PDA

View Full Version : Freedom reducing connection speed

rutland
07-07-2003, 11:55
I made the mistake of installing the Freedom software, whereupon my connection speed dropped from 48000 to 37333. I uninstalled the freedom software and went back to the old 0800 number, but no improvement. I have used regcleaner and removed all references to freedom, but still no return to the old connection speed.

Has anyone else had this problem and if they have have they solved it, or does anyone have any suggestions please?

:mad:

imback
07-07-2003, 11:58
I would think it's purley conincidental as Freedom doesn't really put anything on your PC.

Someone posted a similar kind of thing on .com only their speeds halved, it turned out to be something BT had done to the line.

Martin
07-07-2003, 14:04
When I was on dial up my connections speed was always up and down.

rutland
07-07-2003, 16:16
Mine has always been consistent, now its consistently Down!

I will pursue BT, but they will deny any responsibility I fear.

TBH1
16-07-2003, 01:25
any joy with BT mate - - - -same thing appears to be happening to me, though can never beat 33,600 - - -bin as low as 21,600 - - - -progress eh ???

rutland
16-07-2003, 08:40
Haven't had time yet, although I tried signing up to another ISP and still got the same connection speed. Whether this means it is BT's fault, or that the Freedom software has 'modified' my machine in some way, I don't know. Did your speed drop start with the installation of Freedom?

TBH1
16-07-2003, 12:26
I don't think its ntl:freedom - - - I have used btopenworld and tiscali with same speed. I only noticed the speeds last weekend so am convinced its down to BT - - I have written email to them and am waiting for a reply before I phone them.
From what I have read I think that a DACS thingy has been put on my line; apparantly they can do this without as much as a 'by-your-leave' - - -this effectively puts a max speed of 33,600 on connection. I have a thread re this on the other 2 forums ( can I say that ??) - - -will update all when I get some kind of answer.
Take it easy - -

darkangel
16-07-2003, 13:35
Originally posted by TBH1
I don't think its ntl:freedom - - - I have used btopenworld and tiscali with same speed. I only noticed the speeds last weekend so am convinced its down to BT - - I have written email to them and am waiting for a reply before I phone them.
From what I have read I think that a DACS thingy has been put on my line; apparantly they can do this without as much as a 'by-your-leave' - - -this effectively puts a max speed of 33,600 on connection. I have a thread re this on the other 2 forums ( can I say that ??) - - -will update all when I get some kind of answer.
Take it easy - - it also means u can't get adsl if they've installed a dax unit the only reason the will remove it is if it's affecting voice calls, they'll dax the line if the have no spare points left at the exchange this effectively cuts the line bandwidth in half.
P.s bt only guarantee u 9600bps on a residential voice line

TBH1
16-07-2003, 13:53
being an utter cynic - - and probably paranoid as well ( who said that ???), I was thinking for a moment or two that this was BT's way of pursuading people to go to broadband - - -reading post above I got that wrong.
Am I to believe that surfing the net at greater than 40000 is a thing of the past ? And probably diddly-squat I can do about it.