View Full Version : Boils

yesman
11-02-2004, 16:56
Anyone got any good cures or quick remedies, I am in agony :bigcry:

can't see the quack for 2 days

DrAwesome
11-02-2004, 17:08
lancing & sucking out the crap/cores of boils

if you have them on your neck you can heat the top of a empty milk bottle using very hot water (dont fill the milk bottle full of hot water) place the hot empty milk bottle over the boil keeping the presure on will draw the puss & crap out of the boil.

If you burst them just using your hands you could leave a scar.

iadom
11-02-2004, 17:31
A hot Kaoline poultice. I just remember that as a kid. It was a sticky slimy paste that you heated up in its tin then put it on a cotton wad and slapped it on the boil to draw it out. It hurt like hell.

I don't think you can buy tins of kaoline anymore but if you google it, you will find that it has hundreds of uses.

paulyoung666
11-02-2004, 17:38
lancing & sucking out the crap/cores of boils

if you have them on your neck you can heat the top of a empty milk bottle using very hot water (dont fill the milk bottle full of hot water) place the hot empty milk bottle over the boil keeping the presure on will draw the puss & crap out of the boil.

If you burst them just using your hands you could leave a scar.

only if it is ripe enough to be nearly ready to burst on its own , feel for you yesman , i had one in a very delicate place and ended up in hospital for a operation to sort it out , not very nice :( , dont let the doctors **** you about , if it is that bad you want it sorting out asap , you dont want blood poisoning from it :eek: :eek:

Marge
11-02-2004, 17:51
Anyone got any good cures or quick remedies, I am in agony :bigcry:

can't see the quack for 2 days

As an ex-GP receptionist I suggest you ring the doc's again, explain politely but firmly that you are literally in agony and would really appreciate an emergency appointment, I'm sure they could/should be able to fit you in somewhere. All the surgeries that I knew of had provisions for "extras" at some point in the day.

yesman
11-02-2004, 17:51
I realise this really isn't the place to ask what I did, but at times "anything will do" when you are desperate, anyway I called the surgery back and the doctor came to the phone and prescribed me some anti-biotics over the phone (strange), but to call back if things didn't improve.

Also thanks for all your replies.
The boil is under my arm btw, about the size of a medium size egg, and it ruddy well hurts, off to have a hot bath now and see if that helps.

Thanks

paulyoung666
11-02-2004, 17:55
I realise this really isn't the place to ask what I did, but at times "anything will do" when you are desperate, anyway I called the surgery back and the doctor came to the phone and prescribed me some anti-biotics over the phone (strange), but to call back if things didn't improve.

The boil is under my arm btw, about the size of a medium size egg, and it ruddy well hurts, off to have a hot bath now and see if that helps.

Thanks

a and e for you i think , dont leave it too late , they prescribed you antibiotics over the phone :eek: without seeing you , let me know who your doctors are so i make sure i never go there :eek: :eek: :eek:

Marge
11-02-2004, 17:56
a and e for you i think , dont leave it too late , they prescribed you antibiotics over the phone :eek: without seeing you , let me know who your doctors are so i make sure i never go there :eek: :eek: :eek:

This is quite common believe it or not :erm:

Sociable
11-02-2004, 17:58
Feel for ya yesman I suffer badly from these and also cysts and like paul ended up in surgery for one persistant one to be dealt with.

Main thing is not to mess with it if you can resist the urge as if it is bad it will probably need you to be on anti-biotics to clear any infection.

paulyoung666
11-02-2004, 17:59
This is quite common believe it or not :erm:

never in this world :eek: :eek: , surely a doctor must see you to prscribe medication :(

Sociable
11-02-2004, 18:03
never in this world :eek: :eek: , surely a doctor must see you to prscribe medication :(

Depends entirely on the situation I think though most surgeries now will ask you to see the practice nurse at least before giving a prescription.

In this case the Dr would have had the medical records in front of him and from the conversation would be able to safely prescribe an anti-biotic I would have thought.

Marge
11-02-2004, 18:09

Well as I'm not a GP I can't say for sure the ethics of it all but it was quite common. For example if we got a report back from the labs saying that someone needed anti-biotics for an infection they would suggest which ones would fight it and then the GP would prescribe it. They check whether the patient has a penicillin allergy cos they don't want to kill them off :eek: Also most conditions ie sore throat don't really need examining by a GP so we found the drugs do work!!

However having seen quite a few people who had symptoms but didn't do anything about them, as they thought it was nothing, went on to develop lung cancer, breast cancer etc etc so anything unusual I would definately recommend a visit to the GP.

yesman
11-02-2004, 19:10
In this case the Dr would have had the medical records in front of him and from the conversation would be able to safely prescribe an anti-biotic I would have thought.

Correct, that is exactly what did happen.

By Debsy They check whether the patient has a penicillin allergy cos they don't want to kill them off

I have been having penicillin on and off since I was about 2 years old.
If ever bacteria beat off penicillin as it is rumoured it might, I am not sure where I and many others would stand with a case such as this one.

Xaccers
11-02-2004, 19:18
I have been having penicillin on and off since I was about 2 years old.
If ever bacteria beat off penicillin as it is rumoured it might, I am not sure where I and many others would stand with a case such as this one.

There are plenty of non-penicilin based anti-biotics and plenty of penicilin based anti-biotics that still work with most infections.
Of course as long as people don't take enough anti-biotics (ie don't finish their course) the effectiveness of them will continue to decrease.

Of course there's plenty of research into other forms of anti bacterial agents from viruses to looking into crocodile blood.

yesman
11-02-2004, 19:28
There are plenty of non-penicilin based anti-biotics and plenty of penicilin based anti-biotics that still work with most infections.
Of course as long as people don't take enough anti-biotics (ie don't finish their course) the effectiveness of them will continue to decrease.

Of course there's plenty of research into other forms of anti bacterial agents from viruses to looking into crocodile blood.
I am glad to hear it Xaccers, but the following does not make for very good reading; but I have heard of other drugs being used to treat similar ailments.

ANTIBIOTICS 'USELESS' AGAINST BUGS BY 2015 Sep 29 2003
HUMANS will be resistant to ALL antibiotics in 12 years, a leading scientist warned yesterday.

And the crisis could turn diseases and minor infections that are easily treated now into killers. Even *****ing your finger in the garden could be life-threatening.

Professor Hugh McGavock said: "It is catastrophic. It is probably worse than Aids." He blamed "gross over-prescribing" by doctors and in the farming industry over the last 50 years.

The overuse of antibiotics has led to the evolution of bugs that are now resistant to standard medicines, such as penicillin.

Prof McGavock, of the University of Ulster, added: "The result of increased use is the normal bacteria which are killed by antibiotics have come under threat so that those bacteria which have been able to develop resistance have flourished and prospered.

"We are faced not just with resistance to one antibiotic but multi-drug resistance. If things go on as they are, by 2015, at the latest, we are going to have a situation where thousands of people will die from relatively simple infections which nowadays are totally curable by antibiotics.

"I am talking about children, teenagers, people in the prime of life. They will die from pneumonia, they will die from septicaemia.

"Someone will ***** his finger in the garden and six days later will be dead from septicaemia.

"As many as one in 1,000 people will die in the UK as a result of infections we can't treat."

He claimed the majority of operations would have to be stopped because antibiotics were needed for surgery.

The professor said the record numbers suffering from superbug MRSA was proof that the problem was already beginning.

MRSA, in hospitals and care homes, is resistant to most antibiotics and can kill. More than 7,000 people were hit last year.

A spokeswoman for the Department of Health said: "The Chief Medical Officer has identified antibiotics as an area for action." A new strain is being developed which makes it harder for bugs to become immune.

Xaccers
11-02-2004, 19:33
We'll just have to introduce what the hebrews did (named quarentine by the Romans)

You have little huts outside the city a safe distance away.
The sick go there and after "forty days and forty nights" (hebrew slang for a long time, and where the romans got quarentine from) the patient is checked on, if they're well, they can come back, if still ill, they're left for another long time, if dead, their body and clothes are burnt

Sociable
11-02-2004, 20:05
The main danger is not directly over use but inappropriate use mainly in the form of people not completing a course of treatment.

The process is simple in that what happens if you cut the course short (usually cos you are starting to feel better) some bugs will still be present.

The bugs still around are those with highest resistance to the specific anti-biotic. This is how the so called super bugs get created by the process of natural selection with the most resistant bugs surviving being the fittest.

As a side issue, I think this also explains the growing concern with the use of anti-biotics in farm animals as the meat can effectively add to this process by passing on a weaker version of the anti-biotic to humans.

Point I am making is that each of us has a part to play in maintaining not just our own health but also that of others by following the advice of the doctors when it comes to always completing a course of anti-biotics as prescribed.

Xaccers
11-02-2004, 20:32
Of course, if we all took antibiotics everyday we'd wipe out most bugs anyway.
Although our digestive systems would suffer (killing all those good bacteria) and most women would have thrush, oh and not to mention that most kids would end up with serious allergies (recent study has shown that getting two infections before the age of 1 seriously reduces your likelyhood of having an allergy)

Another problem with anti-biotic resistant bacteria is they can swap genes with other types of bacteria, thus spreading the resistance.

Maggy
11-02-2004, 20:41

Thanks

Sometimes the old remedy of salt dissolved in hot/warm water can help to bring a boil to the point.Had to do it for my old cat when she had a poisoned abcess/boil type thing on her back.I also remember my mother treating a boil like this for me when I was a child.Unfortunately it does nothing for alleviating the pain from the boil. :(

Incog.