PDA

View Full Version : ntl Webspace badness

kiwi_uk
15-02-2004, 21:46
Well, I've never had any problems with ntl (apart from when I upgraded to the 1 (apparently) megabit service briefly, it sucked) but now I have, so I thought I'd share it with all you nice people.

I use my ntl webspace to mirror some (important) files for Shareaza.com (file sharing client I help out with). I was very happy until recently - the site gets hit quite a lot and I had no complaints from ntl about traffic or anything. Yay, I thought, 55MB of traffic limit free webspace! What nice people.

Sadly, yesterday they deleted everything (including a nice and unique (ooops) video I had on there of an amusing event, I'll show it you if I get it back). I should have rung them then, and moaned, but I just reuploaded the stuff and this morning... access denied. Fun fun fun fun. Sadly, customer services :rofl: were closed so I'll have to wait till tommorow to bitch.

Anyhoo, so ends the current chapter of my story. Ill probably post what goes through on the phone. Does anyone know any freephone numbers that go straight to a relevant department? I think Ill ring 151 and go from there. I dont know if I can afford a long local rate call :wavey:

Have a merry evening.

lemarsh
15-02-2004, 21:51
Well, I've never had any problems with ntl (apart from when I upgraded to the 1 (apparently) megabit service briefly, it sucked) but now I have, so I thought I'd share it with all you nice people.

I use my ntl webspace to mirror some (important) files for Shareaza.com (file sharing client I help out with). I was very happy until recently - the site gets hit quite a lot and I had no complaints from ntl about traffic or anything. Yay, I thought, 55MB of traffic limit free webspace! What nice people.

Sadly, yesterday they deleted everything (including a nice and unique (ooops) video I had on there of an amusing event, I'll show it you if I get it back). I should have rung them then, and moaned, but I just reuploaded the stuff and this morning... access denied. Fun fun fun fun. Sadly, customer services :rofl: were closed so I'll have to wait till tommorow to bitch.

Anyhoo, so ends the current chapter of my story. Ill probably post what goes through on the phone. Does anyone know any freephone numbers that go straight to a relevant department? I think Ill ring 151 and go from there. I dont know if I can afford a long local rate call :wavey:

Have a merry evening.
Welcome - :wavey:

I always ring 0800 052 2000 regardless of the problem, and then let them transfer me.

I suspect you are not going to win the argument (against terms & conditions tc), but they should have advised you of the actions they were going to take.

kiwi_uk
15-02-2004, 21:54
Damn straight they should have!

But uh oh, I havnt read the T&C :) Any chance you can reference the clause I have violated? I will look now anyway.

Thanks,

Jon

kiwi_uk
15-02-2004, 21:58
If your website generates abnormally high hit levels or generates abnormally high levels of network traffic, we may at our discretion move it and/or restrict access to it and you shall be liable for any additional charges arising from our action. This may include but is not limited to suspending your Internet access.
I guess its that one :) Sadly, ntl provide no way of monitoring how much traffic my webspace is using, so how do they expect us to know?

Paul K
15-02-2004, 22:14
Damn straight they should have!

But uh oh, I havnt read the T&C :) Any chance you can reference the clause I have violated? I will look now anyway.

Thanks,

Jon
err how about:
http://www.ntlhome.com/legals/userpolicy.html

10. Copyright and Third Party Rights

Any images, photographs, articles, pages, designs, drawings, software, music, information and other materials published on the Internet and the Services are protected by copyright. Publishing material on the Internet and on the Services does not mean it is available for anyone to copy. Unless the owner of that copyright specifically states that you may copy the work, you should assume that you cannot.

It is an infringement of copyright to copy, reproduce, adapt, translate, broadcast or perform copyright protected material without permission, to make infringing copies available to the public or otherwise to knowingly deal in infringing copies.

The Services must not be used, directly or indirectly, to transmit, publish, link to or otherwise make available any confidential information or trade secrets of any person or entity.

kiwi_uk
15-02-2004, 22:23
I don't see how that is related. I was not breaking any copyrights. All the material there was mine, or there by permission (and request) of the Author.

Paul
16-02-2004, 00:13
Whatever the reason there is no excuse for deleting it without contacting you first - assuming, of course, that they did and it's not some error.

kiwi_uk
16-02-2004, 11:33
After speaking to the "Technical Support" people I now know that I have breached the Acceptable Use policy, the guy said a note was left attached to my account.

Apparently, I now have to wait for whatever deparment it is to contact me, because there is no phone number for me to get in contact with them. I got an email address, abuse@ntlworld.com, but I don't hold much hope of a reply.

Doh.

Nikko
16-02-2004, 11:45
I am sure if you send an email it will be looked at - AUP are on the ball, include a phone number if possible, perhaps?

I think a couple of people in that department cruise this site periodically, so you may get some feedback thru here.

bob_a_builder
16-02-2004, 12:32
I now know that I have breached the Acceptable Use policy
In what way, you said files were all legit ?
If bandwidth, how can you tell ?

Stuartbe
16-02-2004, 12:39
In what way, you said files were all legit ?
If bandwidth, how can you tell ?

Maybe he made the hamster break into a sweat :D

Are you sure that all the files were your property ??

kiwi_uk
16-02-2004, 17:29
I'm 99.9999999999% sure that all the files were legit. Even if one of them wasnt, deleting everything on my space is not an appropriate response.

I believe it was bandwidth because when they took it offline, I redirected the people wanting the file to some webspace I pay for. In about 5 hours, my entire transfer limit for this month had been reached - 10GB, 5 hours. I did some sums (possibly incorrectly) and got that at about 1500GB/month assuming that 5 hours was a good sample of the traffic all the time, which it isnt, so 1500GB give or take a few hundred GB.

I think thats why it was classed as unnaceptable. I have, however, been using the space for well over a year and the traffic now isnt so different from a month or 3 or ago, as far as I know.

Hum. Ill have to make alternate arrangments I guess :)

Jon

br3ach
16-02-2004, 18:19
Welcome - :wavey:

I always ring 0800 052 2000 regardless of the problem, and then let them transfer me.

I suspect you are not going to win the argument (against terms & conditions tc), but they should have advised you of the actions they were going to take.
Thats all ver well if you are prepared to only get support between 8am and 8pm

If you need support outside of these hours then you need to call the direct support number, 0845 650 0121 8am - 12pm...

kiwi_uk
16-02-2004, 18:52
Nice laptop :)

br3ach
16-02-2004, 18:53
Nice laptop :)

kiwi_uk
18-02-2004, 16:35
Well, sorted now. The AUP people phoned me up and told me what had happened. It was something similar to what I had expected due to the incident with my other webspace.

The guy (Paul, very helpful) said that this particular file had been getting 2093/hits per minute on average, at peak times. The file is 2.8MB in size. I cannot believe that is the truth, he must have meant per hour, or even per day. Either way, it was using rather large amounts of bandwidth. Apparently it had negative effects on three servers in wherever this stuff is hosted - clustered I suppose.

Oh well! Can anyone recommomend somewhere that does dirt cheap bandwidth - no frills? Just FTP and HTTP access - no PHP, databases or other such things.

Now its all sorted, its all good. I doesn't look like I'm going to get the files back (not even the one I wanted) so I'm a bit upset about that, but considering I'm not footing the bill for the bandwidth, I won't be causing any hassle about that.

Thanks,

Jon

SMHarman
18-02-2004, 17:35
Well, sorted now. The AUP people phoned me up and told me what had happened. It was something similar to what I had expected due to the incident with my other webspace.

The guy (Paul, very helpful) said that this particular file had been getting 2093/hits per minute on average, at peak times. The file is 2.8MB in size. I cannot believe that is the truth, he must have meant per hour, or even per day. Either way, it was using rather large amounts of bandwidth. Apparently it had negative effects on three servers in wherever this stuff is hosted - clustered I suppose.

Oh well! Can anyone recommomend somewhere that does dirt cheap bandwidth - no frills? Just FTP and HTTP access - no PHP, databases or other such things.

Now its all sorted, its all good. I doesn't look like I'm going to get the files back (not even the one I wanted) so I'm a bit upset about that, but considering I'm not footing the bill for the bandwidth, I won't be causing any hassle about that.

Thanks,

Jon

If it got that many hits, then there are a good 62,000 peeps an hour that may be able to send a copy back to you!

kiwi_uk
18-02-2004, 18:54
Not the same file I'm afraid :(

jellybabygm
23-03-2004, 11:09
Does anyone know what the bandwidth limit is on NTL? :scratch:

poolking
23-03-2004, 12:19
Does anyone know what the bandwidth limit is on NTL? :scratch:
1k per year. :D