PDA

View Full Version : MAME - Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator

Nemesis
14-02-2004, 15:59
For those nostalgia buffs out there ...

MAME is the answer ...

The PC emulator uses the original ROMs supplied by the people like ATARI, NAMCO, etc and allows you to play the original arcade games on the PC.

http://www.mame.net/

Is where is all started ... and you can find links to the ROMS ...

http://www.mameromlinks.com/modules.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=viewlink&cid=1

but be careful ... lots of p0rn links

I have LOADS of the ROMS (100+) so if your interested then PM me. :D

you can search google for MAME or MAMEW (Windows version)

Marge
14-02-2004, 16:03
Nemmy, you darling :tu: :kiss:

Tricky
14-02-2004, 16:10
Just remember it's illegal to own the roms unless you actually have the machine/licence. great piece of software though - Mr. Do anyone...

Nemesis
14-02-2004, 16:17
Just remember it's illegal to own the roms unless you actually have the machine/licence. great piece of software though - Mr. Do anyone...
Tricky is right of course .....

zendawn
14-02-2004, 16:51
I've been thinking of giving it a try. Will my p333 64mb be able to run it?
Also can you point me to the self installing version, as I'm not sure which is which?

Thanks in advance

danielf
14-02-2004, 16:57
Aah, Yes, I remember playing MoonCrest on that a few years back.

We used to play it in a local chippie as kids. Plying the ROM, made me smell the chippie again :)

danielf
14-02-2004, 16:59
I've been thinking of giving it a try. Will my p333 64mb be able to run it?
Thanks in advance

Should be no problem. I played them on a p90. I think your machine being too fast could be more of an issue ;)

zendawn
14-02-2004, 17:09
Should be no problem. I played them on a p90. I think your machine being too fast could be more of an issue ;)

Oh thats great, Just been looking at some of the games you can get, what a trip down memory lane.

Its amazing how far computer technology has come, when a mere p333 can play most of the old arcade games.

Tricky
14-02-2004, 17:11
Oh thats great, Just been looking at some of the games you can get, what a trip down memory lane.

Its amazing how far computer technology has come, when a mere p333 can play most of the old arcade games.

Even better when the majority of arcade machines were built around the Z80 processor AFAIK?

zendawn
14-02-2004, 17:28
Even better when the majority of arcade machines were built around the Z80 processor AFAIK?

Wasn't that the chip used in most 8bit computers like the ZX spectrum? Which was later surpassed by the RISC chip?

Donkey_Oatey
14-02-2004, 17:34
Getting some of them to work properly can be a trial....why not plug in your Commodore and play the real thing I do (yes I know I'm sad) :)

Flubflow
14-02-2004, 18:20
Thanks for reminding me. I almost forgot I've had Mame32 for ages.
My favs are Defender, Missile Command, Star Wars, R-Type.

Also try the MGE (Multi Gauntlet Emulator). MGE is just the interpreter/front end. You need the Gauntlet I or II ROMS from somewhere. Gaunlet is my fav - especially with four players. "blue wizzard has shot the food", "red warrior needs food badly". ;)

zendawn
14-02-2004, 19:31
Thanks for reminding me. I almost forgot I've had Mame32 for ages.
My favs are Defender, Missile Command, Star Wars, R-Type.
". ;)

Oh yeah if it can do Defender that would be great. The best computer version was on the BBC Micro, the ZX Spectrum didnt have anything as good.

zendawn
14-02-2004, 21:30
WOW just played 'Defender', as good as I remembered it. :)

Great fun. Tempest next.

Kneebs
14-02-2004, 21:48
Ahhhhh, spent many a day or two bringing back my (not so distant !!) youth playing mame, even went so far as to start building my own arcade controller - If you're wanting a particular game rom, PM me, and tell me you own the original game board ;), and i should be able to sort you out with the rom - I've got almost 8 gigs worth (4612 roms), and well, of course I own all the original boards ;)

Stuartbe
14-02-2004, 22:12
Oh yeah if it can do Defender that would be great. The best computer version was on the BBC Micro, the ZX Spectrum didnt have anything as good.

Donkey Kong and repton for me --- Fantastic !!! :)

Kneebs
14-02-2004, 22:19
My personal favs were pacland, ghosts 'n' goblins, rygar, metrocross, and especially wonder boy in monster land - I remember the first time I 'clocked' it - there I was, with about 15 people standing round me....no pressure or anything! And I must only have about 11 or so at the time !!

gary_580
14-02-2004, 22:37
For those nostalgia buffs out there ...

I have LOADS of the ROMS (100+) so if your interested then PM me. :D

you can search google for MAME or MAMEW (Windows version)

if your interested i have about 2000 roms

gary_580
14-02-2004, 22:41

is that true when the machines are available for sale anymore?

lemarsh
14-02-2004, 23:01
OK - I'm confused (it is late).
I have downloaded the Mame file - and saved it into a directory called mame. Does this need to be run in any way (e.g. setup)

I presumed that I needed to open a CMD box (done), and then, according to the documentation, and my reading of it, I need to go to the main directory, and type in MAME and the name of the game (downloaded invaders (in zip format) into directory roms.

Get the error message 'mame is not a recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file'

Any suggestions on what i am doing wrong.

As for the comments from nemesis, are they easy to find and download, or can we cheat and ask people who have them if they can send them to us (and if so, how).

Thanks (in anticipation....)

Lee

danielf
14-02-2004, 23:06
I have downloaded the Mame file - and saved it into a directory called mame. Does this need to be run in any way (e.g. setup)

I presumed that I needed to open a CMD box (done), and then, according to the documentation, and my reading of it, I need to go to the main directory, and type in MAME and the name of the game (downloaded invaders (in zip format) into directory roms.

Get the error message 'mame is not a recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file'

As for the comments from nemesis, are they easy to find and download, or can we cheat and ask people who have them if they can send them to us (and if so, how).

Lee

I haven't downloaded the program, but the error message suggests that you're trying to run an executable that isn't there.

Regarding your last question. When I played them a couple of years ago, the ROMs where dead easy to find on the web. I'd be surprised if that has changed much...

Kneebs
14-02-2004, 23:07

Lee

After opening the command window (running cmd), did you change to the directory where you extracted mame - the mame you downloaded will more than likely have been a zip / installer file - sorry if i'm stating the obvious, but i take it you've unzipped the file / ran the installer ?

To make double sure, check the 'mame' directory using windows explorer, and check to see if there's a mame.exe file

lemarsh
14-02-2004, 23:14
After opening the command window (running cmd), did you change to the directory where you extracted mame - the mame you downloaded will more than likely have been a zip / installer file - sorry if i'm stating the obvious, but i take it you've unzipped the file / ran the installer ?

To make double sure, check the 'mame' directory using windows explorer, and check to see if there's a mame.exe file
OK - found that the file - but it is called mamepp.

Have run it, and now get the error message that it cannot find the files invaders.h, .g, .e & .f (invaders in front of each).

Will go back to look at the documentation again

zendawn
14-02-2004, 23:16

I who have them if they can send them to us (and if so, how).

Lee

Try this site, I had trouble installing it too but the site below helped.

http://www.mameworld.net/easyemu/mameinstall.htm

zendawn
14-02-2004, 23:18
Donkey Kong and repton for me --- Fantastic !!! :)

Yeah I was just playing Donkey Kong, looks just as good on my pc as in the arcades. I can only play the old games tho, tried Tekken but it was having none of it. oh well nice trip down memory (pun) lane :)

Kneebs
14-02-2004, 23:21
OK - found that the file - but it is called mamepp.

Have run it, and now get the error message that it cannot find the files invaders.h, .g, .e & .f (invaders in front of each).

Will go back to look at the documentation again

Double check that the invaders.zip file is stored in the subfolder 'roms' within the mame directory - eg your mamepp.exe is in "D:\mame", and your invaders.zip is in "D:\mame\roms"

lemarsh
14-02-2004, 23:58
OK, head hurting now.

Yes, the ZIP files are in the right directory (am presuming that they can be in the c directory, as opposed to the D).

I have tried a number of ROMS, downloaded, and they seem to be very small in size (e.g. 20kb).

I am convinved these cannot be right - is there any chance that someone could send me 1 correctly working ROM, so I can work with thism knowing it works.

Thanks Lee

Kneebs
15-02-2004, 01:10
OK, head hurting now.

Yes, the ZIP files are in the right directory (am presuming that they can be in the c directory, as opposed to the D).

I have tried a number of ROMS, downloaded, and they seem to be very small in size (e.g. 20kb).

I am convinved these cannot be right - is there any chance that someone could send me 1 correctly working ROM, so I can work with thism knowing it works.

Thanks Lee

Here lies the main problem with MAME - there are different versions of mame, and because of this, different versions of ROMS :( if you've downloaded the latest mame, which is v .79 the roms I have should be ok...check your PM...

PS, 20 KB is OK for the filesize - there are some really old games that are only 1KB in size !!!

zendawn
15-02-2004, 02:02
Here lies the main problem with MAME - there are different versions of mame, and because of this, different versions of ROMS :( if you've downloaded the latest mame, which is v .79 the roms I have should be ok...check your PM...

PS, 20 KB is OK for the filesize - there are some really old games that are only 1KB in size !!!

When you get roms that are in sets eg Tetris (set1) and Tetris(set2), are you supposed to download both?
Some of the roms wont run, stating that files are missing.
Asteriods runs a bit slow on this machine, but Frogger is great.

Graham
15-02-2004, 03:04
First question: Why's this in Humour?! I almost missed it until I noticed the reference to Mame! Can someone shift it to a more appropriate forum please.

Anyway, the problem with missing files is often that some versions of roms only have "updated" versions of the game instead of the full version, so it may be necessary to download several different zipped versions until you find the one that has the right files in.

If you right click on a rom image in the emulator and select properties/ audit it will tell you if any files are missing.

Annoyingly some games (eg Road Blasters and Spy Hunter) won't work or completely over-react with standard joysticks (Spy Hunter either won't steer or immediately slams across the other side of the road and crashes, no matter how you tweak the input levels). Also games like Tail Gunner which originally used a proportional joystick can't handle analogue inputs :(

Still, apart from that, it's great to be able to blast away on games like Xevious and R-Type that I spent so much time on in my mis-spent youth!

bopdude
15-02-2004, 09:10
As I remember from my m.a.m.e fumblings, once you have d\l and instaled some roms into the roms folder within the mame dir you have to open the emulator via the " mame 32 " icon within the mame dir, once you have the emulator window open click the available games tag, this should then bring up an empty list, press f5 to refresh the list and any and all games that you have in the roms folder should appear ..............

Hope this helps some of you that are having problems ... long live Shinobi :) :pp

paulyoung666
15-02-2004, 18:26
and just a little tip for all those unsuspecting ppl out there , dont go hunting for roms on p2p , last time i did there were so many infected files it was almost beyond belief :mad:

Nemesis
16-02-2004, 08:44
Sorry, I've not been around, been busy this weekend.

I'm gonna see if I can zip up my main MAME (and MAMEW) directories and make them available for you lot.

The ROMS too, but I only have a small collection of the ones I liked ... Space Invaders, 1942, Frogger, etc etc.

Will take a few days to get it all together, but patience :D

lemarsh
16-02-2004, 12:35
What would be really good would be if an area within this site could be set up, where we could all upload the ROMS we had, so that they could be made available to all users.

Probably would suggest that only registered users could access this area (1 to increase registered users, and 2 ensure we do not just get flooded from non-users just after ROMS).

Would this be possible/wanted?

zoombini
16-02-2004, 13:01
I have a CD containing this & many hundreds of games, the kids used to love it, we went through many copies of the CD while playing it.

Wellw orth the time to get the ROM's & make a CD full.

Nemesis
16-02-2004, 13:26
What would be really good would be if an area within this site could be set up, where we could all upload the ROMS we had, so that they could be made available to all users.

Probably would suggest that only registered users could access this area (1 to increase registered users, and 2 ensure we do not just get flooded from non-users just after ROMS).

Would this be possible/wanted?
Small problem with this in that to 'officially" use the ROMS, you must already own the machine .... using this site would potentially put them under the spotlight.

Ramrod
16-02-2004, 15:36
Small problem with this in that to 'officially" use the ROMS, you must already own the machine .... using this site would potentially put them under the spotlight.Thats what I was going to say. I thought that mame roms were technically illegal if used without the permission of the owners. However (http://www.arcadeshopper.com/emulation/faq.htm).....