PDA

View Full Version : xbox linux exploit released

kronas
07-07-2003, 02:36
it seems the method of loading xbox linux to a retail xbox has come true the team behind the hack waited a month after contacting microsoft repeatdly warning them they would go public about the exploit if they refused to legally 'sign' linux for the xbox

now the information has been released after MS failed to contact them this means you can run a version of linux on your xbox without a need for a modchip or even open your xbox console

http://slashdot.org/articles/03/07/04/0521245.shtml?tid=106&tid=127&tid=185&tid=186&tid=211

note i have refrained from posting a link about the hack as it shows the code etc and goes in to detail dont want to risk a ban :)

HappyHiker
07-07-2003, 11:51
Is it just me ? But why the h*ll would I want to run linux on my xbox ? :shrug:

This is not a good thing, it might open the door to cheating on Live. I suppose it could be used to pirate software, but to be honest I'm quite happy to pay £29.99 for a top game (I got MM3 for £29.99 on release day from Game's web site)

Which ever sado's spent months of their lives working out how to do this, really should get out more, may be get a girlfriend, go to a bar occasionally, h*ll just go out in the sun light at weekends....

Okay, now I've probably opened myself up for a lot of flamin here, but I don't give a stuff. Bring it on..

fluds
07-07-2003, 12:04
Not possitive but I think that the way they do it could possibly only last till MS release the new dashboard in the fall.
Live is my worry at the moment to although it is a bit of a techy only thing I suspect.
They would ahve release dit anyway, fancy thinking MS would bow down to anybody doing this type of thing, how arrogant can a group of people be.
Personally I find it hard to believe MS have not got people trying to break into the Xbox and Live on the payroll. They more than likely knew about this for ages but obvoisly do not disclose it.
IMO.

Stuart
07-07-2003, 13:47
While I agree that technically, it is an interesting project, remember that Microsoft do NOT make a profit on the Xbox itself (in fact they make a loss), but they do make profits from the sales of the games.

Releasing this patch will (IMO) harm the Xbox because it makes it easy for people to pirate software, and will reduce the income for the software developers. If their income drops, what incentive is there to develop for the XBOX?

At least with the Hardware Mods the fact that the Hardware needs to be modified, there by invalidating the warranty caused some people to think twice.

Tezcatlipoca
07-07-2003, 19:58
This does seem worrying. The details of the hack say that it doesn't just enable Linux to be run - it allows any unsigned code to be run, including "backups" & homebrew apps. Plus it lets you still use Live, as there are no hardware mods, & so the BIOS isn't changed.

kronas
07-07-2003, 20:16
Originally posted by Tezcatlipoca
This does seem worrying. The details of the hack say that it doesn't just enable Linux to be run - it allows any unsigned code to be run, including "backups" & homebrew apps. Plus it lets you still use Live, as there are no hardware mods, & so the BIOS isn't changed.

yep the above is correct the author has NOT released the code to enable 'backups' to be played but has said a modification to it will allow them to work there is no major worry about live to MS what is a worry is about 'backups' being booted without modification just because the xbox does not check the .wav and .xtf files for authentication means you can run your custom code

BenH
07-07-2003, 21:04
Is it just me ? But why the h*ll would I want to run linux on my xbox ?

Simple, Microsoft have kindly provided a subsidised (to the tune of $150) PC. 700Mhz, 10Gig HD (in earlier models) nVidia chipset and all for £120.

They make perfect thin client and cluster boxes and should make reasonable low traffic webservers. Also you can stick WineX onto them and play games without having to cough up the M$ licensing fee.

Regards,

BenH

Defiant
07-07-2003, 21:27
Originally posted by kronas
yep the above is correct the author has NOT released the code

Wrong I've seen it ;)

Never bothered with it of couse as I don't have an XBOX (black pc with an x on it)

kronas
07-07-2003, 21:53
Originally posted by Defiant
Wrong I've seen it ;)

i said.........

yep the above is correct the author has NOT released the code to enable 'backups' to be played but has said a modification to it will allow them to work

i have not seen it if it is out the code to actually enable backups not the method to run linux ?

cjll3
07-07-2003, 23:35
Originally posted by HappyHiker
Is it just me ? But why the h*ll would I want to run linux on my xbox ? :shrug:

Those boxes make ideal web servers, you trying buying a PC for the same price.

The implecation is that you no longer have to go to Microsoft to get your software signed, thus anybody can release code (games) that'll run on an x-box.

Dupre
08-07-2003, 02:54
what everyone overlooks is that you need a degree in computing to be able to pull it off without faults occuring, and also M$ released a patch from what ive read that stops you using Free-X on live!

kronas
08-07-2003, 02:58
Originally posted by Dupre
what everyone overlooks is that you need a degree in computing to be able to pull it off without faults occuring

so why are there hundreds of people who have done it successfully your telling me they have degrees all of them :rolleyes:

its easy once you understand on what to do brain in gear check if people have one they can do it

Dupre
08-07-2003, 06:36
well actually, i do have a software engineering degree, and its still a very long winded way of doing it, when its being hyped as the best thing since sliced bread!

kronas
08-07-2003, 14:30
Originally posted by Dupre
well actually, i do have a software engineering degree, and its still a very long winded way of doing it, when its being hyped as the best thing since sliced bread!

ofcourse its not going to be easy but as i said once you fully understand what your doing its not brain surgery

BenH
08-07-2003, 18:26
ofcourse its not going to be easy but as i said once you fully understand what your doing its not brain surgery

Having a degree in EE and CS I can confirm that you are completely correct, and if you want to make it even easier, might I recommend this book:

http://hackingthexbox.com/

Regards,

BenH

kronas
08-07-2003, 18:27
yes i know about andrew and his book very interesting guy read some interviews on how he did it