PDA

View Full Version : Can I pay broadband rental with debit card?

dirtydog
11-02-2004, 10:22
I 'migrated' my dial-up account to 150k broadband last week, and at the time I ordered it over the phone I was told I could no longer pay for it by debit card, and would be sent a Direct Debit form through the post.

I haven't received the form yet; anyway I am now wondering if I can pay by debit card after all? I just logged into my account on the ntlworld website and it says no card is registered to me (it was previously for dial-up). If I register my card again, will it take the broadband rental that way? Or does it have to be direct debit for some reason?

I imagine someone here knows the answer to this! Thanks in advance :)

btw, while I'm here, has anyone got an email address for ntl customer services as when I tried emailing them via the ntlworld site, it bounced back the other day.

paulyoung666
11-02-2004, 10:26
is this (http://www.ntlhome.com/contact/) what you used to contact them ?????????? , i dont know about the debit card , but if you use any other way to pay , i.e. at the post office it costs you more because it is not a direct debit , thieving *******s :mad: :mad:

dirtydog
11-02-2004, 10:32
is this (http://www.ntlhome.com/contact/) what you used to contact them ?????????? , i dont know about the debit card , but if you use any other way to pay , i.e. at the post office it costs you more because it is not a direct debit , thieving *******s :mad: :mad:
Yeah that's what I used - I meant ntlhome rather than ntlworld :o

Re my payment method, I just looked again and the option is to change your 'dial-up payment method' so I guess that answers my question.. :no:

I wonder why they take dial-up payment that way, but not bb.. the mysteries of ntl eh :pp Like why you get separate bills and direct debits for phone rental and phone calls :rolleyes: (or did - I've now ditched the phone and TV package :D)

paulyoung666
11-02-2004, 10:43
good old ntl for you , mind you , iirc they charge an extra £2 / month for non direct debit , sky charge £4 / month for non direct debit :eek: :eek: :eek: , now that is daylight robbery :mad:

Stuartbe
11-02-2004, 10:45
good old ntl for you , mind you , iirc they charge an extra £2 / month for non direct debit , sky charge £4 / month for non direct debit :eek: :eek: :eek: , now that is daylight robbery :mad:

Yeah !! Then NTL miss one debit - charge you double on the next one and land me with a £35.00 fee from my bank as there was not enough money in the account :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

paulyoung666
11-02-2004, 11:16
Yeah !! Then NTL miss one debit - charge you double on the next one and land me with a £35.00 fee from my bank as there was not enough money in the account :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

but surely if it was their fault then you have a case to get the charges refunded , dont you :confused:

Stuartbe
11-02-2004, 11:28
but surely if it was their fault then you have a case to get the charges refunded , dont you :confused:

Oh yes....

I could ring them :) ----- No cant get through !! :(

I could email them :) ------- No cant get a reply :(

I could send them a letter :) -------- No cant get a reply :(

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

paulyoung666
11-02-2004, 11:30
Oh yes....

I could ring them :) ----- No cant get through !! :(

I could email them :) ------- No cant get a reply :(

I could send them a letter :) -------- No cant get a reply :(

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

what about your local office , how far away from that are you , the only time i had a problem with billing i went to see them after more than enough fruitless phone calls , i got it sorted very quickly when talking to someone face to face , maybe worth a thought :)

Stuartbe
11-02-2004, 11:36
what about your local office , how far away from that are you , the only time i had a problem with billing i went to see them after more than enough fruitless phone calls , i got it sorted very quickly when talking to someone face to face , maybe worth a thought :)

Nice idea - but it will cost me more than £35.00 in terms of time of work ect...

I have allready written it off. I now no longer use DD for anything...

paulyoung666
11-02-2004, 12:10
Nice idea - but it will cost me more than £35.00 in terms of time of work ect...

I have allready written it off. I now no longer use DD for anything...

fair play mate , like i said it was just a thought :(

Stuartbe
11-02-2004, 12:20
fair play mate , like i said it was just a thought :(

Thanks for the idea m8 - I have pretty much written it off in the same way that I have written off ever getting a decent speed on my SCM...

DrAwesome
11-02-2004, 12:21
I did once pay by dd before NTL took over Comcast & getting any credit out of them when they over charged me took over 6 weeks even when they insisted a better way would be to credit my account.
Since then i always paid my NTL bill by switch as soon as the bill landed.. (after sorting out any due credits that did'nt for some reason appear on the bill)

If they didnt pay back what they took by mistake & if there were any delays i would send NTL a letter telling them if they didnt give me back the money they took i would charge them interest by a certain date.

As a last resort i would go and visit them in person.

Stuartbe
11-02-2004, 12:25
I did once pay by dd before NTL took over Comcast & getting any credit out of them when they over charged me took over 6 weeks even when they insisted a better way would be to credit my account.
Since then i always paid my NTL bill by switch as soon as the bill landed.. (after sorting out any due credits that did'nt for some reason appear on the bill)

If they didnt pay back what they took by mistake & if there were any delays i would send NTL a letter telling them if they didnt give me back the money they took i would charge them interest by a certain date.

As a last resort i would go and visit them in person.

Good old NTL :D I usualy find 20cc's of diamorphine helps when you call them :D

Musicman
11-02-2004, 12:33
Well I pay mine by credit card, though they keep asking if I would like to go to DD.

Just to be annoying I do this, though I do get 13p back via points/rewards!

DrAwesome
11-02-2004, 12:34
You are quite in your right to charge any company interest as long as you give them written notice (by recorded delivery) of your intensions & the reason.

Usually you will find that you will get a quick reply in your favour.

Stuartbe
11-02-2004, 13:30
You are quite in your right to charge any company interest as long as you give them written notice (by recorded delivery) of your intensions & the reason.

Usually you will find that you will get a quick reply in your favour.

At 450% apr !!! :D

Pyromanic
13-02-2004, 23:36
At 450% apr !!! :D

why not, my bank charged me 5 pounds a day for going 40p overdrawn, I ended up paying over hundred pounds in the end because I only found out a month later! Just give em fair notice of the interest rate :)

Marge
13-02-2004, 23:42
I would presume you are having the Broadband via the Cable Modem??

Due to the way the system is set up you can pay by either DD or continous credit card but not with switch/solo, sorry !!

You can make one-off payments with switch/solo however ;)

Hell Fighter
14-02-2004, 02:11

ntl charge you your monthly line rental costs which cover the cost of providing the services you have - in my case, telephone, television, and broadband.

Why, therefore, have you got a problem with them charging you an administration charge to cover the costs of receiving payments other than through a direct debit?

Similiarly to if you didn't want to pay £10 to cover the costs of ntl providing the Family Pack you would remove it, if you don't want to pay the £2 admin fee then you setup a direct debit.

If for some reason you can't setup a direct debit, or refuse to, then unfortunately you must pay the additional costs incurred in processing a manual payment.

Maggy
15-02-2004, 21:13
why not, my bank charged me 5 pounds a day for going 40p overdrawn, I ended up paying over hundred pounds in the end because I only found out a month later! Just give em fair notice of the interest rate :)

I hope you protested and got shirty about that.Who are your bank by the way?

scrotnig
16-02-2004, 19:27
If it's a Stand Alone Cable Modem account (SACM) these can be paid by EITHER direct debit OR continuous authority credit card.

In practice, this means if you have a DEBIT card, if it's Visa Delta, it should work, but if it's Switch/Solo, it will NOT work, as Switch/Solo can only be used for ONE OFF payments.

paulyoung666
16-02-2004, 19:38
If it's a Stand Alone Cable Modem account (SACM) these can be paid by EITHER direct debit OR continuous authority credit card.

In practice, this means if you have a DEBIT card, if it's Visa Delta, it should work, but if it's Switch/Solo, it will NOT work, as Switch/Solo can only be used for ONE OFF payments.

talk about confusing , not you mark btw , ntl :( :( :(

Frank
16-02-2004, 21:18
talk about confusing , not you mark btw , ntl :( :( :(Sounds like a llimitation of Switch to me mate, rather than ntl's fault. Fair's fair and all that :angel:

Also, as Hell Fighter says, if you want to pay by a method other than DD then be prepared to pay a £2 admin fee, which I think is quite reasonable.

I had an electricity company screw my DD up once and they made me incur a £40 unauthorised overdraft fee because of it. I rang up the bank and they returned the money as you are entitled under the DD guarantee, which is what it's for after all. The bank kept their £40 fee though, and the leccy company provided me with a nice cheque for £40 by time I was done with them.

I personally don't have a problem with DD, it's a low maintenance system and comes out at the same time each month. Of course it may not be suitable for everyone though. I think that a lot of people are scared of ntl screwing up their DD's, but they just have to remember their rights under the DD guarantee (and exercise them if they need to).

Maggy
16-02-2004, 21:24
Sounds like a llimitation of Switch to me mate, rather than ntl's fault. Fair's fair and all that :angel:

Also, as Hell Fighter says, if you want to pay by a method other than DD then be prepared to pay a £2 admin fee, which I think is quite reasonable.

I had an electricity company screw my DD up once and they made me incur a £40 unauthorised overdraft fee because of it. I rang up the bank and they returned the money as you are entitled under the DD guarantee, which is what it's for after all. The bank kept their £40 fee though, and the leccy company provided me with a nice cheque for £40 by time I was done with them.

I personally don't have a problem with DD, it's a low maintenance system and comes out at the same time each month. Of course it may not be suitable for everyone though. I think that a lot of people are scared of ntl screwing up their DD's, but they just have to remember their rights under the DD guarantee (and exercise them if they need to).

I have always used DD with NTL.I've thus far(touching wood here)had no problems with billing problems.However I would rather use DD for paying ALL my bills because I am protected against basic stupidity and I do have a comeback with my bank.

dpjnr
01-04-2005, 01:56
I 'migrated' my dial-up account to 150k broadband last week, and at the time I ordered it over the phone I was told I could no longer pay for it by debit card, and would be sent a Direct Debit form through the post.

I haven't received the form yet; anyway I am now wondering if I can pay by debit card after all? I just logged into my account on the ntlworld website and it says no card is registered to me (it was previously for dial-up). If I register my card again, will it take the broadband rental that way? Or does it have to be direct debit for some reason?

I imagine someone here knows the answer to this! Thanks in advance :)

btw, while I'm here, has anyone got an email address for ntl customer services as when I tried emailing them via the ntlworld site, it bounced back the other day.

hi dog you cant be made to pay by dd (direct debit) thats your choice however if ntl quatd you a price for your serivces (if paying by dd) then they can charge you extra on you package. sorry if this is too late but dont get much chance to read these

scrotnig
01-04-2005, 08:54
Well, customer services has been easy to get through to for at least the last two months now, I have not had any problems whenever I have had to pass anyone through.

Paul
01-04-2005, 09:06
Well, customer services has been easy to get through to for at least the last two months now, I have not had any problems whenever I have had to pass anyone through.Well this topic is well over a year old - so things have had time to improve ..... ;)

scrotnig
01-04-2005, 09:09
Well this topic is well over a year old - so things have had time to improve ..... ;)
Hmmm...thread necromancy again. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/04/8.gif

gavnad
02-04-2005, 11:25
SACM can be paid by credit/debit card and you should be able to update your details via ntlworld.com,1 thing to remember is that the payment is taken on your bill date (approx 19 days prior to the dd going out of your account) and you get no pre-notification