PDA

View Full Version : McAfee Update

homealone
11-02-2004, 22:52
dat file should now be 4323 created 11/02/04

- is there a way of getting update notifications for the 'mainstream' antivirus programs pinned on here?

homealone
18-02-2004, 21:39
just had a McAfee update to dat 4325 - that's the second in two days, yesterdays was for

W32/Bagle.b 'at' MM

Ramrod
18-02-2004, 21:40
just had a McAfee update to dat 4325 - that's the second in two days, yesterdays was for

W32/Bagle.b 'at' MM
I got that this morning...
If you want, we can just post here when macfee needs updating :)

Proppinupthebar
18-02-2004, 21:41
Same with Norton. Two updates on consecutive days. I've seen warnings about a new virus on aforum I use with lots of US users.

US warnings of W32.Netsky.B@mm

homealone
18-02-2004, 22:06
I got that this morning...
If you want, we can just post here when macfee needs updating :)

that would be great, thanks Ramrod. :)

swoop101
18-02-2004, 22:15
AVG has updated nearly every day for the last week.
What the hell is going on with the script kiddies :eek:

homealone
18-02-2004, 22:16
Same with Norton. Two updates on consecutive days. I've seen warnings about a new virus on aforum I use with lots of US users.

US warnings of W32.Netsky.B@mm

could they be the same thing? - this is what McAfee had to say

W32/Bagle.b@MM is a Medium Risk mass-mailing worm with a
potentially dangerous remote access component that may open
a backdoor on an infected computer to hackers. Similar
to last month's outbreak, W32/Bagle.b@MM arrives as an
executable attachment inside an email. When run, the virus
emails itself to addresses it steals from the infected
computer, spoofing the "from: field" with one of the
harvested addresses.

If the date is Feb. 25, 2004 or later, the worm simply exits and
does not attempt to spread.

Caution: An infected email can come from addresses you recognize.
------------------------------------------------------------
What to look for:

Subject: ID (random string)... thanks

Attachment: Varies but contains a .exe extension

Body:

Yours ID (random string)
--
Thank

------------------------------------------------------------

Note: The virus does not mass-mail itself to addresses that
contain:

- @hotmail.com
- @msn.com
- @microsoft
- @avp

Up-to-date McAfee VirusScan users with dat 4324 are protected
from this threat.

Proppinupthebar
18-02-2004, 22:23
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/

Theres seperate entries here for the two. Not read them tho.

EDIT- The one I posted about is listed as discovered today.

Ramrod
18-02-2004, 22:31
Homealone, do you have macfee 'security centre'? Whenever there is a virus update it pops up a reminder (in spite of me setting updates to manual :rolleyes: )
*edit* if you don't have it, don't install it as you can never remove it again (at least without uninstalling all mcafee products :afire: )

homealone
18-02-2004, 22:47
Homealone, do you have macfee 'security centre'? Whenever there is a virus update it pops up a reminder (in spite of me setting updates to manual :rolleyes: )
*edit* if you don't have it, don't install it as you can never remove it again (at least without uninstalling all mcafee products :afire: )

yes I do - I also have tried 'playing' with the update options, only to find it does seem to have a 'mind of its own'. Currently it installs updates completely 'automatically'.

I do feel somewhat re-assured I have an up to date VS installation, but would also like to feel a bit more in control - lol :)

Ramrod
18-02-2004, 23:34
yes I do - I also have tried 'playing' with the update options, only to find it does seem to have a 'mind of its own'. Currently it installs updates completely 'automatically'.

I do feel somewhat re-assured I have an up to date VS installation, but would also like to feel a bit more in control - lol :)I used to have it set to auto-update but it kept interrupting (and crashing) online games for me :afire:
You might be able to find out why you can't turn it off here (http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/index.php)...

homealone
19-02-2004, 00:31
I used to have it set to auto-update but it kept interrupting (and crashing) online games for me :afire:
You might be able to find out why you can't turn it off here (http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/index.php)...

links to another forum?

\me don't do games - well maybe GP4 - local?

Shaun
19-02-2004, 01:25
My Norton updated tonight, must be for W32.Netsky.B@mm :D

allanprg
19-02-2004, 01:30
Yes my Norton updated for the past 3 days. Including today. Must be the various latest versions of the worms going around. :)

allanprg
19-02-2004, 01:35
Just had a email from Symantec. The W32.netsky.B@mm is up to severe now. Scale 4 of 1-5. :) So watch for any dodgy emails. :)

Ramrod
19-02-2004, 09:37
Mcafee virus update 4326 is now available

danielf
19-02-2004, 10:57
I suggest people update quickly. I received about 10 mails with the Netsky virus on my work account this morning...

gary_580
19-02-2004, 11:21
hahaha the company i work for got Netsky last night!!! ONe of the servers is full of the files that netsky delivers. Funny thing is they us sophos and when you go to this server it tells you that netsky is present, if it can tell you its present why did it let it in??

Proppinupthebar
19-02-2004, 18:41
My Norton updated again this evening, thats at least four days on the trot!

kronas
19-02-2004, 18:43
My Norton updated again this evening, thats at least four days on the trot!

it seems the antivirus compaines are working over time...........

Ramrod
24-02-2004, 16:59
New antivirus update is out.

Shaun
24-02-2004, 18:05
Norton did it again yesterday and today :)

Paul
24-02-2004, 18:21
The current DAT for Mcafee is now 4327 and the scan engine is 4.3.20.

It is important to make sure the scan engine is current - otherwise you will miss detecting things like netsky-b even though you have the latest Dat file.

Ramrod
24-02-2004, 18:36
The current DAT for Mcafee is now 4327 and the scan engine is 4.3.20.

It is important to make sure the scan engine is current - otherwise you will miss detecting things like netsky-b even though you have the latest Dat file.How do you check what engine you are running?

Paul
24-02-2004, 18:45
How do you check what engine you are running?

Right click on the system tray icon (shield ?) and choose "about" - it should tell you your dat and scan engine details

Ramrod
24-02-2004, 18:56
Right click on the system tray icon (shield ?) and choose "about" - it should tell you your dat and scan engine details
Why don't they put up that info when you click on 'about' on the virusscan screen :rolleyes:
Cheers for that :D

homealone
24-02-2004, 19:02
Why don't the put that up that info when you click on 'about' on the virusscan screen :rolleyes:
Cheers for that :D

mine has installed a button in my Google tool bar, with an 'about' option that shows the engine & dat versions - very handy :)

Ramrod
24-02-2004, 19:43
mine has installed a button in my Google tool bar, with an 'about' option that shows the engine & dat versions - very handy :)omfg-mine too :eek: , I didn't even notice that. The sneaky buggers :afire: :rolleyes:

Ramrod
25-02-2004, 22:13
Update 4328 now available. Get it while it's hot! :D

homealone
25-02-2004, 22:35
Update 4328 now available. Get it while it's hot! :D

thanks for that Ramrod - I just downloaded & installed :tu:

Paul
25-02-2004, 22:42
Auto-update :D

Ramrod
25-02-2004, 23:28
Auto-update :D
Then it tries to update in the middle of an online gaming session :rolleyes:

homealone
28-02-2004, 09:07
McAfee dat 4329 is now available :)

Ramrod
28-02-2004, 10:51
McAfee dat 4329 is now available :)Beat me to it :D

Paul
28-02-2004, 13:12
Then it tries to update in the middle of an online gaming session :rolleyes:

Then set it to a time you don't play - mine is 6am in the morning. :)

Ramrod
01-03-2004, 09:10
4330 available :)

homealone
01-03-2004, 09:16

Thanks Ramrod.:)

homealone
02-03-2004, 23:29

Indeed - as is 4331

swoop101
03-03-2004, 06:31
Big Avg6 update out, program and database change.

homealone
03-03-2004, 07:24
blimey, 4332 available now :)

zoombini
03-03-2004, 08:23
In responce to the original post of this thread, any mainstream antivirus program will check with home & update itself automatically, there should be no need for update releases to be posted here.

If your on broadband then set your AV program to check for updates every day.

I have Mcafee at work & AVG at home & both are completely automatic in thier updates.

Ramrod
03-03-2004, 23:35
In responce to the original post of this thread, any mainstream antivirus program will check with home & update itself automatically, there should be no need for update releases to be posted here.

I have Mcafee at work & AVG at home & both are completely automatic in thier updates.As stated previously, auto-update checks interfere with online gaming, in my experience. :(

.....btw....4333 out now :D

homealone
03-03-2004, 23:46
As stated previously, auto-update checks interfere with online gaming, in my experience. :(

.....btw....4333 out now :D

thanks Ramrod

iadom
03-03-2004, 23:54

I have Mcafee at work & AVG at home & both are completely automatic in thier updates.Very true. My Av from Authentium/Command has auto updated deffiles 5 times in the past 48 hours. Now up to W32/Bagle.J@mm

homealone
03-03-2004, 23:59

I have Mcafee at work & AVG at home & both are completely automatic in thier updates.

I disagree, sorry, there are several reasons why an 'auto update' will fail - an 'heads up' in a thread like this is a bonus, imo - why are you dissin' it?

MovedGoalPosts
04-03-2004, 00:29
For the home user, you might be prepared to take the risk and set your A?V to update manually, or at an odd time of day so it doesn't interfere with your gaming. A major factor in that is whether you are disciplined enough not to open email attachments, which are the primary payload using all sorts of social engineering tricks to entice the user to get the virus onto the PC. Once you have had the inconvenience of a virus attack, you will happily sacrifice a blip in your online gaming or whatever, against a day or more of restoring your 'puter.

A major factor in how often you need to check for updates is the amount of email you handle. The more contacts you have, the more probable one of your contacts will get infected and unknowingly send you something (that neither you contact or you is aware is being sent).

In business environments, the situation gets even worse. My office has 11 users. Today alone we received 20 virus infected emails. That's why our ofice A/V is set to check for updates many times a day.

However, most of the dodgy emails are our residential based cleint. The dodgy emais often spoof their email addys. Whilst rapid virus propogation needs corporate networks, residential users are the weak link in virus prevention.

iadom
04-03-2004, 09:37
Very true. My Av from Authentium/Command has auto updated deffiles 5 times in the past 48 hours. Now up to W32/Bagle.J@mmForgot to mention, I also get automatic email notification the instant an updated deffile has been posted.

zoombini
04-03-2004, 10:26
I'm not "dissin" the posting of when an update is available, but I am saying that I think its a waste putting it here, why spend the time coming here to look for an update when you can update the program manually or automatically yourself.

Yes some may have a problem with autoupdating & they will just have to go onto the website & download it manually, others however may not & can get the update automatically.

If auto updating interferes with online gaming then you have to figure out what you want most, to play games & risk getting viruses or to play games without the risk.

For the time that it takes you to come here, search for the thread about an update which someone may not have posted you might as well just open your AV program and click on "check for updates"!

Who is going to keep checking for the updates from many AV programs & thier different sites and then post the information here?
Is that really a good use of someone elses time, checking what you cannot be bothered to do yourself?

ALL mainstream AV programs that have auto updating facilities also have manual updating facilities, either by the programs options or by checking the website itself.

If you have technical difficulties in doing this, go to the makers website, find the update page & bookmark it. Then use that when you want to find out the update.

Either way if there is an update available & you cannot use autoupdate then you have to manually get it anyway so why not just manually do the check yourself.

:(

Ramrod
04-03-2004, 11:18
I'm not "dissin" the posting of when an update is available, but I am saying that I think its a waste putting it here, why spend the time coming here to look for an update when you can update the program manually or automatically yourself.

Yes some may have a problem with autoupdating & they will just have to go onto the website & download it manually, others however may not & can get the update automatically.

If auto updating interferes with online gaming then you have to figure out what you want most, to play games & risk getting viruses or to play games without the risk.

For the time that it takes you to come here, search for the thread about an update which someone may not have posted you might as well just open your AV program and click on "check for updates"!

Who is going to keep checking for the updates from many AV programs & thier different sites and then post the information here?
Is that really a good use of someone elses time, checking what you cannot be bothered to do yourself?

ALL mainstream AV programs that have auto updating facilities also have manual updating facilities, either by the programs options or by checking the website itself.

If you have technical difficulties in doing this, go to the makers website, find the update page & bookmark it. Then use that when you want to find out the update.

Either way if there is an update available & you cannot use autoupdate then you have to manually get it anyway so why not just manually do the check yourself.

:(You are just too sensible for us :D

homealone
04-03-2004, 22:20

:(

ok, very good points there, zoombini, all i would say is that I am already logged in on here & someone elses auto or manual update discovers a new version & they posted the info, I would find out 'here & now'- I entirely agree with you that using the AV update facility is preferable to logging in here 'just' to find out the state of play.:)

theman
15-03-2004, 14:55
i had McAfee internet security it was a nightmare i would not recommend it i had more trouble with it then a little when i tried to unstalled it it was no go so i had to clean all my computer and start again

Ramrod
15-03-2004, 14:58
i had McAfee internet security it was a nightmare i would not recommend it i had more trouble with it then a little when i tried to unstalled it it was no go so i had to clean all my computer and start againYep, and their 'privacy service' is worse than useless.

Paul
16-03-2004, 20:10
I notice Bagle has reached variant "p" now - I wonder what happens after "z" :)

iadom
16-03-2004, 20:46
I notice Bagle has reached variant "p" now - I wonder what happens after "z" :)
They will then call it "Matzo A" :)

homealone
16-03-2004, 21:00
Yep, and their 'privacy service' is worse than useless.

glad I didn't go for that, then ;)

The McAfee AV has been flawless so far, for me though, plenty of updates (dat 4338 atm) & in combo with mailwasher pro it has been invaluable lately.............