PDA

View Full Version : Two types of dvd

Hearty Welcome
13-02-2004, 14:55
what is the story about two types of dvd disk? Somebody told me that there was a negative and positive version - like the old betamax vhs thing

paulyoung666
13-02-2004, 15:07
what is the story about two types of dvd disk? Somebody told me that there was a negative and positive version - like the old betamax vhs thing

uhhhhh yes there are + and - types of discs :)

any questions ??????????

Hearty Welcome
13-02-2004, 15:42
uhhhhh yes there are + and - types of discs :)

any questions ??????????can you enlighten me on why this is? eg - why one pc can see one and another cannot?

Sociable
13-02-2004, 15:50
can you enlighten me on why this is? eg - why one pc can see one and another cannot?

Basically the difference was because several companies were working on their own system for recorders much as happened with betamax/VHS.

The latest burners can use both standards though so if you are looking to be 100% safe choose one of those. (The Sony is a good example)

The main problem with -R is that is does have compatability problems with some equipment but the blanks are cheaper.

The main problem with +r is the blanks are more expensive but the burned discs are more compatable with more equipment.

As the saying goes "You pays your money and takes your choice".

Most times most devices can see both but you will be a little upset if you buy -r and find your stand alone DVD player can't read them or vice versa.

Hearty Welcome
13-02-2004, 16:02
Basically the difference was because several companies were working on their own system for recorders much as happened with betamax/VHS.

The latest burners can use both standards though so if you are looking to be 100% safe choose one of those. (The Sony is a good example)

The main problem with -R is that is does have compatability problems with some equipment but the blanks are cheaper.

The main problem with +r is the blanks are more expensive but the burned discs are more compatable with more equipment.

As the saying goes "You pays your money and takes your choice".

Most times most devices can see both but you will be a little upset if you buy -r and find your stand alone DVD player can't read them or vice versa.

ah right. I was not aware of that. So the ones you get from amazon are -r or +r? or does this just apply to disk you burn yourself?

Xaccers
13-02-2004, 16:02
Is there a difference in capacity?
All the DVD's I've used are 5GB, but I thought there were some 20GB ones, or is that next year?

altis
13-02-2004, 16:23
Loads of info in this document:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/altisuk/temp/dvd-rtechnologyupdate.pdf

It's a bit long in the tooth now but most of the info is still relevant.

Chris
13-02-2004, 16:25
Download Failed (1)

paulyoung666
13-02-2004, 16:31
Download Failed (1)

you reckon , i am not totally sure yet :D :D :D

Sociable
13-02-2004, 16:53
ah right. I was not aware of that. So the ones you get from amazon are -r or +r? or does this just apply to disk you burn yourself?

The + and - refer to DVD discs used for burning in a non commercial device are not the same as pre recorded DVD's.

One main difference is the capacity of the + & - recordable DVD discs which are 4.7 gig which is only about half that of "commercial" DVD's.

Nemesis
13-02-2004, 17:03
Download Failed (1)
LOL, Towny, your sense of smell is unrivalled :D :rofl:

Sociable
13-02-2004, 17:07
Ah but I'm kind to all gods creatures so for me it matters little if they smell just as long as they don't bite.