is crap

Tristan
07-07-2003, 18:11
Bromley network STBs (like the one you have) do not use standard remote control frequencies (a decision going back long before NTL took control). They signals they use are similar, but not identical to, the IrDA protocol used by laptops and PDAs.

Basically, there are two ways around it. Use an expensive learning remote which can accept IrDA frequencies, or go to www.redeyeremote.co.uk and purchase a device what can translate standard IR commands into the format used by CWC boxes.

Roy MM
07-07-2003, 18:13
Look at the underside of the STB there should be a label with model number on, if you phone the "oneforall" helpline they will tell you if it's compatable.

Tristan
07-07-2003, 18:17
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention about the box model number. Press Page up, page down, blue on your remote. This will bring up lots of diagnotic info. On the third or fourth page, it has the 'hardware type'

A 4000 box can accept normal remote codes, but a 1000, 1000b or 2000 will have to use the methods above.

nialli
07-07-2003, 18:26
actually, looking at the Pace site it looks more like a DiTV 4000...anyone know what the difference is? Mine was fresh out the box and even had the little bit of film protecting the LED.

Tristan
07-07-2003, 18:29
There are quite a few differences between the 2000 and 4000, but most of them are not worth going in to now. The best way to check is to look either on the bottom of the box, or in the menu I mentioned.

IIRC, the Pace site doesn't list all their boxes anyway.

ppolo99
08-07-2003, 00:31
Lift up ya STB and look under. Or Do the Page Up, Page Down, Blue. And you will see
e.g. DiTV 1000

jemnery
08-07-2003, 15:16
My Pace box works with OFA code 0292.

jemnery
08-07-2003, 15:29
Originally posted by jemnery
My Pace box works with OFA code 0292.

Replying to myself here, but should have mentioned that you'll need to use the learning feature of the OFA 6 - for example the "guide" button. The four coloured teletext buttons on the OFA can be trained to emulate the four coloured buttons on the Pace remote too. I use the smaller "outer circle" of arrow buttons on the OFA for up / down in menus, and the center (mute) key as enter / select.

A spot of faffing around, but worth it.

nialli
09-07-2003, 10:07
Turns out my box is a 2000. If it had been a 4000, apparently my universal remote would have worked: this is the reply I got from Pace:

This cable box uses completely different system of I.R. modulation as its primary IR system.

The system used was chosen by our customers ( the network providers ) and is a high speed system that gives some " future proofing " of the design . The system is designed for remote keyboard use ( Web browsing ) and to enable multiple handset to be used " simultaneously " as required when playing
games . This is because at some time in the near future the network providers will offer these services .

"Normal" handsets use a system of modulating (switching on and off ) a carrier signal . The normal frequency of the carrier being in the range of 35kHz to 60kHz..

The system used by Pace uses TWTV protocol which is based on the IRDA standard that has been designed to enable computer peripherals to be linked without cables . ( This is not surprising as modern digital cable set top boxes contain a powerful micro processing systems and the Pace boxes are the
first to also provide an integrated cable modem within the box.) The handset data is transmitted as discrete pulses of IR - it is not carrier based . The pulse rate is approximately 115kHz . The handsets have identification keys / tabs that enable the receiver to identify the handset . Each key sends a 7 byte package of data within 600uSec ( the same time that it taken to send only 1 or 2 bits of information with the normal system ) . This allows the data to be sent very quickly thus freeing time for a second handset to jump in . The receiver software also adds a time stamp to
the data to enable the games programmes to decide which handset responded first . The system and protocols used are covered by patents held by TWO WAY TV LTD .

The latest boxes do however accept RC5 type commands that universal remote will be able to use, the attached file may help and looking at www.remotecentral.com http://www.remotecentral.com> my help.
<<RC5 Codes.txt>>

I hope this answers your query but should you have any further queries
please contact me again.

Best Regards
Customer Front Office
Pace Micro Technology plc

Roy MM
09-07-2003, 10:25
Nice to see a company giving a reply to a query, well done Pace, NTL take note it's called good customer relations.

nialli
09-07-2003, 10:39
I have to say I've had excellent service from NTL so far. Okay, so I only signed up a week ago, but my initial sales enquiry was very well handled, I was offered a number of times for the engineer to visit, and when they came (on time) they left everything working, neat and tidy despite a difficult cable run from the street.

And they waved my installation fee. Very happy customer so far. Except for the bloody awful remote with its tiny buttons!