PDA

View Full Version : Name that tune... PLEASE!

Dupre
13-02-2004, 22:50
im a guitarist (a modestly good one) i head a muddy waters song in the soundtrack to School of Rock, and ive no idea what its called in order to find the tab to learn it...

ive posted what i can play, but ofcourse the rest is wanted ;-) anyone know it?

Song (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dupre2000/unknownsong.mp3)

Kneebs
13-02-2004, 23:10
Soundtrack listing - no muddy waters song though :shrug:

1. School Of Rock - School of Rock
2. "Your Head And Your Mind And Your Brain" - Film Excerpt
3. Substitute - The Who
4. Fight - No Vacancy
5. Touch Me - The Doors
6. "I Pledge Allegiance To The Band..." - Film Excerpt
7. Sunshine of Your Love - Cream
8. Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin
9. Set You Free - The Black Keys
10. Edge of Seventeen - Stevie Nicks
11. Heal Me, I'm Heartsick - No Vacancy
12. Growing On Me - The Darkness
13. Ballrooms Of Mars - T-Rex
14. "Those Who Can Do..." - Film Excerpt
15. My Brain is Hanging Upside Down (Bonzo Goes to Bitburg) - The Ramones
16. T.V. Eye - Wylde Rattz
17. It's a Long Way to the Top - School of Rock

Dupre
13-02-2004, 23:19
trust me, its in the film...

Kneebs
13-02-2004, 23:23
maybe The muddy waters song list (http://www.muddywaters.com/songlist.html) will jog your memory ?

Dupre
13-02-2004, 23:31
it would do if i knew what the song was called in the 1st place.

trebor
13-02-2004, 23:47
sounds a little like brownsville station, martian boogie, but I could be wrong

Marge
14-02-2004, 00:00
Might be me being thick but was that you playing that there tune Dupre :eek:

Not that I have the slightest idea what the tune is :erm:

Dupre
14-02-2004, 00:08
twas

Marge
14-02-2004, 00:13
twas

bluddy hell, i'm very impressed ;)

danielf
14-02-2004, 00:20
Yes, it was very good. (Dupre's guitar skills that is)

The only thing that came to my mind was Norman Greenbaum's Spirit in the Sky, but that is probably my poor musical skills.

Dupre
14-02-2004, 00:33
only stormin norman? what about doctor and the medics? thats the only version they seem to play on VH1.

bopdude
14-02-2004, 00:36
sounds t me like " spirit in the sky " :shrug: could be wrong ????

Dupre
14-02-2004, 00:37
oh, and dont laugh TOO much but heres me singing too ;-)

Song (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dupre2000/one.mp3)

Marge
14-02-2004, 00:44
oh, and dont laugh TOO much but heres me singing too ;-)

Song (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dupre2000/one.mp3)

Before I listen to it, is it "you'll never walk alone or ferry cross the mersey" ????

Dupre
14-02-2004, 00:46
Fu... or is it Foo ? ;-)

Marge
14-02-2004, 00:51
Fu... or is it Foo ? ;-)

:rofl: actually having listened to it, very very good. Actually a lot better than some of the ****e you see/hear on the tv, methinks Dupre could make a name for himself ;)

Now how does it go, life goes on day after day..........

Dupre
14-02-2004, 00:52
lol i was intending one day to make a name for myself... but more of a harold shipman, than a george harrison.

danielf
14-02-2004, 01:02
only stormin norman? what about doctor and the medics? thats the only version they seem to play on VH1.

When it comes to name the song, I prefer to name the original.

Regarding the second sample, I thought that was really good. You really have a very pleasant voice. You're off key occasionally, and a little more volume would be nice (as in 'it sounds like this bloke has a little in reserve), but I think there's a lot of potential there.

My sincere apologies if you've been taking singing lessons for ages. :)

Dupre
14-02-2004, 01:05
you want more? theres always this

Song (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dupre2000/freebird.mp3)

danielf
14-02-2004, 01:17

Song (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dupre2000/free.mp3)

I was looking forward to listening to it, but I get 'page not found'...

Dupre
14-02-2004, 01:25
updated, take into account they're over a year old now too ;-) i just cba recording anything new.

Marge
14-02-2004, 01:33
So Dupre, are you in a band or just muck about??

Dupre
14-02-2004, 01:36
ive been in a couple, i just muck around now... its hard to find people wanting to play stuff from the beatles/Traveling Wilburys (no, really) to White Stripes and The Darkness.. i have a wide mix of musical tastes, and im very inconsistant, sometimes i can play ok, othertimes i just plain suck :( thats why im no longer in a band.

hoggyspuds
14-02-2004, 01:43
im a guitarist (a modestly good one) i head a muddy waters song in the soundtrack to School of Rock, and ive no idea what its called in order to find the tab to learn it...

ive posted what i can play, but ofcourse the rest is wanted ;-) anyone know it?

Song (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dupre2000/unknownsong.mp3)
sounds a bit like "the grange by zz top"

or is it la grange?..........it's a bit late and too many guinness

danielf
14-02-2004, 01:43
updated, take into account they're over a year old now too ;-) i just cba recording anything new.

Apologies for the volume comment, you've got plenty of it. As for off key, I'm a Will Oldham fan (whom I suspect you'll have heard off), and it sounds like you're a better singer than he is.

If you manage to churn out a couple of good songs, I might be tempted to buy your cd. Serious. (Though I should add I'm one of those few lo-fi fans out there). I really enjoyed that.

Dupre
14-02-2004, 01:54
lol im quite the opposite, im into my technology, i have a £500 surround system, made from individual units, using Hi-Fi speakers, not those crappy little things you get with sony type systems in the highstreet ;-)

and you should see the looks i get in my car, most people who drive the decent Saxo's are Scallies and listen to Sh.t like ministry of sound...

They get a shock when Clapton, Led Zep or system of a down is blasting out ;-)

danielf
14-02-2004, 02:14
lol im quite the opposite, im into my technology, i have a £500 surround system, made from individual units, using Hi-Fi speakers, not those crappy little things you get with sony type systems in the highstreet ;-)

and you should see the looks i get in my car, most people who drive the decent Saxo's are Scallies and listen to Sh.t like ministry of sound...

What I meant was I really enjoy one man, his guitar (electric or acoustic, but I prefer acoustic these days) and his voice. Recordings might be crappy, and it all sounds rather unpolished, but I think that has a charm of its own. You can make lo-fi music on high end systems :) Main thing is: it's not overly produced, so the intimacy of the man and his guitar remains...

I listen to lo-fi music on £150 a piece speakers

Marge
14-02-2004, 02:20
Shall we enter Dupre in the Eurovision ;)

Dupre
14-02-2004, 02:21
cant be worse than gemini (i didnt watch it, i saw it on 100 worst TV moments of 2003)

Stuart
14-02-2004, 02:27
cant be worse than gemini (i didnt watch it, i saw it on 100 worst TV moments of 2003)
Dupre, you could go on stage, turn the mike off, fart, and still score more than Gemini...

Dupre
14-02-2004, 02:32
lol... i dunno if thats an insult or what.

Nikko
14-02-2004, 02:33
you should see the looks i get in my car, most people who drive the decent Saxo's are Scallies and listen to Sh.t like ministry of sound...

Yeah its fun to have a Floyd bassline (thanks Roger) pulsating the car on the interlude passages on a high volume setting - heads turn - and then Gilmour lets rip...............

Stuart
14-02-2004, 02:35

Actually, I am heavily into tech. I have a £500 surround system made up entirely of seperates, using proper (well, Wharfedale, but they may be upgraded soon) speakers.

I still remember, however, that one of the most amazing things I heard was this:

I had gone (with my then Girlfriend) to see the Pet Shop Boys back in about 91. Neil Tennant walked on stage, sung "Always on my Mind", and just accompanied himself with an accoustic guitar. No drums, No synths. It did sound amazing though (almost as good as the Elvis Original).

Dupre
14-02-2004, 02:42
:) i just dont put the effort in, theres generally only me that hears my singing, so it just stays as crap as that...

as for systems, try a Sherwood, 7.1 surround sound with some REALLY nice speakers, didnt have enough spare cash for a sub, but with everything goin through 1x Audigy 2 ZS (disappointing), AND an M-Audio card in my PC (helps for multiple sourcing stuff) but the M-Audio does REAL 24bit audio output so that connects to my system via optical out :-D

Marge
14-02-2004, 02:44
Dupre, you could go on stage, turn the mike off, fart, and still score more than Gemini...

Could do "The wind beneath my wings" ;)

Graham
14-02-2004, 03:06

Dupre, it's nice, it needs some work, but, *PLEASE* could you check the guitar is in tune before you start?! :Peaceman:

Sorry, I'm not trying to criticise, but I had to stop both of the latter mp3s short because there were some duff notes in there that really set my teeth on edge!